Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cruiser bike for beginner

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

This alone is a reason not to buy.....

Yamaha virago 125 v twin excellent condition just got new coat of paint sprayed grey new carb new mirrors new indicaters exhaust sounds great learner legal custom seat new battery selling due to getting a bigger bike tyres and brakes all excellent chain and sprocket excellent lovely bake to ride and nice sitting position

Spelling, non use of commas,full stops ........:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Just buy what you want you get used to the weather, you'll still notice it but won't care or layer up.

I'm apparently stupid for learning on a sports bike and a 600cc one no less.

We all have opinions some on these types of threads, opinions of some are valid, some are eh.... misguided.

For the love of christ don't buy that monstrosity linked above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Just buy what you want you get used to the weather, you'll still notice it but won't care or layer up.

We all have opinions some on these types of threads, opinions of some are valid, some are eh.... misguided.

You didn't learn on a sports bike though.... Unless your IBT instructor wanted his work cut out for him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

the monstrosity was a joke tbf. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone seriously.
    Big heavy bike like that won't be comfortable at all on the motorway!
    maybe for the chipper run, but you'd be faster walking there and back.

what sports bike did you learn on?
    I learnt on a SV650 which I'd consider a sporty bike, but I prefer the dual sport style bikes.
    Hopefully this year I'll get out across europe on the damn thing

out of curiosity. What is your budget for all of this?
    getting started on bikes is unfortunately not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I did an 80km round commute on a 400 virago. Not great, but easily doable. Just for the love of god don't get a 125.

I think something with a bit of a screen would be better, even small to deflect the wind,but you can get that for a cruiser style bike.

The handy thing about cruiser on commutes like that is the engine is easy to warm you hands on

listermint wrote: »
    You didn't learn on a sports bike though.... Unless your IBT instructor wanted his work cut out for him ;)

Haha the ibt gets ya going the hard learning is on your own time ;)

goblin59 wrote: »
    the monstrosity was a joke tbf. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone seriously.
    Big heavy bike like that won't be comfortable at all on the motorway!
    maybe for the chipper run, but you'd be faster walking there and back.

what sports bike did you learn on?
    I learnt on a SV650 which I'd consider a sporty bike, but I prefer the dual sport style bikes.
    Hopefully this year I'll get out across europe on the damn thing

Ah yea I know it was a joke but we all know ow there's those that wouldn't cop that haha ;).
    I've ridden a 125cc up a steep hill before holy christ 2nd gear screaming the poor thing, that was at 80odd kg. Thank god I was never restricted to one haha.
    A wet windy m50 on that thing would scare me to death.

Cbr 600 f4, baring she gets wrote off I'll keep her for life something about that bike I can't bring myself to part with it, even though I hate carbs but hey haha.

Ah the dual sports are class don't think I'd personally own one but I get why they are loved.
    If its not particular generation sports bikes, certain harleys, or specifically styled bobbers / bikes I can Bob I really haven't much interest in owning one.

Not a thing wrong with sv's except the bloody price of them now :O

Ah yea I know it was a joke but we all know ow there's those that wouldn't cop that haha ;).
    I've ridden a 125cc up a steep hill before holy christ 2nd gear screaming the poor thing, that was at 80odd kg. Thank god I was never restricted to one haha.
    A wet windy m50 on that thing would scare me to death.

Cbr 600 f4, baring she gets wrote off I'll keep her for life something about that bike I can't bring myself to part with it, even though I hate carbs but hey haha.

Ah the dual sports are class don't think I'd personally own one but I get why they are loved.
    If its not particular generation sports bikes, certain harleys, or specifically styled bobbers / bikes I can Bob I really haven't much interest in owning one.

Not a thing wrong with sv's except the bloody price of them now :O

I originally looked for a SV650 as my first bike, but 4 or 5k for one here and even in the UK, what a joke!

the BMW was much cheaper to get.
    I'd definitely recommend trying a dual sport sometime, a thumper on the motorway sucks, but BMW F-twin series are amazing! I've done Dublin to Donegal in one trip easily without wind or a sore arse being an issue.
    Plus most dual sports have good luggage set ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

And there's your answer right there.

I'd love one, but being a sort of Mr Bean with a pot belly, I don't think I'd carry it off.

Even now, I dream of selling the Deauville and buying a second hand cheap cruiser.....
    Then off out the back roads with me, eventually ending up in Man o' War. Pulling up outside the local, I'm immediately eyeballed by the real bikers who drag me off it and into the car park, where I'm beaten seven shades, my sleeveless denim jacket with my drawn on Hells Devils emblem is ripped from my scrawny body, with my dunnes t-shirt. Then using a power washer they strip all my henna fake tatt's off, then throw me on the back of a flat-bed and dump me out at the five roads, where some passing American tourists stop, awe stricken, and ask me to play duelling banjos.

Or I could just keep the Deau :pac::pac::pac:

Looking at the OPs budget of €1-2k the best choice would be the Deauville 650. It has enough poke for the task at hand and the weather protection is also great. If he likes the cruiser engine sound then he can just stick on an aftermarket exhaust ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

They dont call them Dullville's for nothing....CX500 used to be called the Plastic maggot...step aside me thinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

They dont call them Dullville's for nothing....CX500 used to be called the Plastic maggot...step aside me thinks...
    Im happy enough with mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Enough! Lol

Am I not right in saying the deauville is neither A or A2 (unless restricted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

zubair wrote: »
    Am I not right in saying the deauville is neither A or A2 (unless restricted).

The RSA site classes then as A2 if restricted. Doesn’t say what they are if not restricted.

My instructor said it’s NOT an A bike, and my tester seemed surprised that they’re not.

The RSA site classes then as A2 if restricted. Doesn’t say what they are if not restricted.

My instructor said it’s NOT an A bike, and my tester seemed surprised that they’re not.

Sorry, I know they're not an A for sure.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I know they're not an A for sure.

Whatever they are mine will do me for now. I have a 400km spin next Wednesday, so I might have changed my mind by next Thursday!!

Whatever they are mine will do me for now. I have a 400km spin next Wednesday, so I might have changed my mind by next Thursday!!

Dammit, my upsell attempt didn't work. I was just wondering lol. Doubt it, will be no hassle.

Dammit, my upsell attempt didn't work. I was just wondering lol. Doubt it, will be no hassle.

Hahaha!!

I won’t be in the market for a year or two. Then again, if the magic numbers come up on one of the few times I actually DO the lotto it’ll be sooner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

MSVforever wrote: »
    .........f he likes the cruiser engine sound then he can just stick on an aftermarket exhaust ;)

hehehe...apologies Zubair,

fitted a Black Widow Stainless system to mine. It was so loud (to my tender ears) that I removed and dismantled it, and sent photos to the supplier to see if the baffle was missing. Not knowing what I was talking about, I assumed a baffle was a screw-in piece in the muffler - which I couldn't see. Turns out it was fine and my ignorance was exposed. Edit : yes I found out what a baffle was and sure enough there was one there

When I drive down the road, heads turn and people look behind me for the cruiser. ok, I made that bit up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Btw the lads in Bray Honda Centre have Deauville 650 for sale for €1500.
    I would highly recommend those guys.

• Advertisement

hehehe...apologies Zubair,

fitted a Black Widow Stainless system to mine. It was so loud (to my tender ears) that I removed and dismantled it, and sent photos to the supplier to see if the baffle was missing. Not knowing what I was talking about, I assumed a baffle was a screw-in piece in the muffler - which I couldn't see. Turns out it was fine and my ignorance was exposed.

When I drive down the road, heads turn and people look behind me for the cruiser. ok, I made that bit up.

Haha, I had the black widow on my cbf1000 so I know exactly what you mean. I've also heard them on the deauville. Really loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,541 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What kind of dope puts "learner legal" on a bike ad in this day and age, anything is learner legal if you have the right class of learner permit.

Can't believe they're asking €1850 for that yoke, they should be embarrassed to ask €500 for it. But really it belongs in a skip.

Oh, and cruisers suck! :p

Scrap the cap!

What kind of dope puts "learner legal" on a bike ad in this day and age, anything is learner legal if you have the right class of learner permit.

Can't believe they're asking €1850 for that yoke, they should be embarrassed to ask €500 for it. But really it belongs in a skip.

Oh, and cruisers suck! :p

Oh mate you mustn't spend half your day looking at bike ads 🀣🀣
    Every other dope sticks it on, it honestly drives me insane .
    Excuse you sir vrods, road kings, evos, magnas, I rest my case.
    That does belong in a bin though.

Advertisement