Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free energy!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

First of all people seem to have gotten the idea that I am a believer in Steorn and every snakeoil crackpot theory out there. I AM NOT. My point is only that if they set up their experiment and it GENUINELY creates more energy than it consumes then it has to be taken seriously. I don't believe for a minute that it will though.

OK ONE LAST TIME - MY POINTS ARE:
    1. I think it's highly unlikely Steorn have anything and personally think they are deluded.
    2. That is not to say that without a Ph.D and hundreds of peer-reviewed papers you have nothing of value to contribute to physics (or any science for that matter). These days it's less likely than before but not impossible. Of course you have to produce a paper to be reviewed.
    3. If you have discovered something impossible from our current understanding of physics (e.g. you can travel faster than light, create gigawatts of power from thin air with a penknife and a piece of string a la McGyver, etc) and can design an experiment where others can reliably repeat it, then it has to be taken into the framework of science and not dismissed out of hand no matter how crazy. Look at quantum physics for God's sake - some of that is weird hard-to-believe stuff. Action at a distance for example has all sorts of consequences to name one.
    4. I DO NOT think any of the last bullet point is likely to happen, I'm just making a point.
    5. Physics is not like mathematics where you start from a set of axioms and define from there. You make a framework that describes the world as best you can and you test, test, test. If you disprove some aspect of the framework with your then you need to alter your framework.

Ok, I've already said this in this thread, but it seems to need repeating. Unless the laws of nature are not fixed, and change freely at the whim of some prankster god, then the you cannot break the established laws of physics in the regimes where they have been rigorously tested.

It is not necessarily that they are not fixed; it is only necessary that we have an incomplete understanding of them. So if someone comes up with a repeatable experiment that proves a physical law can be broken you will ignore it?
    Steorn's machine occupies an extremely well tested region in theory-space. Basically we know all the physics that affects magnets at the energy and temperature scales that Steorn is talking about. There is no wiggle room.

All the worse for Steorn, conservation is one of the most fundamental rules in physics, as it is a direct consequence of the fact that the laws of physics are translationally invariant with respect to time, via Noether's theorem. Fundamental physical interactions have been verified countless times (and in the case of CERN and Fermilab, I literally do mean countless, since they generate too much data to store). Sean McCarthy's arguments about magnetic viscosity are deeply flawed and neglect many effects. He takes a macroscopic look at a quantum system and gets himself lost.

I agree with the above except for countless. That is factually incorrect and is a figure of speech. The set of tests is countable and finite. But I am being pedantic here.
    That seems unlikely since they've just canceled the public demo.

There tends to be only two reasons why people compare science to religion, and scientists to priests. The first is that they have taken some course in philosophy and want to show off how deep a thinker they are (the fact that they miss the obvious differences tends to make this counter-productive), and the second is to annoy scientists.

I have never taken a course in philosophy but when I retire wouldn't rule it out - sounds like fun. Physics used to be called natural philosophy after all. I happen to have a B.Sc. in physics and mathematics so don't qualify under reason 2 either unless I want to annoy myself. I don't say they are the same - they are hugely different. In my belief in the scientific method I am religiously zealous and will cast out ye non-believers. "Nullius in Verba" ("On the words of no one") the Royal Society motto every time.
    I have a pretty good idea why Steorn went the Economist route: No peer review journal would print their rubbish and you can't patent perpetual motion machines.

That is 99.99 % likely to be true - but if they REALLY HAVE something (I don't believe it for a second) do you think they would have a hope of even being entertained by a peer review journal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

professore wrote:
    It is not necessarily that they are not fixed; it is only necessary that we have an incomplete understanding of them. So if someone comes up with a repeatable experiment that proves a physical law can be broken you will ignore it?

I think you've completely missed my point. Once we have tested the physics as particular scales (energy,length,mass etc.) we expect things to be the same next time we test them. If they aren't, and there is no external influence, then science is broken. It just doesn't work. Science is based on repeatability, and once we have worked out the physics in one region of parameter-space, then they hold in that space. That's it. No arguments.

My point is that we already know the physics of the relevant length/mass/energy scales for the Steorn device. Conventional magnets at room temperature cannot give rise to some unknown physics because we have so thoroughly verified conservation of energy in within those parameters.

If their claim rested on new physics at the Planck scale, then I might have some time for them.
    professore wrote:
    I agree with the above except for countless. That is factually incorrect and is a figure of speech. The set of tests is countable and finite. But I am being pedantic here.

Ok, lets be pedantic. Not every number is countable. Not even every finite number. To actually count something you need some way of representing the number. The universe only has a finite (although rather large) computational and storage capacity. See http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/56585/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0 for details.
    professore wrote:
    That is 99.99 % likely to be true - but if they REALLY HAVE something (I don't believe it for a second) do you think they would have a hope of even being entertained by a peer review journal?

They don't, and that's the whole point. I know of people who have received crackpot papers to referee simply because the crackpot was sufficiently insistent with the journal editors. Any referee will, however, reject this out of hand without experimental verification. Sean McCarthy's thought experiments simply will not cut the mustard.

As someone far wiser than me once said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Any updates on this? Seems to be much ado about nothing.

That said, if their device turns out not to work they're going to look like idiots, so you'd have to wonder what they're up to.

They probably believe it works but have neglected some important detail. Can't really comment on their device since I don't really know much about it, but I'd agree with other posters that it's enormously unlikely that they have achieved what they claim.

EDIT: does anyone actually know what this machine is or how it's supposed to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I think you've completely missed my point. Once we have tested the physics as particular scales (energy,length,mass etc.) we expect things to be the same next time we test them. If they aren't, and there is no external influence, then science is broken. It just doesn't work. Science is based on repeatability, and once we have worked out the physics in one region of parameter-space, then they hold in that space. That's it. No arguments.

"I am not in the habit of repeating myself" to lower the tone and quote that character in Kilnascully, but my main point is that in the case above I largely agree with what you are saying except for the "Science is broken" bit. No it isn't - in the case above new theories are needed to account for the discrepancy. If you have proven that there is no external influences and that your experiment is not flawed in some way, then you MUST as a scientist, accept the evidence, no matter how unlikely, that the theory is wrong. The other alternative is of course that you are mad in some way. However the problem is most likely in your experiment, so would be 200% sure I could do it every time like clockwork :

If it blows up, it's chemistry. If it stinks, it's biology. If it doesn't work, it's physics. :D

If I were Steorn and I HAD discovered something, I would have hundreds of these things working reliably for months and have the s**t tested out of them before going public - the main reason why I think they have nothing. That and the laws of physics of course ;) Damn, I miss these discussions - don't work in physics unfortunately (no smart remarks on that one)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Uh huh.

The resurrection of this thread prompted me to wonder whatever happened to Steorn, so I went looking - apparently they're still on the go!

http://dispatchesfromthefuture.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2009/02/19/solar-system-cost-report/
    It found that average installed costs, in terms of real 2007 dollars per installed watt, declined from $10.50 per watt in 1998 to $7.60 per watt in 2007

These days Elon Musk is talking about $0.55/watt

For low powered devices the problem is not free energy. It's cheap energy storage. Already we have RF light switches that are powered by pressing on a piezo. So no wires or batteries or maintenance , pair the switch with the light and stick as many as you like all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

For low powered devices the problem is not free energy. It's cheap energy storage.
    Years ago my father thought he was onto a winner when he bought a wind turbine. A year later it was completely unused. The batteries that were used just couldn't charge themselves properly and there would be power spikes and power outages. It was a while ago now, he would have been a very early adopter at the time but there wasn't really a good way of storing the energy. It's probably improved a lot since then and while batteries have improved they've improved to the stage of being useable in a crunch, rather than a dependable alternative.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Your Ideas Intrigue Me, And I Wish To Subscribe To Your Newsletter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement