Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Film Awards 2014 - Results!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Realistically this is all we can do. Especially with the 'best film' categories we have very much made an effort over the last few years to ensure it's not just Hollywood blockbusters that get a look in - and the lack of an overall 'best film' means they're all weighted equally.

Other categories we can't really influence without some contrived trickery / weighting, and we shouldn't really try anyway! It is always going to be a public vote at the end of the day, where the most visible titles are going to dominate, but hopefully if we list the 'top three' in each category there will be more diversity in the final results :)

Cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Would have stuck 'One Million Dubliners' into either the Irish, or documentary, categories

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I find this process confusing every year. There seems to be lots of meandering till we get to main bit.

Just a thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What's confusing exactly?

There are nomination threads, and then there's voting. That's it. Just an annual tradition of getting all the film forum posters working together for a month or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

What's confusing exactly?

There are nomination threads, and then there's voting. That's it. Just an annual tradition of getting all the film forum posters working together for a month or so.

Oh ok, I thought there was a step before that.

And then everything gets moved to a sub forum that has tumbleweed blowing through it. But I think there's usually a sticky on the main forum re-directing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Will ye make sure and let us know when all the threads re-open for voting, as there's about a half dozen films I have yet to get through before I vote!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quick reminder to nominate in the current batch of categories before they close in the very near future.

Here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=480

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Final batch of nomination threads (Acting and Walk of Shame Awards) are now up.

If you missed the previous nominations - watch this space. As already said, all threads will re-open for last chance submissions prior to voting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All nominations threads have re-opened. If you missed the previous nomination batches now is your chance to submit your choices. Nominations will close tomorrow evening, so hurry.

Final few hours to nominate. You forfeit your right to complain if you don't!

• Advertisement

A reminder also that Whiplash, Birdman and Foxcatcher are 2015 films and aren’t eligible for this year’s awards. If you want to change any of your choices, just post again indicating the changes.

And if you haven’t nominated yet - do it now!

Submissions to some categories are looking very sparse, especially those on the second page. Best Irish, Best Documentary, etc.

The nomination phase has ended and voting has now begun. Follow the link below to place your votes. You have until the 27th of January (next Tuesday).

http://spo.io/1Ja1xqR

A big thank you once again to Mr E for putting the poll together. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Surprised to see The Immigrant and Snowpiercer featuring prominently seeing as neither got an Irish release last year. When/if they get an Irish release in 2015 will they be eligible next year too?

We made an exception for Snowpiercer since it’s an eagerly awaited film which it was clear a lot of people gave up waiting for. Personally I think it featured so strongly this year that it shouldn’t be eligible next year, but we’ll wait and see.

As for The Immigrant, we really only let it slip into that one category, so if people want to vote for it in the main categories next year they can. Assuming it gets a release over here and doesn’t pass unnoticed like in the US.

Maybe we should have an award next year for Best Unreleased Film? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And voted!

If it hasn't been said elsewhere by the way, thanks to the Film mods for all their work over the last year and for putting together these annual awards. I'm sure it's not always fun corralling a pack of opinionated film-nerds, but you guys do good work :D

A Saturday morning reminder to get those votes in if you haven't already!

http://spo.io/1Ja1xqR

Poll closing tomorrow evening.

Unsticking the thread in case anybody happened to miss it as a sticky!

And here we are, the final results! Once again myself and Sad Professor would like to thank Mr E for kindly supplying the survey, it makes this process a whole lot easier and fancy-looking every year :)

Results below. Feel free to disagree with them in a polite but firm manner:

Supporting Actor
    Winner: Jonah Hill - Wolf of Wall Street
    Runner Up: Michael Fassbender- 12 Year a Slave

Best Supporting Actress
    Winner: Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years a Slave
    Runner Up: Mia Wasikowska - Maps to the Stars / Only Lovers Left Alive / The Double

Best Actor
    Winner (Tie): Jake Gyllenhaal - Nightcrawler
    Winner (Tie): Leonardo DiCaprio - The Wolf of Wall Street
    Runner Up: Ralph Fiennes - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Actress
    Winner: Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
    Runner Up: Marion Cotillard - Two Days, One Night

Best Newcomer (Acting)
    Winner: Agata Trzebuchowska - Ida
    Runner Up: Ellar Coltrane - Boyhood

Most Overrated Film
    Winner: American Hustle
    Runner Up: The Wolf of Wall Street

Worst Film
    Winner: Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie
    Runner Up: Transformers: Age of Extinction

Most Disappointing Film
    Winner (Tie): American Hustle
    Winner (Tie): Godzilla
    Runner Up: The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

Worst Performance
    Winner: Aidan Gillen - Calvary
    Runner Up: Seth McFarlane - A Million Ways to Die in the West

Best Hollywood Blockbuster
    Winner: Interstellar
    Runner Up: Guardians of the Galaxy

Best American Indie
    Winner (Tie): The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Winner (Tie): Her
    Runner Up: Boyhood

Best Non-American English Language
    Winner: Under the Skin
    Runner Up (Tie): The Babadook
    Runner Up (Tie): Pride
    Runner Up (Tie): Snowpiercer

Best Foreign Language
    Winner: The Raid 2
    Runner Up: Ida

Best Irish
    Winner: Frank
    Runner Up: Calvary

Best Animation
    Winner: The Lego Movie
    Runner Up: How to Train Your Dragon 2

Best Documentary
    Winner: At Berkeley
    Runner Up: Jodorowsky's Dune

Best Dumb Fun
    Winner: Edge of Tomorrow
    Runner Up: Guardians of the Galaxy

Best Director
    Winner: Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Runner Up (Tie): Christopher Nolan - Interstellar
    Runner Up (Tie): Richard Linklater - Boyhood

Best Newcomer (Director)
    Winner: Dan Gilroy - Nightcrawler
    Runner Up: Jennifer Kent - The Babadook

Best Character
    Winner: Gustav - The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Runner Up: Lou Bloom - Nightcrawler

Best Soundtrack
    Winner: Guardians of the Galaxy
    Runner Up: Interstellar

Best Special Effects
    Winner: Interstellar
    Runner Up: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Best Scene
    Winner: Interstellar - Docking Sequence
    Runner Up: Wolf of Wall Street - Quaaludes

Film That Deserved Better
    Winner: Snowpiercer
    Runner Up: Cold in July

Best Screenplay
    Winner: Gone Girl
    Runner Up: Her

Best Cinematography
    Winner: The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Runner Up: Interstellar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Yay for At Berkeley. Looks like more than 2 people saw it here after all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

jjM6T55.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Great to see the Raid 2 win Best Foreign film (good to see a few people with awesome taste ;)) and I'm shocked to Interstellar win a few of the categories (I loved the film but it's such a split opinion film on here) so that's awesome.

American Hustle was so below par so good to see it win most disappointed and overrated film categories. It was a Martin Scorsese knock off without the skill and passion. O Russell is far better then this, still think The Fighter is his best film to date although I love Three Kings. I also didn't understand why Amy Adams was getting nominated for her role in this during award season.

No other real shocks to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Worst Performance
    Winner: Aidan Gillen - Calvary
    Runner Up: Seth McFarlane - A Million Ways to Die in the West

Aidan Gillen must be seriously bad in Calvary if he was worse than Seth McFarlane.

Honestly Aidan Gillen was pretty weak in Calvary but he's just a mild and infrequent irritation compared to Seth Macfarlane who is not only awful but dominates the whole movie.

Very egotistical performance in a "GRR I'm wittier and smarter than anyone here why can't I get a girl?" way too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

e_e wrote: »
    Honestly Aidan Gillen was pretty weak in Calvary but he's just a mild and infrequent irritation compared to Seth Macfarlane who is not only awful but dominates the whole movie.

Very egotistical performance in a "GRR I'm wittier and smarter than anyone here why can't I get a girl?" way too. :pac:

I think its the fact Seth is the guy who should be playing the idiot friend of the hero or the bad guy's stupid sidekick. Basically a co starring role. He's not a leading man and it was clearly a ego stroke as you said for him. He had no chemistry either with Theron.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lego Movie was great fun but not even nearly as good as How to Train Your Dragon 2 which was better than most of the live action films last year imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Bit odd to see American Hustle as Most Overrated. I thought it was a slick caper movie with a brilliantly created period setting. It was a lot of fun.
    It certainly didn’t set out to be anything more than that.

Is it overrated because of the critical response it got? I remember that being lukewarm.

Is it the Oscar nominations?
    I think people expected it to be great because of the Oscar buzz. But the Oscars can’t seriously be taken as a sign of quality.

Sure overrated means a film that everyone loves, has the critics swooning and does fantastically well and you don’t like it?
    That’s definitely not American Hustle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Worst Film
    Winner: Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

And with that, all in the world is set right again. :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Lego Movie was great fun but not even nearly as good as How to Train Your Dragon 2 which was better than most of the live action films last year imo.
    I enjoyed both but if anything the results of the animation poll show that more people really need to see The Congress and The Wind Rises.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

e_e wrote: »
    I enjoyed both but if anything the results of the animation poll show that more people really need to see The Congress and The Wind Rises.

I still haven't had the chance to see either, I thought The Congress had quite a lot of live action sequences in it though?

• Advertisement

I've the DVD ready to rewatch but from what I recall it's just the opening third and a little bit at the end that's live action.

Advertisement