Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernie Madoff Dies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Ofc he's not Jewish, his name isn't Kosher.

:D

RIP, he only got that level of sentence due to public protest and a media witchhunt due to recession , white collar crime should have a 15 year cap

Lol.

RIP.

I don't know if it's because it was mostly rich people who got defrauded, but in my head I don't see him as being that much of a villain. I know what he did is obviously wrong but the Sean Fitzpatrick/Sean Quinn types are much more malevolent in how they impacted wider society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

No sympathy for him, but not much sympathy either for very wealthy people who thought they were billionaires based on unearned income. In the hierarchy of tragedies, this one doesn't really rank.

Absolutely .
    What a shower of selfish suckers.
    I'd be mortally ashamed if my name emerged as a participant in this inanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

Another great man lost. RIP.

Aye , ( Uncle ) Bernie Madoff RIP -OFF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Stupid rich so called celebs and their money eh... served most of them right anyway, half of them in the untouchable pedo ring... cnuts.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

d51984 wrote: »
    Stupid rich so called celebs and their money eh... served most of them right anyway, half of them in the untouchable pedo ring... cnuts.

No amount is ever enough. High net worth individuals, tens of millions of dollars but it wasn't enough and they had to go running to Bernie to have even more.

d51984 wrote: »

Multiple charities hit including that of Elie Wiesel and his life savings.. So I'm inclined to say that your commentary is more ignorant than anything else.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/34377176

• Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The sacrificial lamb of the banking crash that had virtually nothing to do with the root problem. Ever see the Big Short?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Multiple charities hit including that of Elie Wiesel and his life savings.. So I'm inclined to say that your commentary is more ignorant than anything else.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/34377176

Hence the "Most" part in my comment and not "All" ;)

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

RIP, he only got that level of sentence due to public protest and a media witchhunt due to recession , white collar crime should have a 15 year cap

Exactly. Rich people shouldn't have to face the consequences of their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

What I found amazing it that they have recovered 70% of the original money invested. They went after the investors who got out before the bust and took the profits.

"The Herculean effort to recover cash for the victims through litigation in bankruptcy court has so far repaid nearly 70% of valid claims -- a far better outcome than many expected when the fraud was fresh. "

The other Madoff story I loved, when a French bank, under pressure from it's customer to match his consistent returns, sent 3 experts to New York to find out how Bernie was working his magic.

They came back with a one line report:

"What Mr. Madoff claims is impossible."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I do feel sorry for his wife. Her two sons committed suicide and her husband was jailed within 5 years. That's rough.

Advertisement