Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a Move to Edinburgh & Questions Thread

Options
  • 21-02-2017 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys,

I've browsed a good few posts on this topic but I thought I'd post one for some feedback!

I've been to Edinburgh four times in the past two years and I seem to fall in love with the place a bit more each time. I'm currently living at home in Waterford which is grand, but with my current job finishing up before the summer, I'm thinking a move would be good. So Edinburgh is the first place I've had in mind for a while.

The plan is to move over with my boyfriend. We'd hopefully have some work lined up before hand but if not we'll have some savings to keep us afloat. I've been looking at 1 bedroom places around Dalry and Gorgie since a friend suggested that's a decent area. Rent prices seem affordable but I've heard Council Tax can be quite expensive? All the listings I've seen are Band B. I'm not really sure how to figure out how much that might be so any help would be appreciated.

I'm free to move from the end of June but my boyfriend won't be free until early August. I know Fringe is on and that probably makes looking for places very difficult (plus students looking for college). Would it make more sense for me to go by myself first or wait until after summer?

If anyone has any more advice or feedback based on this, please shout. I'm very keen on this idea but don't want to jump into it without researching it all properly. Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Council Tax is changing in April this year.
    Band B is £1271 for the year, you generally break that down in 10 or 11 monthly payments I think.

Regarding the time to move, I found a place in August (not all landlords will be looking for Festival lets, some will avoid it) when I moved 8 years ago. If you could get over yourself in June and flatshare for a few months that would allow you to scope out a few areas. I've lived in Dalry, it's grand, never had any hassle, few dodgy streets but that's the same as everywhere. Not a huge fan of Gorgie (which is right next to Dalry) but that's just because I always find it dark and dull weirdly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sean_ius

Ah that makes sense, thanks! So that isn't too bad between two people really. That sounds like a good idea, I might look into that. Thanks for your advice!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd say wait until after August - it seems to be quite common for rents to be nudged up in the July-August period because of the relative scarcity of available properties.

I haven't lived in Gorgie or Dalry but head over to Fountainpark regularly to hit the cineworld and hit a meetup that usually picks a venue round there. It seems a decent enough spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Council tax isn't so bad ours works out at £173/month. Just getting round can be a bit of a nightmare in August and it's the 70th anniversary festival this year so there's an extra push behind it so will probably even busier than last year. There's not as many 11 month lets as there used to be but some landlords still do it just because you can get a month's rent for a week but there's lots of nice places so you should be able to find something suitable no matter when you go looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I moved over in the last year and, to be honest, I found it ridiculous trying to find a place. I came over in August thinking it wouldn't be as difficult as it was to find a flat. I only managed to get one in December!

I was staying in a place out near Restalrig I found on Spareroom for 3 months!

I've heard from different sources that this year people were finding it particularly difficult to find a place to rent, which I can personally agree with.

One thing to consider is the whole rental thing is somewhat different to what I was used to back home. You have to call the letting agent to organise a viewing (which can change at short notice- a pain in the ass if you're not staying here), then you have to apply to rent it (usually with several other applicants, usually with a holding fee), then the landlord gets to pick who they want.

It's illegeal for letting agents to charge fees to tennants or prospective tennants. The holding fee is just to make sure your application is genuine and is refunded if you're not successful and usually paid against a deposit if you are. But it makes applying for multiple flats at the same time impossible as it seems that if you're the one that pulls out of the agreement you loose it.

Another thing is if you don't have a UK guarantor you'll more than likely have to cough up the 6 months rent and deposit in one go (Which I had to) they normally do a credit check for UK residents, but can't (or don't bother) if you're not. Something to do with you being legally contracted to leasing the flat for 6 months.

I'm currently living around the spot where Dalry and Gorgie overlap, and find it a really nice spot. There's 6 bus routes right next to me and 2 night buses (something I didn't realise would be so important to me :pac: )

Someone did this great write-up of the whole ordeal procedure on Reddit

Best bit of advice is to take your time and get somewhere you like, because there are a serious amount of sh1te flats here. I had a little ledger of all the flats I applied to; 53 viewings organised; 26 viewed; only 3 that I found "up to my standard" (applied to 10, only one accepted)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Another thing that seems to be more common around festival time is landlords/agents seeking a 12 month contract with no break clause, rather than the more common 6 month contract or 12-month-with-6-month-break-clause option that's generally used in England.

On a different note, if you're moving with a pet I've found that usually an extra week's rent on the deposit seems to satisfy concerns about potential damage. Odds are good you'll need to have any carpets or fixed furnishings cleaned when you move out if you have a cat or dog - check with the agent, some will be ok with you doing this yourself but others will request proof that it has been done professionally.

On the topic of inventories and so on - I've had agents try to claim that we would be responsible for cleaning the outside of first and second floor windows (with the implication being that we were expected to pay to have it done, since they were clearly inaccessible from within the flat). I managed to talk them round by politely explaining the situation and having the flat otherwise as expected (including moving the couch back from one side of the room to the other, because they were picky about it...). As per that reddit guide, it's vital to photographically document the state of the flat when you move in *and get the agent or landlord to agree that your photos are a true and accurate reflection of the property at that time*. This will save you time and hassle when you move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Fysh wrote: »
    On a different note, if you're moving with a pet I've found that usually an extra week's rent on the deposit seems to satisfy concerns about potential damage. Odds are good you'll need to have any carpets or fixed furnishings cleaned when you move out if you have a cat or dog - check with the agent, some will be ok with you doing this yourself but others will request proof that it has been done professionally.

I couldn't find a single place that would accept pets, my current flat included. I even suggested that I would provide payment for it to be professionally cleaned.

Is it now 6 months without a guarantor? Bloody hell, it was 3 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Moved to Scotland last August to take advantage of the free education and saw some awful apartments! I saw some places via letting agents and wasn't dealing with the fuss so ended up finding a lovely 1 bed place on gumtree and it worked out perfect.

So do look around and check everywhere.

I Airbnb'd for just over a week and set up lots of viewings for that week but i was looking well in advance for places and scoping out the areas

No council tax since I'm a student but I think it's £120 a month or something. I'll have to pay in summer when college is out so they keep on top of it. Add that into the cost of rent + lots of places I saw was pay as you go gas/elec which I was sceptical at first but is fine. Landlord pays for the wifi and it's a little cheaper to live than Dublin - for me at least

Happy enough here too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I moved over in the last year and, to be honest, I found it ridiculous trying to find a place. I came over in August thinking it wouldn't be as difficult as it was to find a flat. I only managed to get one in December!

I was staying in a place out near Restalrig I found on Spareroom for 3 months!

I've heard from different sources that this year people were finding it particularly difficult to find a place to rent, which I can personally agree with.

One thing to consider is the whole rental thing is somewhat different to what I was used to back home. You have to call the letting agent to organise a viewing (which can change at short notice- a pain in the ass if you're not staying here), then you have to apply to rent it (usually with several other applicants, usually with a holding fee), then the landlord gets to pick who they want.

It's illegeal for letting agents to charge fees to tennants or prospective tennants. The holding fee is just to make sure your application is genuine and is refunded if you're not successful and usually paid against a deposit if you are. But it makes applying for multiple flats at the same time impossible as it seems that if you're the one that pulls out of the agreement you loose it.

Another thing is if you don't have a UK guarantor you'll more than likely have to cough up the 6 months rent and deposit in one go (Which I had to) they normally do a credit check for UK residents, but can't (or don't bother) if you're not. Something to do with you being legally contracted to leasing the flat for 6 months.

I'm currently living around the spot where Dalry and Gorgie overlap, and find it a really nice spot. There's 6 bus routes right next to me and 2 night buses (something I didn't realise would be so important to me :pac: )

Best bit of advice is to take your time and get somewhere you like, because there are a serious amount of sh1te flats here. I had a little ledger of all the flats I applied to; 53 viewings organised; 26 viewed; only 3 that I found "up to my standard" (applied to 10, only one accepted)

The main thing I'd disagree with on that Reddit thread is not going to a flat without pictures. Where I'm currently living had no photos and turned out to be great!

• Advertisement

Just to add, this was also where I lived and I loved it. Ardmillan Place to be exact, seems to have flats to rent a few times a year. The only thing I complained about was the lack of a local (that wasn't a Hearts pub), the day we moved out we walked around the corner and saw The Caley Sample Rooms. We'd never gone that way before!

EDIT from the Reddit page - this is a gem of a reference guide.
    http://vis.oobrien.com/booth/?zoom=12&lat=55.94&lon=-3.21&layers=B000FFTT

razorblunt wrote: »
    Is it now 6 months without a guarantor? Bloody hell, it was 3 for me

Was 6 months for us 5 or 6 years ago was some pain wasn't expecting it! That was back when the agents fees were getting crazy too I remember seeing once place where it was £200 f that!

The main thing I'd disagree with on that Reddit thread is not going to a flat without pictures. Where I'm currently living had no photos and turned out to be great!

While not every place without pictures is going to be a dive most of the time there is a reason. We went to see a couple with no pictures they were shocking bad never bothered doing it again. If someone can't be bothered to post a few pictures for their place I'm not going to be bothered to have to actually go there to decide if I want to pay them to live there.

Anyone reckon this thread should be bookmarked on the forum? The moving to Edinburgh question comes up a lot (more so than Glasgow, sorry my west coast friends...).

Anyone reckon this thread should be bookmarked on the forum? The moving to Edinburgh question comes up a lot (more so than Glasgow, sorry my west coast friends...).

Definitely. Or even if there was just a general Edinburgh chat thread so that all random Edinburgh questions go there. We couldn't get a forum by dammit we can get a general thread going!

Good points, we definitely need something alright. I can only give factually dubious info so many times!

Point taken folks, I'll sticky this when I get on non-mobile access. A chat thread would be a fine idea as well :)

Fysh wrote: »
    Point taken folks, I'll sticky this when I get on non-mobile access. A chat thread would be a fine idea as well :)

Do we just start a thread called Edinburgh chat or does it need to get set ups by a mod?

jimmii wrote: »
    Do we just start a thread called Edinburgh chat or does it need to get set ups by a mod?

Just start one, that'll probably give it a better chance of catching on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sean_ius

Hey guys,

Sorry for not replying for so long. I'd like to thank everyone who helped, the replies have been great. That Reddit thread is especially helpful. We're still planning on moving over but life got in the way the past few months so we're only getting around to properly looking at stuff now. Not ideal but sure.

Just a quick question. I've seen the whole thing with needing a guarantor. I'm sure we'll need one if we don't have jobs sorted when looking for a place (hopefully won't be the case but still). And I'm assuming they won't take an Irish credit score into account. So is it still 6 months and a deposit up front from most letting agencies do you think?

Again, thanks for all the help and apologies for not replying!

• Advertisement

Yeh 6 is standard but lately there has been a move to curb tennant upfront costs from the government so not sure how widespread it still is.

Sean_ius wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Sorry for not replying for so long. I'd like to thank everyone who helped, the replies have been great. That Reddit thread is especially helpful. We're still planning on moving over but life got in the way the past few months so we're only getting around to properly looking at stuff now. Not ideal but sure.

Just a quick question. I've seen the whole thing with needing a guarantor. I'm sure we'll need one if we don't have jobs sorted when looking for a place (hopefully won't be the case but still). And I'm assuming they won't take an Irish credit score into account. So is it still 6 months and a deposit up front from most letting agencies do you think?

Again, thanks for all the help and apologies for not replying!

Yeah to the best of my knowledge credit scores outside of Scotland won't count. It may be useful to consider renting a room as part of a wider houseshare for the first year or so to allow you to build up a credit score. Obviously this may not be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

Hope it's ok to ressurect this thread as I searched for "moving to Edinburgh" and this thread is the most recent thread on moving there!

Finally had enough of Ireland (Irish born & bred), the unimaginable clusterfúck that is the Irish housing crisis, the lack of ability of this country to get its basic sh*t together for its citizens in terms of governance, feel like I have lost 10 years of my life to this country and its almost unfathomable inability to sort out the most basic of human needs such as housing, healthcare, etc.

Sat down and had a think about what I might do next and Edinburgh is where my head is at. I'm a single professional, no kids, 39, adaptable and just dying to try living somewhere else now because this country right now appears to be completely fúcked in terms of the housing & rent crisis.

Just wonder has anyone else left Ireland and gone to Edinburgh for this reason (lack of housing), and did they find having a basic thing like a roof over your head, somehow achievable in terms of the move?

I love Edinburgh it's such a great city. Buying in the UK is way way easier but Edinburgh is still one of the most competitive markets over here so it's certainly not cheap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I love Edinburgh it's such a great city. Buying in the UK is way way easier but Edinburgh is still one of the most competitive markets over here so it's certainly not cheap.

I've been looking at buying and I've been renting the last 5 years in Edinburgh. You're right about the prices, they're only marginally behind Dublin and supply is about the same, just as restricted.

I haven't been too serious about looking yet, but I'm seeing things like a property for sale advertised end of last week, closing date for applications tomorrow. I think property at the lower to medium end is shifting fast.

Edit: does anyone know how much property generally goes for above the 'offers over' price?

I've been looking at buying and I've been renting the last 5 years in Edinburgh. You're right about the prices, they're only marginally behind Dublin and supply is about the same, just as restricted.

I haven't been too serious about looking yet, but I'm seeing things like a property for sale advertised end of last week, closing date for applications tomorrow. I think property at the lower to medium end is shifting fast.

Edit: does anyone know how much property generally goes for above the 'offers over' price?

The biggest difference I found was how quickly things are dealt with here! We went from viewing to offer accepted in think it was 3 emails over around an hour or so! I also like how in Scotland when you have a move date there is no messing around if the previous owner wants to stay past that they have to pay you!

Seen a few stats in The Times not so long ago. Average selling time in Edinburgh is a ridiculous 15 days and the average completion price was ~10% more than the offers over figure but it really depends on what the OO number is relative to the home report as obviously most lenders will only give you up to that figure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The biggest difference I found was how quickly things are dealt with here! We went from viewing to offer accepted in think it was 3 emails over around an hour or so! I also like how in Scotland when you have a move date there is no messing around if the previous owner wants to stay past that they have to pay you!

Seen a few stats in The Times not so long ago. Average selling time in Edinburgh is a ridiculous 15 days and the average completion price was ~10% more than the offers over figure but it really depends on what the OO number is relative to the home report as obviously most lenders will only give you up to that figure.

I have a fairly large deposit (about 40% of the price range I'm looking at) so I don't think the mortgage would be the issue. The one I mentioned before had offers over at ~5% below the home report value, so will probably go for at least 10% over that.

I have a fairly large deposit (about 40% of the price range I'm looking at) so I don't think the mortgage would be the issue. The one I mentioned before had offers over at ~5% below the home report value, so will probably go for at least 10% over that.

That seems to be about the norm for Edinburgh alright listed for a little under and goes for a little over. Prices here are flying up so quickly at the lower end of the market some places are getting mid teens increases in the last year. We live east of Edinburgh the amount of building going on the whole way down the train line is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

A friend of mine was advertising a room in his shared house (not flat!) for about a third of what I pay in rent & council tax. Forgot how cheap back home is in comparison to Edinburgh but the standard of living here makes up for it

• Advertisement

Battleflag wrote: »
    A friend of mine was advertising a room in his shared house (not flat!) for about a third of what I pay in rent & council tax. Forgot how cheap back home is in comparison to Edinburgh but the standard of living here makes up for it

Where is your friend? Dublin certainly isn't cheaper than Edinburgh.

Advertisement