Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Birds doing worse than ever before

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Has the increase in the buzzard population, had any impact on the numbers of other bird species.

Some people have suggested they've impacted Kestrel, but there's no evidence to support that, and Kestrel declines here started before Buzzards came back. Otherwise no. Buzzards are not the expert hunters that you might think. Pigeons, corvids, rabbits, rodents are the majority of their diet. Even with regards the Stock Dove, predator-prey dynamics suggest that they likely aren't predated much by Buzzards (because they're so rare compared to other prey).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Has the increase in the buzzard population, had any impact on the numbers of other bird species.

I'd say buzzards impact on bird populations are minimal as they've a wide range of a diet , everything from worms, small mammals to roadkill , I think they're more of an opportunist hunter/scavenger rather than say a sparrowhawk who'd mainly just target birds.

i finally got around to reading 'whittled away' and it's shocking but not surprising. how much is the irish sea fishery actually worth? as in, how much would it cost to simply pay the trawlermen to stay at home instead?

They paid off the salmon driftnet men 30 million to stop about 15 years ago. It's hasn't really done anything to increase salmon numbers though that's due to a wide range of factors . It's the EU that give out massive quotas to foreign boats that fish our water , that's the problem . Another problem is the catching of sprat which are turned into pellets to feed farmed salmon. Many coastal birds like puffins rely on sprat as a huge part of there diet . Farmed salmon is one of the most toxic and damaging industries going . I wouldn't eat farmed salmon if you paid me .

Sure look at the fish packets battered fish they sell in shops most of its alaskan pollock as the cod stocks around europe have collapsed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

They paid off the salmon driftnet men 30 million to stop about 15 years ago. It's hasn't really done anything to increase salmon numbers though that's due to a wide range of factors . It's the EU that give out massive quotas to foreign boats that fish our water , that's the problem . Another problem is the catching of sprat which are turned into pellets to feed farmed salmon. Many coastal birds like puffins rely on sprat as a huge part of there diet . Farmed salmon is one of the most toxic and damaging industries going . I wouldn't eat farmed salmon if you paid me .

Sure look at the fish packets battered fish they sell in shops most of its alaskan pollock as the cod stocks around europe have collapsed

The salmon drift netting pay off was a farce.
    We all new the drift netting wasn't the major problem but the easiest targets at the Time.
    Destroying nature and wildlife will go on because the big corporations and companies who are doing the damage are to rich or to much in bed with governments to make them answerable to no one.
    Also saying cats are a reason for disappearance of our birds is like saying dolphin and shark are the reason for the near existence of tuna. We all know deep down what the problems are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

On a more positive note I live in South Wicklow and the Red Kite population is doing really well here, seeing them further and further from Avoca now. There is a nice population of them in the woods behind my house so they're always overhead, great to see. I also have a woodpecker in my garden although haven't been able to get a picture of it. They're popping up in places around here now. Buzzards and sparrow hawks are regular here too and I've seen a few peregrines.

What's happening to our ecology is awful, but we have good people actively encouraging conservation and protecting our wildlife and I try to take the positives from that.

Yes I've also seen a general increase in raptor numbers here over the last few years and now have a fairly strong presence of buzzards in the area.

Interesting you have a woodpecker! They are another relatively recent addition to our fauna

https://magill.ie/archive/first-woodpeckers-irish-history-spotted

On conservation- unfortunately there will always be pressure on ecology especially considering the fact that the population on the Island here has nearly doubled since the 1970s.

That said I do wonder has there been any comprehensive study on how many of the birds on that list are simply not making it Ireland in the first place.

https://wilderness-society.org/killing-fields-migratory-birds-southern-europe/

• Advertisement

I saw someone recently asking to ID a dead bird. Apparently the bird must have attacked the cat first because the cat never hunts birds...

You think you were on a cat lovers page instead of a wildlife one with them justifying cats killing birds . I've stopped commenting as you may as well be talking to a wall as trying to tell someone to put a bell on them or keep them inside during nesting season. I had an argument with a woman who had 5 outdoor cats saying she could live with them bringing home birds as there was loads of them . Then a week later see was screaming blue murder about people poisoning buzzard in cork . You couldn't make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hopefully that documentary (Seapiracy) which has got widespread exposure, has got alot more people exposed and educated to the reality of industrial fishing practices that are raping our seas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes I've also seen a general increase in raptor numbers here over the last few years and now have a fairly strong presence of buzzards in the area.

Interesting you have a woodpecker! They are another relatively recent addition to our fauna

https://magill.ie/archive/first-woodpeckers-irish-history-spotted

On conservation- unfortunately there will always be pressure on ecology especially considering the fact that the population on the Island here has nearly doubled since the 1970s.

That said I do wonder has there been any comprehensive study on how many of the birds on that list are simply not making it Ireland in the first place.

https://wilderness-society.org/killing-fields-migratory-birds-southern-europe/

Intensification of agriculture since the 1970's has annihilated biodiversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 diabhail

I have a Yellowhammer in my garden! Well I am 99% certain it is a yellowhammer. A beautiful bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This sh*t doesn't help either, so many reports of this already this year

https://twitter.com/AnnMOConnor/status/1383831332497739789

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

This sh*t doesn't help either, so many reports of this already this year

https://twitter.com/AnnMOConnor/status/1383831332497739789

I'm just back from a walk and I passed a field where they are decimating a mature hedgerow into that despicable box shape. Right in the middle of nesting season. It's absolutely heartbreaking, especially when you feel powerless to do anything about it. Most of the hedgerows around my area are that awful box shape, which I was told recently by a farmer was to make them look 'pretty'. His word, not mine. It's infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

new wildlife crime unit

I'd watch that show.

"You can run, but you'll never go to ground... with THE BADGER SQUAD!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The local council have just commenced cutting ditches on the road in my locality. All the heavy machinery arrived this morning. Are there rules around this? I assume this is not good at this time of year at all for nesting birds.k but I don't know enough on the issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

SeaFields wrote: »
    The local council have just commenced cutting ditches on the road in my locality. All the heavy machinery arrived this morning. Are there rules around this? I assume this is not good at this time of year at all for nesting birds.k but I don't know enough on the issue.

They will say it's necessary for road safety, in which case it is legal. Needless to say there was plenty of time they could have trimmed back roadside hedgerows before birds were nesting! It's worth sending a polite email to your local county councillors to that effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they will claim it can be done for road safety reasons (there's no off season for that). but if they are claiming that now, it begs the obvious question as to why they didn't do it a few months ago.

Advertisement