Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernie Madoff Dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

In Jail Aged 82. Defrauded Scientologist Tom Cruise, Joyce Greenerg and Ilene Kent's elderly parents. amongst others. I do not feel any sympathy for Bernie. What do other boardsies think?

Why would you feel sympathy for him? Tens of thousands die everyday that you don't know and you don't ask yourself if you feel sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

But he only served 12 of the 150 years he was sentenced to!

The worst consequence of his scam was having to watch Kevin Bacon doing Orange mobile phone ads because of it. The horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

he marketed his investment as open to Jewish people only, I always found that interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Why would you feel sympathy for him? Tens of thousands die everyday that you don't know and you don't ask yourself if you feel sympathy for them.

Look at the grief junkies in the Philip the Racist thread.

• Advertisement

Another great man lost. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

valoren wrote: »
    But he only served 12 of the 150 years he was sentenced to!

Prob would have gotten out after 125 with good behaviour tbh

No sympathy for him, but not much sympathy either for very wealthy people who thought they were billionaires based on unearned income. In the hierarchy of tragedies, this one doesn't really rank.

^^^^And that's why I posted thread here in good old AH! I'm not that well liked in ranting and raving forum either :D

Capitalism exploits each of us every day, and he exploited it. His only crime was getting caught.

May the clouds lower to meet him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fcuk sake. Phil Spector, Screech and now Madoff. This is worse than 2016.

The tether cryptocurrency scam operating at the moment is way bigger than Madoff’s scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Capitalism exploits each of us every day, and he exploited it. His only crime was getting caught.

May the clouds lower to meet him.

He got caught in the wrong country. If he made hundreds of millions here by bribing a government minister, he’d be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Wizard of lies is a great movie. DeNiro plays Bernie.

The Nal wrote: »
    Fcuk sake. Phil Spector, Screech and now Madoff. This is worse than 2016.

What???? Screech? Saved by the Bell Screech is dead??? How did I not know about this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 watsonandcrick

Not to get into the conspiratorial side of things but does anyone find it hard to believe that he could steal €65 billion without anyone on Wall Street, the FBI, government finding out?

I think there were a lot of people who benefited from Madoffs fraud and didn't want the money to be recovered.

No sympathy for him, but not much sympathy either for very wealthy people who thought they were billionaires based on unearned income. In the hierarchy of tragedies, this one doesn't really rank.

Stole from charities too.
    https://t.co/gcaNlIlbO3?amp=1

he marketed his investment as open to Jewish people only, I always found that interesting.

Very strange as he was Jewish himself.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    What???? Screech? Saved by the Bell Screech is dead??? How did I not know about this?

He died very quickly, weeks after being diagnosed with cancer earlier this year.

He was broke, too, the poor sod. Seems to have had a very un-Screechlike life after SBTB, getting into knife fights and suchlike.

RiP Screech and Bernie, they're up there now, with Our Lord and Stalin and Bob Marley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

82? The good ones always die young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Marcos

He knew his market, or should I say marks, well. He presented himself as an exclusive investment manager and had people waiting ages to give him their money, thus building up the hype and more people wanted to give him their money. Some were literally begging to invest with him.

A very accomplished conman. But no morals, mind you, that's probably a conman's greatest "gift".

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

So he did died of a Wednesday.

On the front of this morning's Irish Daily Mail ..."$65 billion fraudster dies"

Hope that does'nt hurt some posters feelings too much on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

RIP, he only got that level of sentence due to public protest and a media witchhunt due to recession , white collar crime should have a 15 year cap

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RIP, he only got that level of sentence due to public protest and a media witchhunt due to recession , white collar crime should have a 15 year cap

150 years for the largest fraud in history seems fair enough.

A lot of damage to a lot of people in service of private gain seems to me to call for a high price.

We should see more long sentences for the likes of this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wizard of lies is a great movie. DeNiro plays Bernie.

thought it was pretty poor myself

This says a lot about your level of ethics tbh. He might not have killed anyone directly. But he ruined many lives and was responsible for a fair few suicides.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Kevin Bacon isn't Jewish so I doubt the above is true ?

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Kevin Bacon isn't Jewish so I doubt the above is true ?

Ofc he's not Jewish, his name isn't Kosher.

Advertisement