Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB Networks - Apprenticeship program

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dunneclan01

I still haven't received an email yet, is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dildert123

I still haven't received an email yet, is this normal?

What was the last email you got?

Dildert123 wrote: »
    What was the last email you got?

The one where they mentioned that they would contact me again in June to provide an update on the status of my application

Yeah im the same atm.....no news is good news now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Biffinator

Hey torbie sorry only seeing it now but no I didn't hear anything about the 6 weeks , I was waiting for them to tell me that on the first day but that was always the fear, at least it's a small bit of heads-up but yeah that's alot to take on . As for those waiting ,I've been reading back over 12 years of ESB threads and it was always super slow(pages and pages of people asking have you heard yet etc) even pre covid so if you've not heard keep the faith it looks like good news hold on just a while longer

Just got another email to let me know that the shortlisting is still ongoing.

Anyone else hear of interview yet?

Day one down. As I wanted to hear what it was like in there I'd like to share a few points but have to keep it limited as it's private data etc and I want to do nothing to risk this place ( you will be briefed but it's basically non disclosure).Points to give to potential new recruits , if you don't have your full license do your utmost best to get it ASAP , block book , book multiple lessons with diff instructors do what you have to do ,it will come back to you greatly (covid has brought some very nice benefits but only for a while ;) ) , to those wondering difference between ESB apprenticeships and regular ones , ESB technicians absolutely can and do become regular technicians. Our trainer explained to us that he has friends who hook up a premise and then after half 4 when they're done in ESB they go on the other side of the meter and wire it up so your twice as in demand . The training,benefits and everything else about this course are like nothing I have ever seen and I've had a pretty exceptional career from working with the rubber bandits to Metallica and touring Europe. well deserving of one of the top apprenticeships in Europe . If you can pass the aptitude you are well able for this they tested us a little on the deeper end of the 1st two years of the line work side of things and it's just understanding the difference between single and three phase ,LV/MV/HV etc . It will obviously go more in depth with time but if you have fear of not being able to do it don't take it in stride that's what the probation is for . Hang on is all I'll say the process is slow ( it was alot slower for us but completely worth the wait) the longer you wait the more chance you have that someone will get sick of it and drop out, their loss. About 3 of us including me got told no due to covid cutbacks but got in because someone else had moved on . It's slow and nail biting for sure . 5 key points are safety number one obviously , attitude , time keeping , social skills and one more I forget already I'll check notes and edit in a bit xD the amount being kept on is a higher percent than previous years too obviously with covid less numbers mean more chance but now is a fantastic time to get into ESB with the amount of work that is planned for the next couple of years. Best of luck all , you haven't been told no yet which means your probably in the top 100 of 1000s of applicants , just keep the faith what's for you won't pass you :)

Biffinator wrote: »
    Day one down. As I wanted to hear what it was like in there I'd like to share a few points but have to keep it limited as it's private data etc and I want to do nothing to risk this place ( you will be briefed but it's basically non disclosure).Points to give to potential new recruits , if you don't have your full license do your utmost best to get it ASAP , block book , book multiple lessons with diff instructors do what you have to do ,it will come back to you greatly (covid has brought some very nice benefits but only for a while ;) ) , to those wondering difference between ESB apprenticeships and regular ones , ESB technicians absolutely can and do become regular technicians. Our trainer explained to us that he has friends who hook up a premise and then after half 4 when they're done in ESB they go on the other side of the meter and wire it up so your twice as in demand . The training,benefits and everything else about this course are like nothing I have ever seen and I've had a pretty exceptional career from working with the rubber bandits to Metallica and touring Europe. well deserving of one of the top apprenticeships in Europe . If you can pass the aptitude you are well able for this they tested us a little on the deeper end of the 1st two years of the line work side of things and it's just understanding the difference between single and three phase ,LV/MV/HV etc . It will obviously go more in depth with time but if you have fear of not being able to do it don't take it in stride that's what the probation is for . Hang on is all I'll say the process is slow ( it was alot slower for us but completely worth the wait) the longer you wait the more chance you have that someone will get sick of it and drop out, their loss. About 3 of us including me got told no due to covid cutbacks but got in because someone else had moved on . It's slow and nail biting for sure . 5 key points are safety number one obviously , attitude , time keeping , social skills and one more I forget already I'll check notes and edit in a bit xD the amount being kept on is a higher percent than previous years too obviously with covid less numbers mean more chance but now is a fantastic time to get into ESB with the amount of work that is planned for the next couple of years. Best of luck all , you haven't been told no yet which means your probably in the top 100 of 1000s of applicants , just keep the faith what's for you won't pass you :)

That's great to hear best of luck with it, it's good to hear that you were able to secure a position at last with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Larryduff2018

Great to hear. Best of luck with your new role . Quick question how long is probation and do they only register you with solas after probation completed.

• Advertisement

Great to hear. Best of luck with your new role . Quick question how long is probation and do they only register you with solas after probation completed.

6 months probation , forms for solas are sent away already but things are slow with them too

Biffinator wrote: »
    6 months probation , forms for solas are sent away already but things are slow with them too

Hey can i ask how many hours are involved during the week?

Thanks. My buddy got a call this afternoon he has interview in 2 weeks time so at least some progress on recruitment side been made

Thanks. My buddy got a call this afternoon he has interview in 2 weeks time so at least some progress on recruitment side been made

Where is your buddy based?

Is it safe to assume that if you don't get a call within the next few days, you aren't getting through to the interview stage?

In the Midlands.

• Advertisement

I heard a lot of the cork lads have been selected for interviews now.......like i got an email Tuesday saying that the shortlisting was still ongoing for the roll.
    Hopefully I'll hear something next week

Where is your buddy based?

Based in the midlands

I heard a lot of the cork lads have been selected for interviews now.......like i got an email Tuesday saying that the shortlisting was still ongoing for the roll.
    Hopefully I'll hear something next week

Hang in there its a slow process you could hear very soon. Best of luck

Anyone else get any info about an interview?

Anyone else get any info about an interview?

Nothing on my end

Id like to think seeing as they're starting to call now and we haven't been rejected it could be a good sign

• Advertisement

Nothing on my end

Id like to think seeing as they're starting to call now and we haven't been rejected it could be a good sign

Well the timing on that, I just got a call about an interview there.

Well the timing on that, I just got a call about an interview there.

Ah fair play best of luck!!!!!
    Did you get a email last week saying the shortlisting is continuing?

Ah fair play best of luck!!!!!
    Did you get a email last week saying the shortlisting is continuing?

Yes I did

Yes I did

Where ya based?

Mighty stuff best of luck .

Where ya based?

Mayo, sorry about the late reply

• Registered Users Posts: 17 beamee

Have been called for interview in Athlone next week. Would be grateful for any advice. TIA

beamee wrote: »
    Have been called for interview in Athlone next week. Would be grateful for any advice. TIA

Yes athlone interviews next week think most got called last week about them at least abit of notice to get organised.

I was called up to the clayton hotel in Dublin for the 29th

I was called up to the clayton hotel in Dublin for the 29th

Best of luck

• Advertisement

Best of luck

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Pittabang

My son recently started an electrician apprenticeship with a firm in Dublin (6 weeks ago) and had been now called for ESB networks interview in about 2 weeks time.
    If he was successful in interview and was offered a position would he be better off staying out with the firm he is with or would it be worth his while accepting an offer from ESB?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭torbie

Pittabang wrote: »
    My son recently started an electrician apprenticeship with a firm in Dublin (6 weeks ago) and had been now called for ESB networks interview in about 2 weeks time.
    If he was successful in interview and was offered a position would he be better off staying out with the firm he is with or would it be worth his while accepting an offer from ESB?
    Thanks in advance.

I think he should goto interview. The people starting now were interview last September/october...everything has a knock on effect.
    Have a look at the ESB apprenticeship website and videos. Itll give you a good idea of what happens.
    Good luck!

Pittabang wrote: »
    Thanks in advance.
    Yes definitely do the intwrview theres plenty out there that dont even get to interview stage. It will be a slow process you could be waiting 6 weeks after interview to hear back . This years apprentices due to start in september provided covid doesnt cause havoc again.
    Have a good go at the interview if he gets it he needs to make a decision if not at least he has started an apprenticeship.
    If he has to choose he's have to weigh up pros n cons of both. Not an easy choice but wait till interview results come back.

Would anybody have any tips for the interview ?

Yes definitely do the intwrview theres plenty out there that dont even get to interview stage. It will be a slow process you could be waiting 6 weeks after interview to hear back . This years apprentices due to start in september provided covid doesnt cause havoc again.
    Have a good go at the interview if he gets it he needs to make a decision if not at least he has started an apprenticeship.
    If he has to choose he's have to weigh up pros n cons of both. Not an easy choice but wait till interview results come back.

The company he is with see if they have many projects on the go. If they do and there busy might be a good chance of been kept on. Not 100% on this but id reckon everyone after the 4 years no matter what company there with will be intviewed at end of apprenticeship for permanent job positions if available. Might not be the case with smaller firms but id reckon the big companies do.Correct me if im wrong .

To anyone that has done their interview, how long did it last?

To anyone that has done their interview, how long did it last?

There about 40 minutes long

I heard it only feels like 5 minutes it goes so fast

• Advertisement

Will the ESB be hiring more apprentices this year because of what happened with covid last year?

I asked in the interview and they said they'll try facilitate 40-60

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rossaree

New on here son has applied this year again interview done so far waiting game now. Good luck to everyone. I wonder how many they take on like e.g. if you selected a depot in a particular region how many positions are available for apprentices in that particular location. End of august we were told when we'd hear back.

I asked in the interview and they said they'll try facilitate 40-60

Lets hope its more near 60 than 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 user3177

Hi, been following this thread for a while , my partner has applied for esb apprenticeship this year and did the aptitude etc. He was told via email that he would hear back in june after the shortlisting. he received that shortlisting email twice like others in this thread but has not heard back if it is a yes or no for interview and it is now july. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

user3177 wrote: »
    Hi, been following this thread for a while , my partner has applied for esb apprenticeship this year and did the aptitude etc. He was told via email that he would hear back in june after the shortlisting. he received that shortlisting email twice like others in this thread but has not heard back if it is a yes or no for interview and it is now july. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?
    I know some dublin areas and midlands areas had interviews this week and last. Not sure what order of region interviews are in. Looking back on threads here some in past years were waiting on medicals while others were already offered the apprenticeship. The fact you havent heard yet means still in with a chance of been called. Its an awful slow process for the amount they actually take on in the end. Hope you hear some news soon sometimes no news is good news. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eGannon123

user3177 wrote: »

I'm in the same boat.

• Advertisement

Anyone else had to redo aptitude tests after the interview, Got an email yesterday to ask me to redo some of them again. Would this mean I have passed interview stage?

I know it says that some maybe selected to redo aptitude tests. To me its a sign your in the running anyways if your interview wasnt succesfull id reckon there not going to bother putting you through resit aptitudes again so take it as a good sign. It be a pain having to resit but from what i heard i think its only parts of the previous tests. I think they just check scores that they arent massive differences.Did you get much notice for it, when is it would it give you enough time to practice them again. Eitherway best of luck.

Thank you. Done now! I got an email on Tuesday evening to have them done by today. Not much time to practice and I hadn't looked at them since doing them the first time. I had to repeat 2 sections.

I haven't heard anything myself yet would that be a good or a bad sign do ye reckon?

Do all candidates have to resit partd of the tests?

No some get selected to resit aptitude tests not everyone. You probably wont hear anything until mid to end of august thats what my son was told. Medicals next stage id reckon theyll be mid august provided covid doesnt play hell with things again. Best of luck everyone. If anyone gets any updates sure let us know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement