Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Film Awards 2014 - Results!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Great to see the Raid 2 win Best Foreign film (good to see a few people with awesome taste ;)) and I'm shocked to Interstellar win a few of the categories (I loved the film but it's such a split opinion film on here) so that's awesome.

American Hustle was so below par so good to see it win most disappointed and overrated film categories. It was a Martin Scorsese knock off without the skill and passion. O Russell is far better then this, still think The Fighter is his best film to date although I love Three Kings. I also didn't understand why Amy Adams was getting nominated for her role in this during award season.

No other real shocks to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Worst Performance
    Winner: Aidan Gillen - Calvary
    Runner Up: Seth McFarlane - A Million Ways to Die in the West

Aidan Gillen must be seriously bad in Calvary if he was worse than Seth McFarlane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Honestly Aidan Gillen was pretty weak in Calvary but he's just a mild and infrequent irritation compared to Seth Macfarlane who is not only awful but dominates the whole movie.

Very egotistical performance in a "GRR I'm wittier and smarter than anyone here why can't I get a girl?" way too. :pac:

e_e wrote: »
    Honestly Aidan Gillen was pretty weak in Calvary but he's just a mild and infrequent irritation compared to Seth Macfarlane who is not only awful but dominates the whole movie.

Very egotistical performance in a "GRR I'm wittier and smarter than anyone here why can't I get a girl?" way too. :pac:

I think its the fact Seth is the guy who should be playing the idiot friend of the hero or the bad guy's stupid sidekick. Basically a co starring role. He's not a leading man and it was clearly a ego stroke as you said for him. He had no chemistry either with Theron.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lego Movie was great fun but not even nearly as good as How to Train Your Dragon 2 which was better than most of the live action films last year imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Bit odd to see American Hustle as Most Overrated. I thought it was a slick caper movie with a brilliantly created period setting. It was a lot of fun.
    It certainly didn’t set out to be anything more than that.

Is it overrated because of the critical response it got? I remember that being lukewarm.

Is it the Oscar nominations?
    I think people expected it to be great because of the Oscar buzz. But the Oscars can’t seriously be taken as a sign of quality.

Sure overrated means a film that everyone loves, has the critics swooning and does fantastically well and you don’t like it?
    That’s definitely not American Hustle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Worst Film
    Winner: Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

And with that, all in the world is set right again. :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Lego Movie was great fun but not even nearly as good as How to Train Your Dragon 2 which was better than most of the live action films last year imo.
    I enjoyed both but if anything the results of the animation poll show that more people really need to see The Congress and The Wind Rises.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I enjoyed both but if anything the results of the animation poll show that more people really need to see The Congress and The Wind Rises.

I still haven't had the chance to see either, I thought The Congress had quite a lot of live action sequences in it though?

• Advertisement

I've the DVD ready to rewatch but from what I recall it's just the opening third and a little bit at the end that's live action.

I've seen both but I preferred Lego Movie and How To Train your Dragon 2. Just cause the First two are made by more respected directors shouldn't take away anything from the two films were picked, they are pieces of art themselves.

Don't get me wrong I liked all 4 movies a lot. Just felt the need to flag up both The Congress for its ambition and audaciousness and The Wind Rises for being such a moving and beautiful swansong from a master.

Don't get me wrong I liked all 4 movies a lot. Just felt the need to flag up both The Congress for its ambition and audaciousness and The Wind Rises for being such a moving and beautiful swansong from a master.

The Congress was good but its nowhere in the same ballpark as the directors pervious Waltz With Bashir. I admired its ambition but it didn't quite pull it off.

I agree with you on The Wind Rises, beautiful and moving film with a Werner Herzog voice over if you watched the dubbed version :D. I do think Hayao Miyazaki has done better though i.e Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

But How to Train your Dragon 2 was probably one of the best Animated experiences I had in the cinema. It didn't speak down to its audience and was a joyous ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

If 90% of boards film fans went to see 5 average films while the other 10% went to see the good stuff, those 5 average films would still dominate and win the awards.
    That's how an average film like Grand Budapest did so well.

Advertisement