Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora potentially visible under clear skies tonight

Options
  • 17-03-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭

Irish Weather Facebook is saying there's aurora potential tonight under clear skies in Ireland. Any opinions on the likelihood or where might get the best view if it comes to pass?
    Beautiful blue skies all day in Galway, hope it's good elsewhere.

The prediction is based on this :
    Severe Weather Europe
    AURORAL ACTIVITY WARNING! A severe G4-class geomagnetic storm is underway in response to a CME impact. Auroras may be visible as far south as the central France, Alps, Slovakia, Ukraine across Europe.

11061253_1651619521727809_4773190402332949340_n.png?oh=4f4f9e8b892eef017dd4c8f5e8e4d337&oe=55B13D96

https://www.facebook.com/severeweatherEU/photos/a.1423656947857402.1073741825.1377757209114043/1651619521727809/?type=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

good page to keep an eye on .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Impressive. Just 0.3 shy of a G5 (extreme) storm.

R9rNEWY.gif

Very intense aurora over Alaska at the moment. Beautiful.

CATvrtRUgAAN2gU.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

John mac wrote: »
    http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

good page to keep an eye on .

That's awesome!

Full coverage over Ireland if we're lucky to still have it going at nightfall and have clear skies :)

Rikand wrote: »
    That's awesome!

Full coverage over Ireland if we're lucky to still have it going at nightfall and have clear skies :)

Keep an eye on the forecast here (and check out the cool playback) as the aurora isn't evenly distributed.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/30-minute-aurora-forecast

Update from Solarham
    Sky watchers across Northern Europe, the UK and Scandinavia should experience brilliant aurora displays this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Would it be visable as far south as dublin/wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Was very strong here in Finland. Could see it from city centre. Gone quiet now.

Oh no actually it isn't at all. Sky is completely lit up! Amazing display!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

went out with the camera just there... i did see something but i'm not sure what it is. copying stuff off the card now.. will post a pic as soon as i can.

i'm in north county dublin btw, not too far from the naul

there's clear sky when you look up, but near the horizon is foggy type haze

Should be visible over the north now if there's any clear weather.

europe_thumb.jpg

• Advertisement

16847608955_1ba1943f72_c.jpgfaint aurora for paddys day? by dgk905, on Flickr

NIKON D7100 / ISO 640 / f/3.5 / 18mm / 20sec exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I assume you should be looking North for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Skies are clear here, cant see a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Seems to be a faint band of light in the northern hemisphere here in Achill now, unfortunately semi-obscured by cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Nothing but cloud in Waterford :(

Keep looking. Its coming and going here all the time. Rarely a better chance to catch it in Ireland I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

rarely a better chance, except for the big swathe of cloud across the middle of the country :D

Never get to see anything good in the midlands!

Now a few streaming pillars of light, but still very faint. Still, I haven't seen this for years so won't complain.

whatever's there is very faint

first two taken on 5d mark ii / 24-105mm @ 24mm / f/4 / 20sec exposure / iso 2000
    16660508830_9ca7d990bc_c.jpgfaint sky by dgk905, on Flickr

16225516344_468ff23d4e_c.jpgfaint sky by dgk905, on Flickr

nikon D7100 / 18mm / f/2.5 / 20 sec exposure / iso 640
    16640558547_cf45fcb0ea_c.jpgfaint sky by dgk905, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Sky to the north has a blanket of mist. As the sky is clear straight overhead it's frustrating.

• Advertisement

Just saw it in Galway very cool!! Very faint should be better later when it gets darker Green shimmer very very faint but visible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Just saw it in Galway very cool!! Very faint should be better later when it gets darker Green shimmer very very faint but visible

I'm looking north towards Galway but have the faint lights of the city on my horizon. Not sure if i will see anything but this has given me hope

Yep lucky here no real light facing north. Earlier it was just a green blur, but now it's a shimmering pale band above horizon very cool. very very faint but amazing to see. Will try to get photos if possible

Yep lucky here no real light facing north. Earlier it was just a green blur, but now it's a shimmering pale band above horizon very cool. very very faint but amazing to see. Will try to get photos if possible

Awesome :) sadly i can't think of anywhere within a reasonable driving distance that will give me a view if the horizon without having the galway lights in it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Where in Galway are you?

I'm really sick tonight, can't go out, can hardly stay awake but definitely cannot go to sleep if there's a vague chance of seeing the aurora from my window. Seeing it is top of my bucket list!

Claregalway away from town away from city. very faint going out soon again, will report in. looking north over curragh line, hence no light pollution. Pretty sure Galway city lights would ruin view, if it gets stronger later perhaps ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Claregalway away from town away from city. very faint going out soon again, will report in. looking north over curragh line, hence no light pollution. Pretty sure Galway city lights would ruin view, if it gets stronger later perhaps ok.

Ah I'm in the city. Still I predict a night of being glued to the window. :)
    I hope you see more where you are.

Skies have cleared a bit here. Now there is a large pale arc of light sitting quietly above the northern horizon, with some mist beneath it. I was really hoping for a better show but suppose it is early in the night yet.

Sadly i've given up for the night. A combination of light pollution and clouds i think means i'm highly unlikely to see anything 😟 good luck to those staying up & looking

• Advertisement

And we have liftoff!

Faint beams are now aiming upwards....

Advertisement