Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruiser bike for beginner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

FrankC21 wrote: »
    I'm a complete beginner, 32 years old, I am planning on doing the theory test when lockdown is lifted, the whole idea is that I just want to ride the bike on a quiet sunny sunday morning commute to work 3-4 times per month even fewer cause of the weather, I am not going to use it as regular transport, commute is from drogheda to Dublin its about 55km each way. Really just to enjoy and have fun not too keen on going bloody fast like, just 100km/hr, if a cruiser doesn't suit that then what sort of bike I will need, I am open to any suggestion.

There's nothing wrong with a cruiser - for that commute or any other tbh. It's only 55km - 35 miles in old money. Anyone who thinks a mid-size or full size bike can't do that is off their trolley, weather or not.

One thing I would agree with is NOT getting a 125. At your age, you don't need to.

A Dragstar 650 would be ideal imho. Simple, reliable, shaft drive. But there are others out there too. Honda Shadow, Kawasaki VN.

Cruisers are learner and new-rider friendly, and not imposing, and cheap(er) to insure. You can always sell it if you get bored, down the road.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

galwaytt wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with a cruiser - for that commute or any other tbh. It's only 55km - 35 miles in old money. Anyone who thinks a mid-size or full size bike can't do that is off their trolley, weather or not.

One thing I would agree with is NOT getting a 125. At your age, you don't need to.

A Dragstar 650 would be ideal imho. Simple, reliable, shaft drive. But there are others out there too. Honda Shadow, Kawasaki VN.

Cruisers are learner and new-rider friendly, and not imposing, and cheap(er) to insure. You can always sell it if you get bored, down the road.

I don't think anyone is saying it can't be done. As far as I can tell the responses are more about buying the bike for the job, which is a 55km x2 motorway trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

But I won't be using it on a rush hour weekdays just on quiet sunday morning during summertime, I do work on sundays and typically will start commute around 6ish AM and goes home 8pm so hardly any cars on the road, then and I just l9ve the noise of the cruiser.

But I won't be using it on a rush hour weekdays just on quiet sunday morning during summertime, I do work on sundays and typically will start commute around 6ish AM and goes home 8pm so hardly any cars on the road, then and I just l9ve the noise of the cruiser.

as good a set of reasons to buy a bike as any :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

zubair wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is saying it can't be done. As far as I can tell the responses are more about buying the bike for the job, which is a 55km x2 motorway trip.

I hear ya.

Look, in 2007, after many many years on Tourers etc, I realised there were no Round The World trips in my (anywhere near) future, so I thought the one thing I'd never had, was a cruiser.

So I bought a Harley.

I had visions of sunny Sunday jaunts, possibly into the Prom in Salthill and buying a 99 and just generally tootling around.

Turns out it's the best bike I ever bought. I've done 12 hr days on it. I've done spins, 'work', touring, commuting and a possibly some 'hooning' on it, and I have 55k on it now.

But I'll agree on one thing: without a screen it'd be blood hard work.

I still went and bought an Africa Twin in 2018, mind, so different strokes & all that....

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'll freeze your bollix off with no wind protection on a cruiser doing that distance at 6am. I'm not here to diss them but it's not a commuter bike for that hour of the morning or that distance. I'd say knock yourself out of you were doing 20km on national roads into the city or whatever but I'm just being honest.

If you want one then be prepared for the wind protection to be crap and chilly at that time of day. I'd honestly tell you to get a heated jacket otherwise you may start not taking the bike at all and just not enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

I started with a honda cb 500 2 years ago. Couldn't recommend them enough.
    I was a complete beginner also.
    You will need some bit of power behind you for over taking but not to much that you'll get yourself into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've done the Drogheda to Dublin 55km each way trek, and I have to say, it got to be a total drag on my Honda Super Four.

Yes you can do it on a cruiser OP, but if you're taking the M1, be prepared for a long, monotonous journey where you do kinda need power.
    That said, if you're dead set on a cruiser, go for it. You'll either enjoy yourself and take to biking, or find yourself getting bored, chilly and frustrated three trips in, but at least you'll have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

I've done the Drogheda to Dublin 55km each way trek, and I have to say, it got to be a total drag on my Honda Super Four.

Yes you can do it on a cruiser OP, but if you're taking the M1, be prepared for a long, monotonous journey where you do kinda need power.
    That said, if you're dead set on a cruiser, go for it. You'll either enjoy yourself and take to biking, or find yourself getting bored, chilly and frustrated three trips in, but at least you'll have tried.

What exactly is the drawbacks of a cruiser with decent power on a journey like this? Is it the cold and wind or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

eoin.d wrote: »
    What exactly is the drawbacks of a cruiser with decent power on a journey like this? Is it the cold and wind or what?

usually the lack of decent wind protection, ape hangers can be a pain on the shoulders too.
    Then unless you are paying good money, their suspension isn't always the best and you will notice this on the road.

A heavy bike sucks too when stopping and starting with traffic or even filtering.
    Theres 50kg between my two bikes and its seriously noticeable.

• Advertisement

It's not just cruisers but naked bikes in general. No wind protection is no 1 on the list here. Anything over 100kmph you'll really feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

So would a vulcan 650 s be a bad choice for 60 mile round trip 5 days a week on mixture backroads and motorway

So would a vulcan 650 s be a bad choice for 60 mile round trip 5 days a week on mixture backroads and motorway

pretty much ya. Cruisers are great bikes for occasional use nice sunny days cruising around or short commutes into the city on local or national roads at sub 100km speeds.

Outside that the wind just blows through your soul it will get old real fast.

And to add, it is MISERABLE being blasted in the face and torso with cold strong wind. The difference between my Super Four and Super Blackbird is obviously huge, but I can say specifically that power aside (and that definitely matters), the fairings and screen of the Bird give protection from the weather, where my Four offered nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

And there's your answer right there.

I'd love one, but being a sort of Mr Bean with a pot belly, I don't think I'd carry it off.

Even now, I dream of selling the Deauville and buying a second hand cheap cruiser.....
    Then off out the back roads with me, eventually ending up in Man o' War. Pulling up outside the local, I'm immediately eyeballed by the real bikers who drag me off it and into the car park, where I'm beaten seven shades, my sleeveless denim jacket with my drawn on Hells Devils emblem is ripped from my scrawny body, with my dunnes t-shirt. Then using a power washer they strip all my henna fake tatt's off, then throw me on the back of a flat-bed and dump me out at the five roads, where some passing American tourists stop, awe stricken, and ask me to play duelling banjos.

Or I could just keep the Deau :pac::pac::pac:

... then throw me on the back of a flat-bed and dump me out at the five roads, where some passing American tourists stop, awe stricken, and ask me to play duelling banjos.

"You sure have a purdy mouth, boy."

*spits*

I'd love one, but being a sort of Mr Bean with a pot belly, I don't think I'd carry it off.

Even now, I dream of selling the Deauville and buying a second hand cheap cruiser.....
    Then off out the back roads with me, eventually ending up in Man o' War. Pulling up outside the local, I'm immediately eyeballed by the real bikers who drag me off it and into the car park, where I'm beaten seven shades, my sleeveless denim jacket with my drawn on Hells Devils emblem is ripped from my scrawny body, with my dunnes t-shirt. Then using a power washer they strip all my henna fake tatt's off, then throw me on the back of a flat-bed and dump me out at the five roads, where some passing American tourists stop, awe stricken, and ask me to play duelling banjos.

I don't know, I still think I'd prefer the cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

zubair wrote: »
    I don't know, I still think I'd prefer the cruiser.

:pac::pac::pac:

https://www.adverts.ie/car/other-motorbikes/other-motorbikes/yamaha-virago-125/23486821

Could buy that, ride it back to Dublin and if you haven't fecked it into a ditch and taken the bus back then you have a bike!

goblin59 wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/car/other-motorbikes/other-motorbikes/yamaha-virago-125/23486821

Could buy that, ride it back to Dublin and if you haven't fecked it into a ditch and taken the bus back then you have a bike!

Surely this belongs in the dreamer thread. 1850 :—0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

This alone is a reason not to buy.....

Yamaha virago 125 v twin excellent condition just got new coat of paint sprayed grey new carb new mirrors new indicaters exhaust sounds great learner legal custom seat new battery selling due to getting a bigger bike tyres and brakes all excellent chain and sprocket excellent lovely bake to ride and nice sitting position

Spelling, non use of commas,full stops ........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Just buy what you want you get used to the weather, you'll still notice it but won't care or layer up.

I'm apparently stupid for learning on a sports bike and a 600cc one no less.

We all have opinions some on these types of threads, opinions of some are valid, some are eh.... misguided.

For the love of christ don't buy that monstrosity linked above.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Just buy what you want you get used to the weather, you'll still notice it but won't care or layer up.

We all have opinions some on these types of threads, opinions of some are valid, some are eh.... misguided.

You didn't learn on a sports bike though.... Unless your IBT instructor wanted his work cut out for him ;)

the monstrosity was a joke tbf. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone seriously.
    Big heavy bike like that won't be comfortable at all on the motorway!
    maybe for the chipper run, but you'd be faster walking there and back.

what sports bike did you learn on?
    I learnt on a SV650 which I'd consider a sporty bike, but I prefer the dual sport style bikes.
    Hopefully this year I'll get out across europe on the damn thing

out of curiosity. What is your budget for all of this?
    getting started on bikes is unfortunately not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I did an 80km round commute on a 400 virago. Not great, but easily doable. Just for the love of god don't get a 125.

I think something with a bit of a screen would be better, even small to deflect the wind,but you can get that for a cruiser style bike.

The handy thing about cruiser on commutes like that is the engine is easy to warm you hands on

listermint wrote: »
    You didn't learn on a sports bike though.... Unless your IBT instructor wanted his work cut out for him ;)

Haha the ibt gets ya going the hard learning is on your own time ;)

goblin59 wrote: »
    the monstrosity was a joke tbf. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone seriously.
    Big heavy bike like that won't be comfortable at all on the motorway!
    maybe for the chipper run, but you'd be faster walking there and back.

what sports bike did you learn on?
    I learnt on a SV650 which I'd consider a sporty bike, but I prefer the dual sport style bikes.
    Hopefully this year I'll get out across europe on the damn thing

Ah yea I know it was a joke but we all know ow there's those that wouldn't cop that haha ;).
    I've ridden a 125cc up a steep hill before holy christ 2nd gear screaming the poor thing, that was at 80odd kg. Thank god I was never restricted to one haha.
    A wet windy m50 on that thing would scare me to death.

Cbr 600 f4, baring she gets wrote off I'll keep her for life something about that bike I can't bring myself to part with it, even though I hate carbs but hey haha.

Ah the dual sports are class don't think I'd personally own one but I get why they are loved.
    If its not particular generation sports bikes, certain harleys, or specifically styled bobbers / bikes I can Bob I really haven't much interest in owning one.

Not a thing wrong with sv's except the bloody price of them now :O

Ah yea I know it was a joke but we all know ow there's those that wouldn't cop that haha ;).
    I've ridden a 125cc up a steep hill before holy christ 2nd gear screaming the poor thing, that was at 80odd kg. Thank god I was never restricted to one haha.
    A wet windy m50 on that thing would scare me to death.

Cbr 600 f4, baring she gets wrote off I'll keep her for life something about that bike I can't bring myself to part with it, even though I hate carbs but hey haha.

Ah the dual sports are class don't think I'd personally own one but I get why they are loved.
    If its not particular generation sports bikes, certain harleys, or specifically styled bobbers / bikes I can Bob I really haven't much interest in owning one.

Not a thing wrong with sv's except the bloody price of them now :O

I originally looked for a SV650 as my first bike, but 4 or 5k for one here and even in the UK, what a joke!

the BMW was much cheaper to get.
    I'd definitely recommend trying a dual sport sometime, a thumper on the motorway sucks, but BMW F-twin series are amazing! I've done Dublin to Donegal in one trip easily without wind or a sore arse being an issue.
    Plus most dual sports have good luggage set ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Looking at the OPs budget of €1-2k the best choice would be the Deauville 650. It has enough poke for the task at hand and the weather protection is also great. If he likes the cruiser engine sound then he can just stick on an aftermarket exhaust ;)

Advertisement