Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Comerman

slegs wrote: »
    Never thought Kilkenny fans were ones for sour grapes but this one obviously has hurt deep

Go back and read other posts, not a sour grape here. Best team won but the first card of the day shouldn't of been a straight red. Well done to Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

holyhead wrote: »
    Facilitated by a sending off.

Still a hammering. Record books won’t have an asterisk beside the scoreline.

It was also facilitated by poor second half Kilkenny tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

marvin80 wrote: »
    Tyrell looked like an idiot with his view - it was very satisfying.

That says more about you than him sadly! One of the most decorated players in the history of hurling.

Still a hammering. Record books won’t have an asterisk beside the scoreline.

People have long memories!

Seadin wrote: »
    I find it strange that kilkenny fans are surprised to get to a final. They always get there even with less talented teams through the decades. I cant see Cody staying on. He's been highly successful with kilkenny but i think he isn't going to win another All Ireland with Kilkenny. I don't say that as an insult i just dont think he cant get anymore out of this panel of players.

Your expectations in any year depends on the strength of the panel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Comerman wrote: »
    Go back nobby and read other posts, not a sour grape here. Best team won but the first card of the day shouldn't of been a straight red. Well done to Tipp.

It was a straight red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

marvin80 wrote: »
    Tyrell looked like an idiot with his view - it was very satisfying.

Henry Shefflin also at half time today.

It was a straight red.

As I've said and so was the slap into the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Neutral here, anyone who thinks it wasn't a straight red needs their head checked. It's one of the most straight forward red cards you could ever see. Bad weather, the fact that it's an all ireland final etc. do not change the rules of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

That says more about you than him sadly! One of the most decorated players in the history of hurling.

So you have a referee, former players, current players, former managers all saying it was a red and Tyrell says it wasn't while getting a few cheap digs in at Tipp and you think he didn't look stupid?

What he's won in the past is irrelevant to him making himself look stupid and naive.

• Advertisement

Henry Shefflin also at half time today.

Henry was making no sense. On one hand he was saying by the letter of the law it was a red but because hogan was his ex teammate well he shouldn’t get sent off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭threeball

threeball wrote: »
    You wouldn't think it with the amount of moaning going on. It wasn't even a close game. It was a hammering.

Facilitated by a sending off.

Richie Hogan in his prime wasn't worth 12pts never mind the current version. If you think that the game turned to that degree on the sending off you either can't objectively analyse the game or you're deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

You have no choice only to accept that ye haven't been good enough to win.

You should also accept that ye haven't been good enough that you can afford to be sniping at anyone else, let alone a county that has won EIGHT :eek: in the meantime.

:D

That was a class kk team in those 8 years. Fantastic achievement but thats history now. Today is Tipps day and they are also a super team. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Kilkenny poster here.

Can all kilkenny people on this thread please take a deep breath, review what you are posting before hitting submit and try not to embarrass ourselves.

We were beaten by a better team today. At the match, in real time I thought Hogan was hard done by. Looking at the replays it was the correct decision.

Well done Tipp. Ye were tuned in today and handled your numerical advantage to perfection. Even 15 v 15 you would have had our measure as we were carrying about 5 or 6 passengers who didn't perform.

It's difficult to be beaten so comprehensively. However, it is important to be gracious in defeat as I like to think we are in victory. Despite how it ended the year has been a success.

Still bloody hate Tipp though...

Richie Hogan in his prime wasn't worth 12pts never mind the current version. If you think that the game turned to that degree on the sending off you either can't objectively analyse the game or you're deluded.

My Jazus, some players don't need to score to have an impact on a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

That was a class kk team in those 8 years. Fantastic achievement but thats history now. Today is Tipps day and they are also a super team. :D

Indeed they are.

I think Tipp would have won but sending off did make it easier and Kilkenny weren’t able to adapt their game plan in second half. Never retained possession through the lines but pucking Hail Marys into a Tipp defence with extra men.

Richie Hogan’s red card was the wrong call and it ruined the All Ireland Hurling final.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/4455075/babs-keating-richie-hogan-red-card-all-ireland/

Babs Keating, take a bow !

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

If that's a red then technically there's 3/4 reds a game touching playere in the head ! Barrett knew well what he was at

Neutral here, anyone who thinks it wasn't a straight red needs their head checked. It's one of the most straight forward red cards you could ever see. Bad weather, the fact that it's an all ireland final etc. do not change the rules of the game.

As an Offaly man I am disappointed that Micheal Duignan mentioned the weather in relation to the sending off.

• Advertisement

Tipperary scoring all them goals and points also ruined the game, shame on them.

Why did kk keep hitting high ball down on the Tipp backs. That clearly wasnt working but they kept doing it. Surprised Cody didnt do something about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Tipperary scoring all them goals and points also ruined the game, shame on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭threeball

Comerman wrote: »

My Jazus, some players don't need to score to have an impact on a game.

I didn't say score 12pts. No one player is going to change a game from a hammering to a close run thing. Just accept your beating. My own county were completely flat last year, ended up losing by a point and we did 10 times less bitching than I've seen on this thread so far. Take your beating and give tipp their due.

True. You clearly know more about hurling than the average Sligo man.

But did you know, and this is what tickled me - Babs is a Tipperary legend, and former manager.

;)

But did you know, and this is what tickled me - Babs is a Tipperary legend, and former manager.

;)
    I knew, it was a joke obviously. I never understood this "ruining the game" talk though.

I didn't say score 12pts. No one player is going to change a game from a hammering to a close run thing. Just accept your beating. My own county were completely flat last year, ended up losing by a point and we did 10 times less bitching than I've seen on this thread so far. Take your beating and give tipp their due.
    Go back and read three balls, I accepted the better team won from the start. And as I said WELL DONE TIPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It was a dreadful final in many respects.

I thought we had a game on in the first 20 mins when KK choked the Tipp half forward line.

But once Tipp found their groove you knew there was only going to be one winner. A total blitzkrieg in the second half.

;)
    Oh, and didn't you know that Sligo is a hurling county? 2019 Nicky Rackard Cup champions! :)

• Advertisement

Oh, and didn't you know that Sligo is a hurling county? 2019 Nicky Rackard Cup champions! :)

I did indeed. And congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

While Tipp were at their brilliant best in the second half, I can’t help but feel that a lot of the genuine Tipp fans will view this as a hollow victory.

Yes it was more than likely a red card, but the reaction of Barrett was over the top and did influence the decision. If someone gets hit from the side with any real force they fall straight down and their feet don’t leave the ground. Barretts feet went up in the air and his head went back indicating the theatrics at play. I know that people will say rules are rules but we all know rules are different when it come to All Ireland finals. Remember Tannion broke TJs knee cap in the 2012 final and only got a yellow. Also Stephen O’Brien is free to play in the football despite 3 black cards.

It’s unfortunate that all the talk is about the card as up until then it was a really good game despite the biblical rain. I felt it was going to go down to the wire and what a game that would have been.

Unfortunately for a Tipp, the same questions still remain over this team. Forde was terrible, bubbles was not in the game until the second half when the space opened up and the suggestion that he will win an all star after he failed to touch the ball against Laois and hit two atrocious wides today is nonsense.

Kilkenny played quite well today but couldn’t live with the extra space created by the spare man. I think this game will stand to them and they will be in contention next year again.

Personally I felt there as a very subdued atmosphere around today. I think the move to August has changed the whole dynamic with people still on holidays and the schools not back.
    Having the minor final on at 1pm was very odd especially considering the pubs didn’t open until 12:30 (another joke).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Last Stop wrote: »
    While Tipp were at their brilliant best in the second half, I can’t help but feel that a lot of the genuine Tipp fans will view this as a hollow victory.

Ah stop please

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Loughnane said that the oul adage of 'Kilkenny for the hurlers, Tipperary for the men' has been completely flipped on its head.

They both outmuscled and outhurled the cats today. You give that wristy forward line supply and they'll crucify ya.

Yes it was more than likely a red card, but the reaction of Barrett was over the top and did influence the decision. If someone gets hit from the side with any real force they fall straight down and their feet don’t leave the ground. Barretts feet went up in the air and his head went back indicating the theatrics at play. I know that people will say rules are rules but we all know rules are different when it come to All Ireland finals. Remember Tannion broke TJs knee cap in the 2012 final and only got a yellow. Also Stephen O’Brien is free to play in the football despite 3 black cards.

Wait until they realise it was Barry Kelly on the line, they'll be offering us a replay on the grounds of natural justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Just catching up on the Sunday game now. Can someone in littlewoods send Jackie on a pair of socks he seems to have forgotten his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Tipperary proved today and indeed this year what I've thought for the last few years, that at their best Tipp have the best players in the country.

Kilkenny got the lightning start and were flying it, their forwards were putting savage pressure on Tipp which was causing the Tipp backs to cough up possession and give their inside forwards very poor deliveries they had little chance of winning. Fennelly's goal chance was huge in this period, would have put them 8 up and made it a very long road back for Kilkenny.

Once Niall O'Meara got his brilliant goal it seemed to flick a switch for Tipp and they were well on top from then on, with their forwards starting to trouble the Kilkenny backs and they started to get more of a grip around the middle.

The Hogan incident was huge, it's a red card. It's unarguable in my mind. It's wreckless, high and led with the elbow. Red. There was a couple of mitigating factors in that the wet conditions made it slippery, Barrett ducked into it slightly and Hogan was likely sore over Barrett not getting a yellow for a poor tackle on him earlier. But it's still a red.

Red cards in modern hurling are absolutely huge, it allows you to have sweeper while also allowing your forwards to be man for man. It means it's easy to shut down the opposition full forward line, work it out of your defence and pick a man and then he can deliver into forwards who won't be outnumbered. McGrath was able to deliver his forwards some dream deliveries today.

There's no better forwards in the game than those Tipp ones when they're getting the right ball, lethal dangerous and the best in the business at creating and finishing goals.

Essentially they won the game in about 5 second half minutes, courtesy of the goal scorer supreme Seamie Callanan. He got 1-1 in this period and created a goal with a classy pass.

From there on Tipp seemed to play quiet conservatively and were happy to trade points until they finished strong with the subs making a big impression. During this period it was very noticeable they held their half back line very deep and generally had 5/6 players inside their own 45. Presumably working on the presumption there was no way back for Kilkenny without goals.

This is where I'd fault Kilkenny most, they played into Tipps hands in the second half by playing so directly when Tipp had so many players stationed close to their own goal. Ball after ball was rained into a full forward line often outnumbered 4 or 5 to 2.

Kilkenny needed to be more patient, work it through the lines, pick off a few points and try draw Tipp out a bit.

Once the game was secure Tipp opened up again and finished the job in style.

Overall they are worthy champions but I wouldn't be putting the mortgage on them to do 2 in a row. Limerick look best placed to challenge but Galway, Kilkenny, Cork and the rest won't be far behind them.

Noel McGrath for hurler of the year. Good Munster championship and then man of the match in the semi final and final. One of the most natural hurlers to play the game. His touch, striking, vision are just a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Only two teams tried to play hurling in this years Championship, and that was Cork and Tipp in patches, so delighted hurling won the day. Cody is some man for motivation and getting that dogmatic intensity in his teams, but they lack natural hurlers, compared to the former. Looking at the hiding the Cork underage team gave KK, the next few years will be between Tipp and Cork. Intensity will only get you so far, all the hurlers are in Cork and Tipp these days, not KK

. Fennelly's goal chance was huge in this period, would have put them 8 up and made it a very long road back for Kilkenny. .[/quote]

Eh?

Only two teams tried to play hurling in this years Championship, and that was Cork and Tipp in patches, so delighted hurling won the day. Cody is some man for motivation and getting that dogmatic intensity in his teams, but they lack natural hurlers, compared to the former. Looking at the hiding the Cork underage team gave KK, the next few years will be between Tipp and Cork. Intensity will only get you so far, all the hurlers are in Cork and Tipp these days, not KK

Sure if you're going to use underage as your barometer, then surely the next few years will have to factor Galway in ?

It’s unfortunate that all the talk is about the card as up until then it was a really good game despite the biblical rain. I felt it was going to go down to the wire and what a game that would have been.

Unfortunately for a Tipp, the same questions still remain over this team. Forde was terrible, bubbles was not in the game until the second half when the space opened up and the suggestion that he will win an all star after he failed to touch the ball against Laois and hit two atrocious wides today is nonsense.

Kilkenny played quite well today but couldn’t live with the extra space created by the spare man. I think this game will stand to them and they will be in contention next year again.

Personally I felt there as a very subdued atmosphere around today. I think the move to August has changed the whole dynamic with people still on holidays and the schools not back.
    Having the minor final on at 1pm was very odd especially considering the pubs didn’t open until 12:30 (another joke).

I agree with you about the move to August,and the ironic thing is big club games will still have to be played in the November and December like they were last year and in all the years before the change to having the All Ireland Final in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Eh... Cork masters at underage? Really? Three-in-a-row Minor champs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

All the hurlers are in cork ???? This is the same team that kk beat handy enough in the q final ya ?

Anyone see Cody ignoring Hogan when he was sent off and walking to the dugout? Cody must have been bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Anyone see Cody ignoring Hogan when he was sent off and walking to the dugout? Cody must have been bullying.
    Ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I read somewhere that the Tipp team blanked Varadkar when collecting the medals lol. Anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

lufties wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the Tipp team blanked Varadkar when collecting the medals lol. Anyone know if this is true?

He was standing back a bit, wasn't taking the limelight. He shook hands with a few, but wasn't in line where lads would have to walk directly past. Certainly didn't look like anyone was blanking him, he wasnt in line with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Hoboo wrote: »
    He was standing back a bit, wasn't taking the limelight. He shook hands with a few, but wasn't in line where lads would have to walk directly past. Certainly didn't look like anyone was blanking him, he wasnt in line with them.

Fair enough. Thought the lads might be making a statement about the state of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Tipperary played brilliant with an extra man. Nothing new there. They weren't too hot 15 on 15 or in the Munster final .

Did you ever consider maybe losing the Munster Final was the better outcome for Tipp as over the last number of championships the Munster Winners did not go on to win All Ireland

Also The Red card was totally correct Barrett had fouled Hogan earlier and Hogan tried to get him back and was going to drive him over the sideline with a shoulder but Barrett saw it coming and pulled back and hogan was going to miss and instead of just going past Barrett he cynically lifted his elbow and clattered Barrett on the Jaw could have been a very serious injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

lufties wrote: »
    Fair enough. Thought the lads might be making a statement about the state of the country.

I very much doubt Brexit or the lack of affordable housing was on their mind after beating Kilkenny and about to celebrate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

KK fans all going on about decision of ref on hogan don't forget ye got to Final due to bad decision in Semi, Limerick line ball was clearly shown to be deflected by KK man for a 65

So ye benefited that day from a bad decision and today well thats the way it goes

• Advertisement
Advertisement