Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

BobMc wrote: »
    trick with the christmas grocery shop is to go after the offie is closed, and go late and I mean late, no such thing as things running out - the only thing you might find short is fresh pans of bread, was in jetland sunday night 10.20pm or so was in and out and home within the hour (this applies to non pandemic years too)

Went to Dunnes Childers Road at 11:30 last night, grand and quiet .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

AnonZen wrote: »
    Had a slot booked to shop in Dunnes Jetland last night. It was mayhem for a finish, ended up queuing for 40 minutes at the tills. The only mild amusement I experienced was the regular announcements that the off licence was shutting at 22:00, coupled with people barreling out through the offie swing doors with trolleys full of booze at 21:50.

It was also so hot in there that all the duck/goose fat on the shelves had actually rendered in the jars.

I've booked a slot for today, if you have a slot booked do you queue? I thought the idea of slits was to avoid people being on top of each other- might give it a miss if this is the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Granadino wrote: »
    Jaysus. I find it hard to have sympathy with the people in that photo if they get sick. What could possibly be so important that they'd need to risk their health and others' in a packed shopping centre? I just don't get it.

It's called Christmas shopping, you might remember it from last year when there was no Covid? Anyway, most of the exposed faces in that photo are wearing masks - I've been over there both days this week and it's actually been very quiet, the underground is nearly empty and it's nothing at all compared to normal Xmas in years gone.

One thing I will say is the "restrictions" they have in there are very lax - people just strolling along down the wrong lanes, "unicorns" strolling around without masks and clearly no reason not to be wearing one (even the patrolling Gardai in there wouldn't even say boo to them even though they clearly saw the group). The security guards also useless for it, they only seem to bark at old men carrying shopping for the wrong lane stuff and pretend not to see the rest of what's going on.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

dashoonage wrote: »
    was in petmania this morning at 9am and there was a decent queue heading into the test center at that time as well.

My second trip there in a 10 days, a case in my daughter's class so she got tested today as a close contact. Was there about 1 and it was fine, no major queues. Yesterday was very busy I hear.
    Strangely she didn't have a throat swab and a gentle enough nasal one, whereas my older lad had the works last Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

geotrig wrote: »
    Test centre in "wicks" Looked quite busy earlier and had a fine queue at it , biggest tail back of cars I've seen at it at any point when passing , no idea if staggered or grouped etc overall, if that's any indicator it could be a high few weeks numbers wise.

How busy? They have 8 bays in that centre open at the moment and they let the cars in 4 at a time so it could easily look busy from one booking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I've seen 2 cars with English registrations on them in the last 7 days, down from about 50 across the same period last year, would suggest many of the British relatives (across all walks of life) are staying at home

Come for a spin with me and i'll show you 222 in 7 minutes...!!!
    Bring you mask or better still a Hazmat suit.....;)

LuasSimon wrote: »
    How many of that 30,000 are based in Rathkeale now? not to mention France, Germany, Italy etc

It's 'only' 3000 not 30000. that was a misprint by the poster.
    30,000 is more than the capacity of Thomond Park FFS.

Just seen a picture of the crescent and it's a disgrace, honestly now if the virus isn't rampant in 2 to 3 weeks time I'd be shocked. Guards need to be called and the place shut down

What's the problem.??
    Did'nt the experts reassure everyone that masks prevent the spread of the virus. So wear your mask.wash your hands with soapy water and use sanitiser and stay 2 metres apart where possible and you can go where you please.
    The words of the 'experts' not just mine....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

It's called Christmas shopping, you might remember it from last year when there was no Covid? Anyway, most of the exposed faces in that photo are wearing masks - I've been over there both days this week and it's actually been very quiet, the underground is nearly empty and it's nothing at all compared to normal Xmas in years gone.

One thing I will say is the "restrictions" they have in there are very lax - people just strolling along down the wrong lanes, "unicorns" strolling around without masks and clearly no reason not to be wearing one (even the patrolling Gardai in there wouldn't even say boo to them even though they clearly saw the group). The security guards also useless for it, they only seem to bark at old men carrying shopping for the wrong lane stuff and pretend not to see the rest of what's going on.

Fair enough, though the horrible consumerism that comes with Christmas never sat easy with me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Zero outbreaks linked to pubs over the last three weeks, so the people over celebrating the All Ireland Final in pubs isn't a reason for the recent increase in the county, as some had suggested.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1341837484871790593?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

Zero outbreaks linked to pubs over the last three weeks, so the people over celebrating the All Ireland Final in pubs isn't a reason for the recent increase in the county, as some had suggested.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1341837484871790593?s=19

I would take some of this with a pinch of salt, i am friends with a contact tracer and getting accurate information from some people infected is very difficult. Lots of them dont admit to where they have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

A certain pub on Clancy strand has closed tonight because one of the staff(not on duty) has received a positive result.
    I believe the person in question hasn't been there for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Do the gardai have the power to shut a business down for not wearing masks? Have seen a busy in the city on 3 separate occasions with no member of staff wearing masks. It's a new enough business too and you can see right in their window at the people working with no masks on.

They are going to be shut from 3 tomorrow for level 5 anyway but when open aren't complying whatsoever. Can the gardai just ask them to wear masks or can they take it further?

Jofspring wrote: »
    Do the gardai have the power to shut a business down for not wearing masks? Have seen a busy in the city on 3 separate occasions with no member of staff wearing masks. It's a new enough business too and you can see right in their window at the people working with no masks on.

They are going to be shut from 3 tomorrow for level 5 anyway but when open aren't complying whatsoever. Can the gardai just ask them to wear masks or can they take it further?

The don't always have to wear masks.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html#
    Staff in sit-in restaurants or cafes must wear a face covering unless they are separated by a screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The don't always have to wear masks.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html#
    Staff in sit-in restaurants or cafes must wear a face covering unless they are separated by a screen.

It's a barbers so would have thought they had to going by that. No partions either.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

the42.ie reporting that Munster v Leinster (Thomond Park on Stephens Day) is off due to some positive covid tests.

https://www.the42.ie/leinster-munster-covid-postponed-5310401-Dec2020/

the42.ie reporting that Munster v Leinster (Thomond Park on Stephens Day) is off due to some positive covid tests.

https://www.the42.ie/leinster-munster-covid-postponed-5310401-Dec2020/

Possible outbreak in the Leinster squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Rathkeale-Adare is the 8th highest Covid rate out of the 166 Council areas in Republic of Ireland with a 14 day rate of 353.7 .
    Adjoining areas of County Limerick are also starting to rise in recent days.

Lots of details on https://covid-19.geohive.ie/

• Advertisement

Rathkeale-Adare is the 8th highest Covid rate out of the 166 Council areas in Republic of Ireland with a 14 day rate of 353.7 .
    Adjoining areas of County Limerick are also starting to rise in recent days.

Lots of details on https://covid-19.geohive.ie/

Doesn't really matter what part of Limerick is the highest, a lot of the Limerick city & county population have been mixing in overcrowded shopping centres/supermarkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Doesn't really matter what part of Limerick is the highest, a lot of the Limerick city & county population have been mixing in overcrowded shopping centres/supermarkets.

It does matter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

14-day incidence rate of Covid-19 in Limerick by district per 100,000.

Red circle Adare-Rathkeale — 353.7 (98 cases)
    Red circle Newcastle West — 266.3 (73)
    Red circle City East — 260.3 (92)
    Blue circle Ireland — 138.2
    Red circle City North — 109.5 (38)
    Red circle City West — 106 (37)
    Red circle Cappamore-Kilmallock — 74.7 (26)

FutureGuy wrote: »
    14-day incidence rate of Covid-19 in Limerick by district per 100,000.

Red circle Adare-Rathkeale — 353.7 (98 cases)
    Red circle Newcastle West — 266.3 (73)
    Red circle City East — 260.3 (92)
    Blue circle Ireland — 138.2
    Red circle City North — 109.5 (38)
    Red circle City West — 106 (37)
    Red circle Cappamore-Kilmallock — 74.7 (26)

As of the 21st of December, might as well be giving us the figures from march this virus spreads so fast

As of the 21st of December, might as well be giving us the figures from march this virus spreads so fast
    Well thats the only county breakdown available. And it was posted on the 25th when we only had daily figures up to the 24th, so it wasn't really that much out of date when posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Where would I get a map of what areas of the city are included in each section listed above?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/your-council/voting-and-elections/maps

The Local Electoral Areas rather than Dail areas. I seem to remember looking at them before and the resolution not being great but only place I can think to look at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/598310/minister-calls-for-garda-covid-clampdown-in-limerick-town.html

Whats going on in this town has caused a huge spike in West Limerick. An area abandoned by the state and Gardai.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/598310/minister-calls-for-garda-covid-clampdown-in-limerick-town.html

Whats going on in this town has caused a huge spike in West Limerick. An area abandoned by the state and Gardai.

There are many many similar parties going on all over the country and not just there.

Overheard in the local shop the other day - the ferry was only taking lorry's so we got a ferry to Belfast and drove down... Was there really any point in what the govt did?

• Advertisement

Where's the personal responsibility these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

FutureGuy wrote: »
    There are many many similar parties going on all over the country and not just there.

Large well known pub in middle class Adare - All staff are down with the virus.
    They were not strict about social distancing nor the 9 euro food requirement unlike the other pubs there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pavee point have finally acknowledged the issues with the annual Rathkeale influx and the danger it presents towards Covid infection rates.

It is very much bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted however IMO.
    The interview/Press announcement really needed to be driven home by community leaders in the weeks before Christmas.
    Before large numbers had travelled, not as an "oh well" after Christmas.

Travellers returning from Britain put Rathkeale at risk – Pavee Point (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/travellers-returning-from-britain-put-rathkeale-at-risk-pavee-point-1.4446538

banie01 wrote: »

So fairly in-line with our countries response to the pandemic then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,080 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pavee point have finally acknowledged the issues with the annual Rathkeale influx and the danger it presents towards Covid infection rates.

The interview/Press announcement really needed to be driven home by community leaders in the weeks before Christmas.
    Before large numbers had travelled, not as an "oh well" after Christmas.

Travellers returning from Britain put Rathkeale at risk – Pavee Point (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/travellers-returning-from-britain-put-rathkeale-at-risk-pavee-point-1.4446538

They were out advising people not to travel before Christmas

breezy1985 wrote: »
    They were out advising people not to travel before Christmas

Not doubting this, but could you link to the Pavee Point press release for that?

Not doubting this, but could you link to the Pavee Point press release for that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/travellers-asked-not-to-return-home-for-christmas-39824760.html

Found this within 30 seconds of googling.
    They also have a video on their Facebook about Covid hygiene and not have large gatherings or parties. It's pretty much the same stuff we all got told but done by and aimed at travellers

Brilliant, thanks for that, it's not what I asked for though. (Pedantic, I know)
    That's the independent carrying an appeal from a Pavee Point member backing a government appeal.
    It's not a direct appeal from Pavee Point, nor does such an appeal seem to be anywhere on their media channels.

It isn't a direct appeal from Pavee Point, it isn't on their Twitter timeline, it isn't on their insta nor given the importance of social distancing and travel restrictions.
    Is it on their homepage, now granted I'm on mobile at the mo and may have missed it?
    There is a "happy "to stay at home this" Christmas" banner, but it's not linking to any other stay put info I can find.

The Pavee Point Twitter in particular is very active. Great resource for sharing their achievements and aims.

There is no immediately apparent appeal to stay put.
    No reinforcement of such an appeal on the media channels I've looked through.

Where are the direct appeals from Pavee Point to their constituents, to stay put?

Brilliant, thanks for that, it's not what I asked for though. (Pedantic, I know)
    That's the independent carrying an appeal from a Pavee Point member backing a government appeal.
    It's not a direct appeal from Pavee Point, nor does such an appeal seem to be anywhere on their media channels.

It isn't a direct appeal from Pavee Point, it isn't on their Twitter timeline, it isn't on their insta nor given the importance of social distancing and travel restrictions.
    Is it on their homepage, now granted I'm on mobile at the mo and may have missed it?
    There is a "happy "to stay at home this" Christmas" banner, but it's not linking to any other stay put info I can find.

The Pavee Point Twitter in particular is very active. Great resource for sharing their achievements and aims.

There is no immediately apparent appeal to stay put.
    No reinforcement of such an appeal on the media channels I've looked through.

Where are the direct appeals from Pavee Point to their constituents, to stay put?

https://vimeo.com/443382461

Here is just one video I found after 3 clicks on their website. It is in a special Covid section which takes one click.

But I get the feeling no matter how many links get put up it won't be enough. Travellers have all the same access to the government advise as the rest of us and the travellers that are breaking the rules I think for once at least Pavee Point are not to blame for what they are doing

• Advertisement

https://vimeo.com/443382461

Here is just one video I found after 3 clicks on their website. It is in a special Covid section which takes one click.

But I get the feeling no matter how many links get put up it won't be enough. Travellers have all the same access to the government advise as the rest of us and the travellers that are breaking the rules I think for once at least Pavee Point are not to blame for what they are doing

Thanks again.
    As I said in the post you quoted, on mobile so forgive me if I missed a link off their page.

100% agree that the traveller community have the same access to Government advice as every other community, particularly amongst the diaspora.
    Of particular note with traveller community however should be how they access that information, and how they follow local news.

Since early November the Government messaging has been to not travel home for Christmas.
    I think as early as the 3/11 Varadkar was promulgating that message with the Government following.

All of the main Diaspora orgs overseas have grudgingly followed along with that message.

Pavee Point is the primary voice for traveller affairs in Ireland and is active amongst many of the European Diaspora.
    Their taking in board that message and reinforcing it is vital. The are a direct channel to their community and their advocacy has done lots of good for them, it's a 2 way street though, with that voice comes a responsibility to ensure effective public safety messaging.

There is precious little of that readily available via their platforms.

I'm not seeking to blame Pavee Point for facilitating rule breaking.
    At worst, ineffective communication and being too late to highlight their immediate opposition to the usual Christmas are the faults I would highlight.

For any community with a large diaspora, their representatives in Ireland be they family, friends or advocacy group carry a responsibility to keep those abroad well informed.
    Pavee Point have IMO at least, dropped the ball on that.
    I hold no animus towards them for the behaviour of those who came home.
    Traveller or settled, there are plenty of idiots enough to go around ;)
    Unfortunately:(

Thanks again.
    As I said in the post you quoted, on mobile so forgive me if I missed a link off their page.

100% agree that the traveller community have the same access to Government advice as every other community, particularly amongst the diaspora.
    Of particular note with traveller community however should be how they access that information, and how they follow local news.

Since early November the Government messaging has been to not travel home for Christmas.
    I think as early as the 3/11 Varadkar was promulgating that message with the Government following.

All of the main Diaspora orgs overseas have grudgingly followed along with that message.

Pavee Point is the primary voice for traveller affairs in Ireland and is active amongst many of the European Diaspora.
    Their taking in board that message and reinforcing it is vital. The are a direct channel to their community and their advocacy has done lots of good for them, it's a 2 way street though, with that voice comes a responsibility to ensure effective public safety messaging.

There is precious little of that readily available via their platforms.

I'm not seeking to blame Pavee Point for facilitating rule breaking.
    At worst, ineffective communication and being too late to highlight their immediate opposition to the usual Christmas are the faults I would highlight.

For any community with a large diaspora, their representatives in Ireland be they family, friends or advocacy group carry a responsibility to keep those abroad well informed.
    Pavee Point have IMO at least, dropped the ball on that.
    I hold no animus towards them for the behaviour of those who came home.
    Traveller or settled, there are plenty of idiots enough to go around ;)
    Unfortunately:(

I believe practically every traveller that came home knew the advice and ignored it. So logically if I believe they all knew the advice then I cannot also believe that there was not enough roll out of the advice.

If you believe travellers came home because they did not know the advice then fair enough I can see how you could find fault with the advice bodies and advocacy groups

I believe practically every traveller that came home knew the advice and ignored it. So logically if I believe they all knew the advice then I cannot also believe that there was not enough roll out of the advice.

If you believe travellers came home because they did not know the advice then fair enough I can see how you could find fault with the advice bodies and advocacy groups

That's a fair assessment tbh.

I'd caveat my own opinion largely on access to news, local resources and having that messaging being reinforced by trusted people/bodies.

The messaging to particular groups is very dependent upon the "channel".
    On that point, if Pavee Point are to be held out as a trusted channel for Travellers?
    I really believe they've dropped the ball on this, but enough of my opinion of broken messaging and poor PR.

Here's hoping that come today's numbers the impact of people who've travelled home, settled and traveller.
    Is far less than the hospitalisation numbers would seem to imply.

Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can bring a horse to water but you cannot make them drink it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

You have been warned already,travellers are an ethnic group and labeling a full ethnic group could be considered racist so please stop, if you don't think some of the posts are racist replace traveller with Asian/Black/Indian/Polish/etc and read them again. Its fine to discuss the topic but if you choose to do so you have to obey by the rules so statements like "all of them" will result in bans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Just drove past the testing area on the Ballysimon Road. I've never seen it so full. Lines of cars stretching around the car park...

• Advertisement

The problem here is people were allowed to travel. Close the airports and ports etc. That is the only way or maybe was the only way. You'll always get idiots who will travel. Don't give them the option.

Just over 2 weeks since All Ireland win, will there be a surge in cases from house parties and packed food serving pubs after the win, hope not but probably.

Still a few people wandering around shops with no face masks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Just drove past the testing area on the Ballysimon Road. I've never seen it so full. Lines of cars stretching around the car park...

Has been like that the last few nights. Drive past there most nights around 7 and on Saturday, Sunday and Monday the queues were long and got longer each each night.

I know of a case in a secondary school that was notified to the school on the 23rd.
    Parents were informed that evening and close contacts were invited to testing.

To date (just informed today) 3 of the close contacts have tested positive, 16/17 y.o boys many of whom are heavily involved in local sports clubs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Drove past at 5.30pm. Scary stuff. Might have to carshare soon to fit into the carpark.

• Advertisement
Advertisement