Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treaty United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

No one I know from Clare or Tipperary is going to support a team called Limerick, sure why would they?

They might support a team called Treaty but think Thomond would be an easier sell. It probably isn't a huge number of potential fans but it's an easier brand, imo, to sell to a wider group of people.

It was just an aside really, in reality it hardly matters.

Funny that because there was quite a few coming in from Clare, North Tipp, North Cork and North Kerry for Limerick games. When to away games where you had to stop and pick up lads in Clare when travelling up the M18 or Nenagh when travelling up the M7.

Funny that because there was quite a few coming in from Clare, North Tipp, North Cork and North Kerry for Limerick games. When to away games where you had to stop and pick up lads in Clare when travelling up the M18 or Nenagh when travelling up the M7.

Fair play if so, I've never met them at Limerick FC matches but I am a fair-weather supporter (and will continue in the same vein for Treaty, I guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

No one I know from Clare or Tipperary is going to support a team called Limerick, sure why would they?

They might support a team called Treaty but think Thomond would be an easier sell. It probably isn't a huge number of potential fans but it's an easier brand, imo, to sell to a wider group of people.

It was just an aside really, in reality it hardly matters.

I know quite a few from Clare and Tipperary who have supported Limerick FC through all the various name changes over the years, They are the only senior team in the region. There are several junior clubs from Clare and Tipperary who play in the Limerick leagues and whose best underage players' footballing ambitions are to play Kennedy cup for Limerick. A well-run club, with even moderate success, will attract supporters, whatever the name is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya there was even a supporters group called Banner Blues. You'd be surprised with how many people supported Limerick FC from other counties and a huge amount from Limerick county and not just the city. Nearly had better support coming from the county to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mastershake

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Pat O'Sullivan's limerick owe money all over town...last I heard, it was 300,000 owed to different limerick business', also owes the guards 50,000...

And don't get me started on how they treated Sean Russell...

If Pat was involved I won't be getting behind the project, and I'm someone who has been to over 100 away games(Harps, Monaghan & Derry are long fecking days) and been a season ticket for a number of years too...

If it is the case that Pat O'Sullivan owes such money then why hasn't the club being wound up yet? Its over a year since the club went through the courts during an examinership process with depts of over €490,000 and then there was a settlement with the FAI. My question is how is the company Limerick FC still operating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If it is the case that Pat O'Sullivan owes such money then why hasn't the club being wound up yet? Its over a year since the club went through the courts during an examinership process with depts of over €490,000 and then there was a settlement with the FAI. My question is how is the company Limerick FC still operating.

The club has zero assets, is why nothing has happened as far as I can see

Sure but it would have to mean that Limerick FC are still paying or have paid their debtors other wise the court would have issued a closing order. The company trades as Munster Football Club limited. Still can't understand how they're still able to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    I know quite a few from Clare and Tipperary who have supported Limerick FC through all the various name changes over the years, They are the only senior team in the region. There are several junior clubs from Clare and Tipperary who play in the Limerick leagues and whose best underage players' footballing ambitions are to play Kennedy cup for Limerick. A well-run club, with even moderate success, will attract supporters, whatever the name is.

We call them expatriates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

Larry Bass has stepped down as Cabo chairman, and the Limerick FC Independent Supporters group are implying it has something to do with Limerick. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any players signed for Treaty United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Paddico wrote: »
    Any players signed for Treaty United

Not that I know of. They're in limbo at the moment as they haven't been awarded a licence for LOI football.

Can't really start signing until that, although they did sign Tommy Barrett as manager. I think he has already said somewhere that the team will be mainly amateur this season, so it would be a load of local lads I suppose.

Probably be ULs Collingwood Cup team that's signed to play this season. We've got a few decent players kicking about that are locals or locally based because of work such as Conor Ellis and Sean Russell.

https://twitter.com/AherneMike95/status/1363212469800468484

Men's senior football returns to Limerick. Hopefully now that it's actually official we might see some announcements on a squad.

Probably looking at a few top junior players locally. A lot ex-Limerick underage.

Fantastic news for all concerned. If football is to prosper in Ireland the third city needs to start producing players who can some day go on and represent in international football. The only way to do this is to provide a senior football outlet in the region. Hopefully when fans get allowed back in there is a decent backing of the team. Mens and Women's.

As for the squad next year. I presume it will be local junior players only.Unlikely to be competitive next year and they could take heavy beatings from Shelbourne, Galway and Bray who are all strong. Nice to play Cork and Cobh and have some rivalries going again.

Anyone in the know on decent junior players available? Clyde O'Connell, Jason Hughes, Conor Ellis and Shane Tracey. Is Joel Coustrain available these days? Was playing with Athlone Town last I heard.

Fantastic news for all concerned. If football is to prosper in Ireland the third city needs to start producing players who can some day go on and represent in international football. The only way to do this is to provide a senior football outlet in the region. Hopefully when fans get allowed back in there is a decent backing of the team. Mens and Women's.

As for the squad next year. I presume it will be local junior players only.Unlikely to be competitive next year and they could take heavy beatings from Shelbourne, Galway and Bray who are all strong. Nice to play Cork and Cobh and have some rivalries going again.

Anyone in the know on decent junior players available? Clyde O'Connell, Jason Hughes, Conor Ellis and Shane Tracey. Is Joel Coustrain available these days? Was playing with Athlone Town last I heard.

Hopefully he's nowhere near the squad. Must be turning 30 and was sent off for assaulting a steward up in Sligo.

Joel signed for Regional.

I'd say your list is pretty close there to who will be signed.

There were a few half-decent players knocking around in the final season. Lee Devitt is a name I remember. Tomas O'Connor as well. Andrew Foley...Adam Foley?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Congrats to all. Would love to be in the away end on April 23rd, but will be in home end as soon as we’re allowed.

osarusan wrote: »
    There were a few half-decent players knocking around in the final season. Lee Devitt is a name I remember. Tomas O'Connor as well. Andrew Foley...Adam Foley?

Devitt has signed back with Cobh for this season, and don't think Adam Foley has signed with anyone since leaving Harps. O'Connor might still be with UCD.

• Advertisement

The fixture list that was up on the league website is down. Can it be found anywhere else?

Here we go:

eUO6Ton.jpg

Who knows when we'll be able to actually attend games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

According to Wikipedia Treaty United are 8th in the First Division at the moment, not bad I'd say

Owen Cowzer interview with Tommy.
    Treaty United boss Tommy Barrett is desperately trying to get his newly-formed side ready for the new season

TOMMY BARRETT has two mobile phones — and the battery ran out on both on Sunday.

The decision late on Saturday by the FAI board to admit Limerick outfit Treaty United to the SSE Airtricity First Division — with Shamrock Rovers II missing out — meant a hectic few hours talking to players.

Barrett told SunSport: “I’m busy at the best of times but the phone was never off my ear, talking to players, setting everything up.

"The deadline for signing players attached to clubs is Thursday.

“So it doesn’t give me much time to put a squad together.”

He had laid some of the groundwork in advance but there was only so much that could be done ahead of a final decision from the FAI.

Even training was out of the question due to the current Covid-19 restrictions as the allowance is for elite teams only, not elite teams in waiting.

Barrett added: “The board were confident in the last few weeks, but it was a hopeful confidence because we weren’t getting anything concrete.

"And then we couldn’t train or organise friendlies because we weren’t established.

“I had touched base with a few unattached players.

"But, again, you feel like a bit of an idiot because you’re talking, ‘If we get in, we might get in’, it’s all hypothetical.

“You have to have the conversation. But you’d hope the process will be better, that it can be done earlier to prepare for the season.

“It is unfair on Shamrock Rovers II as well.

"I thought they were good for the league, I’d have had no problem with 11 teams and having a week off every few months.”

The Treaty United boss has still hit the ground running and will get his squad together at the Limerick Institute of Technology this evening.

But, even with Limerick junior leagues off because of Covid-19 restrictions, his team will not be a Shannonside all-star side.

It is something Barrett admitted caught him a little by surprise as he thought players would be desperate to play.

But, whether it was past League of Ireland experiences or changing priorities during the pandemic, a number of players he has approached have turned him down.

He mentioned one player — someone in their mid-20s with a good LOI record — who has just been promoted in his day job and is focused on that.

There were others who were unable to say yes because of work commitments and Barrett added: “And there are players who have been in touch.

“But with a month to go to the season and the deadline, I can’t bring in players on trial for a month and see how they go.

“It’s unfair on them, they might be better than what I have but with a month to go, it’s about putting together a team that is competitive.”

Having worked in the now-defunct Limerick FC’s youth system before managing their first team, there is no one better placed to do his job.

He said: “The board, it’s a big board and they are doing things right.

“We’re not going to spend big, we’re going to do it right and build up slowly.

“It’s not something I say because of what happened Limerick in the last two years, it is based on looking at the last 30 or 40 years of the League of Ireland in Limerick.

“And even outside Limerick. Look where Cork are now when they won the league so recently, and we’ve seen it with other clubs before.”

His experience at Limerick, who suffered financial problems and ultimately went into examinership during his tenure, also did not put him off.

He added: “It was tough but I thought I handled myself well enough in it.
    “I stuck it out and showed resilience.

“Would I or should I have stuck it out? Probably not, I should have walked halfway through the second year.

“There are lessons there on how much to put up with, what’s right and what’s wrong.

"Your head is telling you it’s wrong and your heart is telling you to stay.

“You’re probably emotionally attached. And taking this job now, I’ve learnt I need to detach myself from it more.

“But football and coaching is still a huge part of my life, as is the League of Ireland.

"I wouldn’t be one of these lads hugely invested in football on Sky Sports, though I do watch it.

"I’d say I watched more LOI streams than anything last year.”

Now he gets back on the coaching field preparing a team, with the March 24 trip to Garry Cronin’s Bray Wanderers for the season opener circled in his calendar.

He said: “I cannot wait. I know Gaz as we did our Pro Licence together.

“We’ll be competitive when the day comes, that is the aim now.”

Sporting Limerick put togther a list of players based locally that are likely to be called up. Seems reasonable to me but very much lacking in experience. Tadhg Ryan would be an excellent addition in my opinion. Thought he was unlucky at Cork and Waterford to find himself behind two veteran keepers.

I wonder will Shamrock Rovers II be approached for players? They have an excellent youth set up there and will be keen to offload guys to go play senior football.

https://sportinglimerick.com/depth-chart-how-treaty-united-could-shape-up-in-their-debut-season/

Sporting Limerick put togther a list of players based locally that are likely to be called up. Seems reasonable to me but very much lacking in experience. Tadhg Ryan would be an excellent addition in my opinion. Thought he was unlucky at Cork and Waterford to find himself behind two veteran keepers.

I wonder will Shamrock Rovers II be approached for players? They have an excellent youth set up there and will be keen to offload guys to go play senior football.

https://sportinglimerick.com/depth-chart-how-treaty-united-could-shape-up-in-their-debut-season/

If we were to have our pick of every player on that list we'd be competetive for sure. But how many will actually want to play for Treaty/play LOI at all this season?

If we were to have our pick of every player on that list we'd be competetive for sure. But how many will actually want to play for Treaty/play LOI at all this season?

One potential issue with junior players could be the deadline for junior players to sign amateur forms was Jan 31st, so any junior player would have to sign pro forms now. From the Sun article it sounds like that Connor Ellis probably won't be signing.

From the Sun article it sounds like that Connor Ellis probably won't be signing.
    A pity, he's a decent player at First division level, and worked well with Red Hanlon as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I could be tempted out of retirement if they need an experienced local goalkeeper. :D

• Advertisement

A pity, he's a decent player at First division level, and worked well with Red Hanlon as well.

Now that's my guess that he's the LOI player with work commitments. Sean Russell would also be another guess but he's a coach with the women's team and not sure if he's even playing anymore or retired after his injury.

Advertisement