Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora potentially visible under clear skies tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Yes just saw them!! A bit worried about cloud coming in from west though. Can't get camera to work grrr.. Lol bit of technophobe going out again soon came in to warm up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Pillars of faint light are now approaching zenith. Still just pale white though.

Somewhat green here!

They seem to have retreated back towards the horizon for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭mosstin

Pale white visible in Sligo tonight also. Has faded somewhat in the past 30 mins. Lovely to witness for about 15 minutes.

• Advertisement

They seem to have all but disappeared here now. Time for bed I think. :(

Cloud from west ah well never seen it before very good

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

taken from my apartment window in town centre in Finland with Lumia 925.

I just sat at the window for ages and watched. lovely

342301.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Taken from twitter - visible over Waterford/Tipp

CAXvJSdXIAAh9u8.png:large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Aurora forecaster is forbidden on my server. :( what's the hopes of seeing to lights tonight? When would be the best time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

hi Deise08,

http://www.spaceweather.com is suggesting the storm is subsiding now.

Can you access the above site or the following?

http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk

http://www.solarham.net

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Thanks very much for that John. looks like I'm just that bit too south :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Anybody up north should look out now for aurora.
    Can see faint aurora from down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Last time I went searching, I saw nothing but I did only go as far as Swords.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There are absolutely amazing shots of last nights aurora over Donegal on Astronomy Irelands facebook

this is one by photographer Brendan Diver. He say there was no editing on his photos
    11149328_1022552301105818_8043065485825642183_n.jpg?oh=515c4ada429d32b43c17c4cdac22b250&oe=559BFF17

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Still some chances again tonight as there is some moderate g2 storming bouncing off us. The solar wind speed is 384km/s now but I'd say that will increase again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

kp3 predicted for tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Another solar flare is in coming for Tuesday night, also peak of lyrids meteor shower is on Wednesday night!

http://www.softservenews.com/en/aurora-borealis-breaking-news/another-aurora-storm-watch-news-300060.html

1973328_1573785052884347_4026802567503537389_o.jpg

10855140_1574546866141499_175761564373241672_o.jpg

Aurora alert Ireland (@Aurora_ireland)

NOAA are currently forecasting 45/65% chance of solar storms in the next 48 hours. Cloud good, humidity tonight could result in fog patches

A big cme blasted of from earth facing sunspot 2371 early Sunday morning and looks like it's heading directly for us.
    Forecast for tonight is looking decent if anything happens but bright sky's to the north won't help.

From Spaceweather.com
    FULL HALO CME, STORM WARNING: A coronal mass ejection (CME) is heading directly for Earth. It left the sun during the early hours of June 21st, and is expected to sweep up one or two lesser CMEs already en route, before it reaches Earth sometime on June 22nd.
    NOAA forecasters estimate a 90% chance of polar geomagnetic storms when the CME arrives. This doesn't mean that a major space weather event is in the offing. The storm could be mild. It all depends on how the magnetic field of the CME connects to the magnetic field of Earth at the time of impact. According to NOAA, there's only a 10% chance of nothing happening, so stay tuned.
    127-c3.gif

Here's the culprit. Good chance of more earth directed cmes in the next few days.
    regions_jun21.jpg

• Advertisement

It's worth mentioning that although it does look good for seeing the aurora, we're at the peak of summer long nights where the horizon never gets full dark. Even if KP Levels and BZ Levels are all right, the chances of actually seeing the aurora is very very low.

A strong g3 forecast and maybe some disruption to radio and sat comms.

June 22, 2015 @ 03:00 UTC
    Strong Geomagnetic Storm Watch Issued (UPDATED)
    The NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) has issued a Strong G3 Geomagnetic Storm watch beginning tomorrow (June 22). The expected storm is the result of a full halo CME observed early Sunday morning. Sky watchers at middle to high latitudes should be alert for visual aurora during the next several days.

Radiation Storm: Low energy proton levels continue to gradually climb higher and is approaching the moderate (S2) radiation storm threshold. This could have somewhat of an impact on HF radio propagation through the polar regions. Further enhancement will be possible as an expected CME shock front approaches our planet.

Looks like a cme hit earlier but might not be the big one from yesterday's flare.
    ace-epam-6-hour.gif

Also a big M6 flare ongoing at the minute with another possible earth directed cme. Pity this didn't happen earlier or later in the year with darker skies.

That was the small cme Lolie.
    June 22, 2015 @ 17:00 UTC
    Geomagnetic Storm in Progress / Aurora Watch
    The minor (G1) geomagnetic storm threshold was reached on Monday afternoon at high latitudes. This takes place in the wake of a weak CME passage early this morning. A reminder that another, and possibly much larger shock passage is due within the next 24 hours. This could intensify geomagnetic storming further. Sky watchers at middle to high latitudes should be alert for visible aurora displays.

Update
    Strong Solar Flare Detected
    A solar flare reaching above M6 level was detected on Monday afternoon beginning around 17:40 UTC. The source, sunspot 2371 is in a good geoeffective position for Earth directed eruptions. More details later this evening.

jun22_2015_m5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Look west and you will see Venus, you will see pink rays in the sky, I know the sky is still bright but it looks like the aurora to me?
    When the sky gets darker we'll see if it is or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A G4 Severe storm is in progress now.

cQ2ygUr.gif

This is so frustrating. The edge of the northern horizon is clear and orange, but the rest is under about 90 percent cloud. Some small breaks in this look much brighter than they should be.

Does anyone have clear skies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

sunbeam wrote: »
    This is so frustrating. The edge of the northern horizon is clear and orange, but the rest is under about 90 percent cloud. Some small breaks in this look much brighter than they should be.

Does anyone have clear skies?
    Clear skies here in Louth but not seeing anything

Clear skies here too and seen nothing except a hint of noctilucent clouds very low on the northern horizon.
    Kp7 but the magnetic field tilted north so might see very little anyway.
    View from the international space station earlier.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/StationCDRKelly/status/613085235207667716

• Advertisement

Skies have cleared here now. I see a few noctilucent clouds too, but nothing else of note. I think the sky is just too bright to see much anyway.

Advertisement