Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is there a time and date set for the senior football final?

I didn't see any on the DublinGAA website - just the semis for the football in two weeks, and the final for the hurling this weekend.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Yes.

And how do the ref/ linesman know who that is, when they don't have a TMO to go to.

Is this the "two wrongs make a right" defence?

We all know it can be difficult for referees to see absolutely everything on a field, always was and always will be.

But that does not mean it is fine that referees will just book both players as a default, despite not actually knowing what happened and not actually seeing both players do anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Is this the "two wrongs make a right" defence?

We all know it can be difficult for referees to see absolutely everything on a field, always was and always will be.

But that does not mean it is fine that referees will just book both players as a default, despite not actually knowing what happened and not actually seeing both players do anything wrong.

So referee sees two players on the ground fighting - didn't see how it started.

Doesn't have a TMO to go to. Linesmen don't know how it started.

What is the appropriate response?

Two red cards for fighting, is that supposed to be a trick question?

So why did the ref give 2 yellow cards at the weekend, and why do refs always just give 2 yellow cards in those instances?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

So why did the ref give 2 yellow cards at the weekend, and why do refs always just give 2 yellow cards in those instances?

I asked the question.

What do you think is the appropriate response by a referee when faced with this situation that I described above.

• Advertisement

I asked the question.

What do you think is the appropriate response by a referee when faced with this situation that I described above.

I very clearly answered that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think many refs takes the same attitude as many bouncers in a nightclub if they see trouble throw them all out. Or give both a warning at the very least. It is like a teacher in class who gives both pupils detention no matter who instigated it.

I remember at a local club game a fella was given a blatant box in the head (pretending to go for the ball)
    He was spark out, on the ground.
    The fella who threw the punch realised straight away that he was in trouble, and threw himself on the ground holding his head. Letting on he was hit. I started laughing - what is he at?

But somehow both the linesman and the ref missed it. Happened beside the linesman!
    They had a brief consultation and the ref gave both lads a yellow each!

Yer man who threw the box was laughing to himself for a good while after.
    It is madness, I don't think you see that type of thing as often from refs in other codes?

I think they definitely need some sort of help whether it be more refs/linesman with specific duties.
    Or else at least they should have a ref assessor watching the game, if the ref is consistently poor get rid of him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Or else at least they should have a ref assessor watching the game, if the ref is consistently poor get rid of him.

They are assessed regularly but the problem is that you cant simply 'get rid of him' there is already a chronic shortage of refs, somrthing that is going to continue to get worse. What usually happens when a ref gets a poor assessment is that they drop down a level or two as punishment but are back up almost immediately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

To some of the Dublin hurling historians, how many times did Alan Coyne play senior hurling for Dublin, or how many times would he have played at Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

bruschi wrote: »
    To some of the Dublin hurling historians, how many times did Alan Coyne play senior hurling for Dublin, or how many times would he have played at Croke Park?

Who? Don't recall him playing for Dublin. Which is not to say he did not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Who? Don't recall him playing for Dublin. Which is not to say he did not.

Googled him and unfortunately seems his life has taken a bad turn. This was the top article as its so new but it says this about his hurling career

Mr Coyne said he had played for senior inter county hurling for Dublin in the past, was a former member of St Brigid's GAA club and had graced Croke Park "many times".

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1084040/

dobman88 wrote: »
    Googled him and unfortunately seems his life has taken a bad turn. This was the top article as its so new but it says this about his hurling career

Mr Coyne said he had played for senior inter county hurling for Dublin in the past, was a former member of St Brigid's GAA club and had graced Croke Park "many times".

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1084040/

Made it all up it seems. There was a Coyne who played for the Fingal hurling team but he wasn't from Brigids I don't think.

Anyway, Cuala will beat the cartel today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Con O Callaghan on the receiving end of a very poor challenge today. Any updates on his injury?

He walked off, hobbling, but not serious.

Nolan should have walked for that. He has bad habit of leaving boot into forward's leg. Going to end badly some time. It is classic Chopper Harris Norman Hunter badness for those of you familiar with retro soccer when it was worth watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Just seen replay there, that's absolutely shocking from Nolan. Should have been a straight red. At what other point in a game could you get away with that? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

What was the story with the straight red for the Brigids fella? Anyone see what he done?

hunter164 wrote: »
    What was the story with the straight red for the Brigids fella? Anyone see what he done?

there was a lot of stuff going on. Barrs ref well on top of most of it, as he might be :p

Bit of talk about Nolan because his victim today was the Great One. He does this regularly including with county and gets a bye ball because he is brave as fk and will put himself on line.

However, It is dangerous sh1T and he will do someone serious harm one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Seen a lad get his leg snapped in two by a very similar tackle. This keeper had a nasty habit of doing the exact same thing as Nolan. The lad he hit never played again and still walks with a bit of a gimp, this was 6 years ago.
    Someone needs to have a word with him before he ruins someone's career.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

It was a disgracefull tackle. He has no business making contact with the forward with a flying boot. The potential for doing serious damage to another player is sky high with that type of reckless play.

Straight red all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

there was a lot of stuff going on. Barrs ref well on top of most of it, as he might be :p

Bit of talk about Nolan because his victim today was the Great One. He does this regularly including with county and gets a bye ball because he is brave as fk and will put himself on line.

However, It is dangerous sh1T and he will do someone serious harm one day.

I don't think Nolan is brave at all, he always comes out with the intention of taking out the forward.

Maguire no better. Wonder why Mattie Kenny hasn't given Brennan a run out.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I don't think Nolan is brave at all, he always comes out with the intention of taking out the forward.

He would know him well so strange maybe. Brennan wouldn't have longest puck out perhaps. Good goalkeeper. Concedes very few goals and generally uses ball well. Cunningham would definitely have had him for distribution.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

When Wexford played Kilkenny this year, a similar tackle from Eoin Murphy was praised all over for his bravery. Very few, if any at all that I can recall, stated that it was a stone wall penalty.

001238e9-800.jpg

1729744.jpg

It also happened in the Clare Tipp game, but I do think the keeper was punished in that one.

Point being, it almost seems accepted that a keeper can come out and do a Toni Schumacher tackle and get away with it. Leading out leg first like keepers do is not to save the ball, its to save themselves and take out a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He would know him well so strange maybe. Brennan wouldn't have longest puck out perhaps. Good goalkeeper. Concedes very few goals and generally uses ball well. Cunningham would definitely have had him for distribution.

Brennan is more accurate than either of the other two, probably hasnt the same range but then we don't really have lads in the forward line to lump high ball into.

Brennan is more accurate than either of the other two, probably hasnt the same range but then we don't really have lads in the forward line to lump high ball into.

He is and is very good under pressure, Vital part of Cuala game plan which is based on ridiculous % of own possession from puck outs,

Strangely enough he would have been perfect for Ger Cunningham plan. I be one of his few defenders, but I reckon with his coaching eye he had spotted where Dublin might improve, but it all went pear shaped.

New plan is no better, obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Agree with the general consensus about the tackle. It was violent and he deserved a red. Cuala seemed to sleep walk their way through the game a lot and the first touch of their forwards was surprisingly poor. Brigid's performed well but I was cheering for Cuala from the second minute after that tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As an aside I have yet to meet a sane hurling goalkeeper. They all have more than a few screws loose if you ask me :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Sad to see Bernard finish up be weird not having any Brogans on the panel.

Amazing player such great memories think he done okay for himself in the end as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bernard had a great career. That period from say 2010-2015 he was genuinely up there with some of the all-time greats.

Was a Footballer of the Year for a team that didn't win the AI before it became cool to give out when Mayo players done the same too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Easily one of the best to have played the game. Would make any greats team, any decade. Serious level of drive and commitment to the cause, and never let any of his injuries set him back, and remember some were quite serious.

And fwiw; a genuinely nice guy too, for anyone that ever had the pleasure of meeting him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

I've been watching football since the mid 90's and I think Bernard Brogans 2010 season is the best season I've seen from a player, he was so great that year that even though Dublin were beaten in the All Ireland semi final he was the only possible candidate for footballer of the year. His semi final performance against Cork was something special 1-6 from play. He was essentially the only forward Dublin had that year and despite all the attention he was getting from the opposition he still managed to put up huge numbers of scores.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement