Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Boards forecast contest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think that I posted the "minimum progression" scores that come into play when raw scores are generally low, but that was several years back and I tend to go from my memory or whatever seems fair.

The reason for the minimum progression rule is primarily to equalize the monthly scoring so that it tends not to matter very much which two months you drop from your totals, also, to reward better efforts in extreme cases where our normal scoring rules would require a broader error category. It's one thing to be 15% out on 90% of normal PRC (worth 10/15) but if you say 140 when it's 174 as our May leader Jpmarn did, then I think you deserve more than the raw score of 4/15 anyway, and with that nobody else would have scored anything (even those who said 120 or 130). Then there was the Dec 2010 IMT and MIN which would have generally left the scores all near zero.

However, just to give a reference point that I may remember in future cases (the June 2015 chill), and as a comment on this case, sometimes the numbers are marginally close to the standard and so they don't all need adjusting. Anyway, from now on, these will be the minimum progression values and you can probably figure out your score for the June MIN from this:

IMT -- must match or exceed
    ... 23,22,21,20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.

MAX,MIN -- must match or exceed
    ... 18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,9,8,8,7,7,6,6,5,5,4,4,3,3,2,2,1,1

PRC -- must match or exceed
    ... 15,14,13,12,11,10,10,9,9,8,8,7,7,6,6,5,5,4,4,3,3,2,2,1,1

SUN -- must match or exceed
    ... 10,9,9,8,8,7,7,6,6,5,5,4,4,3,3,2,2,1,1

BONUS is always scored in a rank order system and usually no issues arise.

Now as I went through those I realized that the May IMT did not start from 23 as the top scores were 20, but if I go back and correct those it will simply add roughly equal amounts to all scores and there were a lot of ties near the top so I think the fairness factor there would say to leave them as is. Also I would benefit more than most, so I'm happy to leave them alone. There have probably been one or two cases in the past where technically, these rules could have kicked in and boosted one or two scores, but I might not notice unless the general run of scores looks way too low, then we start up the machine and spit out the scores.

At this rate, the MAX will be the next problem child in our scoring family, but maybe that will adjust itself later. So whatever else happens with the MIN now, I think you can determine your score. When there are ties, the unused numbers in the progression are bumped out. Example, let's say three forecasts are tied for 3rd best MIN, then the scores actually go 18,17,16,16,16,13 etc. ... There can also be cases where some raw scores break through the slope and would be higher than minimum progression, in which case, those scores stand. Nobody ever loses in the min-prog game. I'm actually on the short list to be the next FIFA dictator-general or whatever that guy is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

0.7 Dublin airport 09-Jun-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

Day one of bonus

20.4c shannon

At least 3 or 4 more id say before a cold end to June

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

pauldry wrote: »
    Day one of bonus

20.4c shannon

3 more and thats it :):D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Day one of bonus

20.4c shannon

1 day down hopefully at least 9 more days with temperatures over 20c

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

All I need is for sixteen of the next 19 days to record 20c+ at Casement.

Slam dunk.

All I need is for sixteen of the next 19 days to record 20c+ at Casement.

Slam dunk.

Alls I need is for the temperature to average 24 by day and 10 by night one 26.2c day, dublin airport to not exist. Sun to shine normally , rain to fall normally in near 2 weeks of 20c in carlow. Eazy peezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

21 yesterday. Claremorris anyone?

Mullingar exactly 20.0 yesterday.
    A few more next week please.

After the second week ...

IMT now 11.3 with a somewhat warmer 11.7 mean (project this to be 12.5 within a week).

MAX so far 21.0 (Claremorris)

MIN 0.7 (Dublin) rather likely to hang in and scores are set anyway.

PRC now 73% of normal after an almost dry week (4% due to small amounts mainly in the south).

SUN at an impressive 138% of normal after the second week managed 161% of normal values.

BONUS sits at 3 days before today, could gain a few this week. Claremorris is the winning location so far.

• Advertisement

Bonus moves to 4 as of today, Monday 15th missed by 0.4 with Shannon at 19.6 the highest. Will edit in the details for today or perhaps somebody else will post them, at the 1500h hour I can see two stations at 21 C.

Casement leads on 21.6c

Maybe pheonix park

Phoenix Park 22.6 yesterday new max. :)

Bonus has reached five days as Cork reporting 21 C at the 1500h reports.

By the way, in the unlikely event that the Monthly Summary reports a monthly max from a station that we don't see in the daily list (yesterday's weather) that will count for the actual max in the contest but not in the bonus, we'll go with our own log of events for the bonus. I seem to recall this happening just once in the past, those other stations such as Kerry airport might make it into the later Monthly Bulletin. Perhaps what I recall is when they surprised me one month with Phoenix Park before it got into the daily list.

Anyway, that's the ruling just in case. Even the more pessimistic readings of the current charts would probably allow for one or two more days so most of us are now in play as John Mac crosses his fingerrs and hopes for a lot of days at 19 C. One more after today and the lead swings over to Tae laidir and sunflower3 who guessed seven days, but Tae laidir also guessed Phoenix Park so at this point is eligible for the super-bonus. Sunflower3 has Oak Park in case one of the the next additions is warmer than 22.6 there. Then it's omicron at 8 days.

Thursday 18th was a narrow miss for the bonus with 19.3 (JC) the max. Holding at five days.

Bonus has reached five six days as Cork reporting 21 C at the 1600h reports.

Safe to say 7 days now as cork n carlow 19c at 11am

Yep, Phoenix Park is now at 20C - my predicted 16 is looking good :rolleyes:

Safe to say 7 days now as cork n carlow 19c at 11am

Yes, Oak Park and Moore Park 21.8

I doubt anywhere made 20 today; miserable midsummers...

• Advertisement

I doubt anywhere made 20 today; miserable midsummers...

SLigo made 13.6c similar today

Northwesterly turning southwesterly tomorrow so rain will be from a warmer source

After three weeks ...

IMT has reached the lofty height of 12.1 C thanks to a fairly normal 13.9 last week.

MAX is now 22.6, MIN remains 0.7.

PRC has fallen to 62% with the week at 39% (mostly in northern locations which ran close to average, south was almost or totally dry as with Oak Park).

SUN took a hit, the week's low reading of 58% has dragged the month down to 111% of normal.

The bonus is often updated day to day, I think we are at 7 days unless today managed to squeak past 20 somewhere. The correct location so far is Phoenix Park.

Confirming that Sunday and Monday missed on the bonus, today (Tuesday 23rd) has apparently launched, so count stands at 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thursday Friday and Saturday look like decent chances for a 20 and then maybe the following Tuesday on the long range forecast? ;)

Phoenix Park shows 20 at 15.00.
    Does anyone know if ME use rounding on their latest reports?

I'm going to have an interesting bonus question for July, involving lightning.

Check out the met.ie website for their daily lightning reports, under the heading of Past Weather ...

http://www.met.ie/climate/lightning.asp

The bonus question will ask you to guess which date records the most lightning strikes on land in the Republic, and in which county. This will keep me pretty busy tabulating and interacting with the contestants who might raise some objections to my counting, which we will handle with the usual good humour and fair play (I hope). Lightning that strikes Northern ireland will be regarded as a curiosity and freak of nature. Lightning off the coast will be close but no cigar.

Watch for the July contest announcement on Friday, deus volente.

All the rest of june cud hv a 20 each day

.20.6c shannon today

CMonn oak park

Agreed, as we are now apparently at 9 days, I would certainly expect at least 4 out of 6 remaining days to qualify, so finish on 13 to 15 seems probable.

As to that lightning idea, as models are currently suggesting thunderstorm potential around 2nd-3rd, may have to devise some kind of two part question as my original concept could turn into a very short term forecast that may or may not be overtaken, so might try a question that gives a chance to do the short term and speculate on long term.

Dublin airport and Phoenix Park marginally over 20 yesterday.

• Advertisement

20 well beaten in several places today; that makes it 10?

Advertisement