Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did it all go wrong (or very right) for ....

Options
  • 13-01-2015 10:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

A thread about people in the movie industry who had it all and then lost it. Be it fame, their talent or whatever.

I'll start with John McTiernan

He directs the two greatest Action films of all time in the late 80s back to back. Predator and Die Hard are both faultless and would rank in many people's all time top tens.

Today? He is a man who has prison time under his belt and his first film in years to be released this year doesnt look too hot http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103237/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

How can the man who gave us this

And this

fall so far from grace?

Where did it all go wrong for John McTiernan?

Add your own "Where did it all go wrong for ...." but please make it more than a one line reply.

Edir: Thread was far too pessimistic for my liking. Add your "Where did it all go right for ..." stories too.

Where did it all go right for Ben Affleck? What a turnaround!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Bill Murray. I mean, wtf!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Birneybau wrote: »
    Bill Murray. I mean, wtf!?

wNvT7e9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,581 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I expect John McTiernan rightly thought to himself: "Well, I'm never gonna top that."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

In a similar Vein:

Michael Biehn...

Two of the biggest films ever made in the mid 80's in Terminator and Aliens and followed on with films up to the early 90's like Tombstone and the abyss.

He is/was a much better actor then the other action stars of the day and while looking at his IMDB page he's actually surprisingly to me found allot of work in the last 20 years I always felt he should have been up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,581 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Where the hell did Mike Myers go?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Ol' Donie wrote: »

The Love Guru put his career to rest. He might stand a chance to come back if he were to somehow revive Austin Powers for one more film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Making ****ty sequels that no one asked for. I've been thinking for a while, now is the right time for Wayne's World 3. The rock superstars of today are just regular old pop stars. What're Wayne's and Garth's thoughts on this? How can they solve the problem? Now Myers and Carvey have somewhat buried the hatchet, I have my fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Michael Keaton

...oh wait :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Assault on Precinct 13
    Halloween
    The Fog
    Escape From NY
    The Thing
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Prince of Darkness
    They Live

8 classics, John Carpenter, legend of the horror genre hasn't made a decent flick since the late 80's. Where did that all go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Michael Madsen.

Thelma & Louise, Reservoir Dogs, Free Willy, Wyatt Earp, Donnie Brasco, Kill Bill.
    Then he went bankrupt and signed on to do anything, literally anything. Maybe things would have been different if he'd played Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction.

He's supposed to be in Tarantino's upcoming Hateful Eight though, so it may act as a chance for him to get his career back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Michael Madsen.

Thelma & Louise, Reservoir Dogs, Free Willy, Wyatt Earp, Donnie Brasco, Kill Bill.
    Then he went bankrupt and signed on to do anything, literally anything. Maybe things would have been different if he'd played Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction.

He's supposed to be in Tarantino's upcoming Hateful Eight though, so it may act as a chance for him to get his career back on track.

I watched some bare knuckle traveler boxing thing with him and vinnie Jones the other night. Good God it was horific, I thought pretty much what you wrote there. I wonder could he have had John Travolta's career if he'd done pulp fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not far away enough? :pac: I think I've only ever seen one of his films in full - Inglorious Basterds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Michael Madsen.

Poetry seems to be his thing now, and family rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Victor wrote: »
    Not far away enough? :pac: I think I've only ever seen one of his films in full - Inglorious Basterds.

I'd hardly call that 'one of his films'.

Hal Ashby would be my serious answer. Made a few great films and then went into a horrible decline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Ashby

http://magazine.good.is/articles/the_directors_director

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

He is meant to of been making more than 10 million dollars per movie for voicing Shrek in each sequel. I would say he is quite content with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

Thora Birch! One of the most promising actors of her generation and she has pretty much vanished from relevance. I don't know how much of it is true, but there have been stories that her father (who acts as her manager) has a lot to do with her career path - allegedly he's a weird, obsessive perve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

he's probably not considered a great actor but this thread made me think of Steve Guttenberg. He seemed to everywhere when I was a kid in the 80's---Police Academy, Cocoon, 3 men and a baby, short circuit etc.
    But pretty much disappeared around 1990.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

he's probably not considered a great actor but this thread made me think of Steve Guttenberg. He seemed to everywhere when I was a kid in the 80's---Police Academy, Cocoon, 3 men and a baby, short circuit etc.
    But pretty much disappeared around 1990.
    He hadn't a hope after the Stonecutters disbanded, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Assault on Precinct 13
    Halloween
    The Fog
    Escape From NY
    The Thing
    Prince of Darkness
    They Live

8 classics, John Carpenter, legend of the horror genre hasn't made a decent flick since the late 80's. Where did that all go wrong?

Bit harsh. In The Mouth Of Madness is a great film. His two episodes for Masters Of Horror are two of the best in the series. I also really like Vampires and The Ward, so I wouldn't say his later career has been a total disaster.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    to somehow revive Austin Powers for one more film.

Hollywood being Hollywood, you know this is going to happen at some stage

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    I watched some bare knuckle traveler boxing thing with him and vinnie Jones the other night. Good God it was horific, I thought pretty much what you wrote there. I wonder could he have had John Travolta's career if he'd done pulp fiction

Strength and Honour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Jerry Bruckheimer he had potential.

Victor wrote: »

I bumped into him coming out of arnotts years ago, he was over for planet Hollywood. looks like a boyscout. Apparently a nightmare to work with. he frequently tops the most hated stars list with Catherine heigel!!

It's gas though, these people may just know there own minds and be close to normal in real life. Just cos you don't fancy the casting couch etc, you're labelled a diva in Hollywood, well maybe.

^^^^^
    Yeah it is another case of "What happened to..." Catherine Heigel
    Saying that, her comments after Knocked Up would make anyone think twice about taking her for a role

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^^^
    Yeah it is another case of "What happened to..." Catherine Heigel
    Saying that, her comments after Knocked Up would make anyone think twice about taking her for a role

What did she say?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I think John Carpenter is a director who just seemed to lose his way somewhat, though I think when we namecheck Carpenters highlights, it's worth pointing out just how important the contribution of his erstwhile DP, Dean Cundey was in forming the classics that we know of: something like The Fog or Halloween worked as much because of Cundey's haunting, beautiful camerawork as it was Carpenter's vision.

It's hard to credit that the guy who made The Thing or Halloween went on to make Ghosts of Mars and Escape from LA (albeit the latter being a misguided sequel to an original movie that was itself a bit cheesy to begin with).

Maybe he was another victim of The Thing, and this facsimile John Carpenter is doing his best to integrate into society, absorbing others as he drifts through Hollywood ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Faith+1 wrote: »
    What did she say?

Copy and paste from google:

What's soured many in the industry, according to several executives and producers who have worked with Heigl, is more than just the exceptionally difficult behavior and demands of Heigl and her manager mother, Nancy. There also is Heigl's habit of airing her grievances in public, including her 2008 denunciation of her first hit film, Knocked Up, as "sexist," as well as her announcement later that year that she would not seek an Emmy for her performance in ABC's Grey's Anatomy because the writing wasn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

M Night Shynamanamanaman

The 6th sense came outta nowhere and was brilliant, Unbreakable and Signs were pretty good. The rest of his movies since, well the ones I have seen were terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Assault on Precinct 13
    Halloween
    The Fog
    Escape From NY
    The Thing
    Prince of Darkness
    They Live

While my cut off would be earlier yes Carpenter is a great example of directors who burn themselves out after an intense early career.

I'll top him though with Walter Hill. Six lean and mean classics -

Hard Times/The Driver/The Warriors/Southern Comfort/The Long Riders/48 Hours

and then the collapse into mediocrity - Streets of Fire/Crossroads/Brewsters Millions/Another 48 Hours and so on.

Of course the ultimate example is Orson Welles! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Jerry Bruckheimer he had potential.

An understated director.

Advertisement