Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a Move to Edinburgh & Questions Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Where is your friend? Dublin certainly isn't cheaper than Edinburgh.

Yer right there but Dublin isn't the whole of Ireland either! Wesht of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

Battleflag wrote: »

Dublin now is just impossible and is the reason why I'm moving. It is an overrated capital city that is so poorly managed in terms of basic requirements like transport and housing, that it has enabled greed to happen on an eye watering scale. You have zero security of tenure if you are sharing with an owner occupier and they will move you out if they think they can get another 200-300 Euro a month in rent off someone else, it has actually gone insane in Dublin now, the stories I am hearing are just so incredibly unfair and plain wrong, the way people seeking accommodation are being treated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Battleflag wrote: »

Ah yeah, but you can't compare the wesht with Edinburgh! You might as well say you can get somewhere in Timbuktu cheaper than rural Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Divelment wrote: »
    Dublin now is just impossible and is the reason why I'm moving. It is an overrated capital city that is so poorly managed in terms of basic requirements like transport and housing, that it has enabled greed to happen on an eye watering scale. You have zero security of tenure if you are sharing with an owner occupier and they will move you out if they think they can get another 200-300 Euro a month in rent off someone else, it has actually gone insane in Dublin now, the stories I am hearing are just so incredibly unfair and plain wrong, the way people seeking accommodation are being treated.

No need to tell me, I'm a mod of Accommodation and Property!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

No need to tell me, I'm a mod of Accommodation and Property!

That's the only reason why I'm relocating to Edinburgh, am so unbelievably done with the headfúck that is now life in Dublin. We seem to be incapable of doing anything right in this country. I know every city has it's own particular challenges but Dublin is no longer worth the hassle. Yes Council Tax in Edinburgh is much higher but it just seems like a much "fairer" place to live at the moment I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Hi all,

I'm moving from Dublin to Edinburgh in mid September for a job offer and was just looking for general info on moving.

My work will be based in Leith and have heard mixed things about the area. When looking for an apartment would anyone have suggestions of areas I should check out?

In relation to general setting up such as getting a bank account, a national insurance number and registering with the NHS is the process usually long to have get these things sorted or is the process rather painless?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

My work will be based in Leith and have heard mixed things about the area. When looking for an apartment would anyone have suggestions of areas I should check out?
    Edinburgh is quite a small city, tiny compared to Dublin and the public transport (Lothian Buses) is on a different planet compared to Dublin. You can reach Leith within 80 minutes from almost anywhere else within the city bypass, so there's not much point in limiting yourself to that area alone. Leith is fine, there's a few dodgy spots, as with most cities, but on the whole it's alright.
    If you're planning on driving it's a different story however; I've heard Leith is a nighmare in that regards.

The rental market is quite rapid, probably a bit similar to Dublin. Apartments get snatched up very quickly and as you're planning on moving in September I'd imagine you having quite a hard time as you'll be in competition with a lot of the students returning.
    There's a few Facebook groups about flat/housing/shares etc. Give them a look,you might find them handy.
    In relation to general setting up such as getting a bank account, a national insurance number and registering with the NHS is the process usually long to have get these things sorted or is the process rather painless?

Banks: it depends, normally you'll have to have a permanent address here before a bank will open an account for you, maybe your new emploer will help?
    You may be up against it with all the new students looking to register accounts, they may be dealt with seperately.
    In any case I'd highly recommend the likes of Revolut or Monzo, you'll be limited with the amount you can withdraw from ATMs but it was a massive help when I moved over.

As with the NHS you won't be able to register unless you have an address as it's done via a 'cactchment area', and there's usually a limit on the amount of people they can register per week. These used to be limited to one day per week and only on certain timeslots, but I don't think that's the case anymore.
    You should be able to avail of an emergency GP if you need one, and you'll also be able to use the minor injuries or A&E units in the hospital (which will most likely be the Western General) if you need it in the meantime. NHS

And for National Insurance Number, all the details are https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Hi all,

I'm moving from Dublin to Edinburgh in mid September for a job offer and was just looking for general info on moving.

Thanks!

Leith has changed a lot in the last decade. Theres two Michelin star chefs with restaurants and that whole area is quite nice now property prices have jumped as a result too. You can see the changes creeping up Leith Walk everytime one of the old guard closes something new and fancy looking opens. As mentioned above getting to Leith is pretty straight forward. If you're planning on driving then worth looking east of the city. I'm in East Lothian and its rarely more than 30 minutes drive to Leith and when its quiet takes about 20 minutes by car. If you prefer not to live too close to work but still be able to get in handy enough then Portobello is a really nice spot. Compared to Dublin theres not many areas to be avoided to be honest. Where we live is meant to be "rough" but it's a long way from Dublin rough!

As mentioned above getting sorted for NHS etc isnt too tricky. I'm from the UK but it was all pretty straight forward for my wife to get set up and generally people are happy to help and you will have emergency care if needed anyway. I would register with a GP as soon as you're settled as it can be a bit of a pain to find an place lots dont take any new registrations I had to register a couple of towns over because they're all just too busy.

Advertisement