Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just don't get...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

American cars with wooden panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

American cars with wooden panels.

A hangover from "woody" wagons, never all that popular a body style in Europe apart from the Morris Minor Traveller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Mightn't get the bullcrap title, but I get why they might want to sign up...

At least until they find out it's just spiritual..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

A hangover from "woody" wagons, never all that popular a body style in Europe apart from the Morris Minor Traveller.

There was a Mini version too

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

People who poo after their morning breakfast and coffee, you run the risk of stalagmiting. Take a poo first thing and whack another handy one out after breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Despite the attempts to persuade me by pretty much anybody I know, I don't get the point in Revolout. If you owe me money give me cash, why should I get an app to make life easier for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There has to be an app for everything now especially anything to do with fintech,
    Giving cash to someone in person is not cool , someone wearing a jacket may be going to work and finishing at 8 or 10pm when it might be slightly cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Fils wrote: »
    People who poo after their morning breakfast and coffee, you run the risk of stalagmiting. Take a poo first thing and whack another handy one out after breakfast.

Stalagmite or stalactite?

Young people still watch friends on Netflix it's still funny,
    Joe handsome but stupid,
    Phoebe is funny and quirky,
    Chandler is sarcastic and witty
    They are all skilled actors
    Joey looks like an Irish da now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Despite the attempts to persuade me by pretty much anybody I know, I don't get the point in Revolout. If you owe me money give me cash, why should I get an app to make life easier for you?

To be honest, up until recently I would have agreed. However, post-covid I'd much prefer a bank transfer than cash handed back. But I won't demand someone get Revolut or something, a normal one will do me, I can wait.

Stalagmite or stalactite?
    Stalagshíte?

To be honest, up until recently I would have agreed. However, post-covid I'd much prefer a bank transfer than cash handed back. But I won't demand someone get Revolut or something, a normal one will do me, I can wait.

I also can't fathom people who use card instead of cash. Takes twice, thrice as long to make payment, can take days to show on your bank balance, and is a pain in the hole to get a refund for a card payment. Worst is people who insist on using them when you're out then hit you up for a lend because the pub's machine is broke, or you have to cover their taxi because the driver quite correctly refuses to have a card machine.

Frankly I actually don't respect people who no longer use cash. Tap and go is a comically bad "innovation",

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I also can't fathom people who use card instead of cash. Takes twice, thrice as long to make payment

Contactless is much faster without having to carry your change. I use to prefer cash but once you get use to card its hard to go back

Greyfox wrote: »
    Contactless is much faster without having to carry your change. I use to prefer cash but once you get use to card its hard to go back

It really isn't.

Like, it really, really isn't.

Getting a few bits in Tesco I normally have the exact amount in my hand while in the queue. Gone before the receipt can be printed.

Tap and go easily takes five times longer, it's an appalling archaic system for people who have little to be getting done.

Not to mention how many retailers refuse to position the machine in a place that lets you see exactly how much you are tapping for.

Tap and go is typically 21st century- businesses convince people that something they should be doing for the customer (handling cash, selling in a bricks and mortar store instead of moving online, self service machines in McDonalds instead of till staff), they somehow convince eejits that the new way is faster, cheaper, more convenient, when in truth it is slower, more expensive, more prone to error, but is cheaper for the vendor.

I challenge anybody to name me one "innovation" big business has made in the last 20 years that has made the customer experience cheaper, faster or more streamlined.

There aren't any*. But there are dozens that have been sold as such that only make life easier for the vendor.

*: at a push, Ryanair taking travel agents out of the equation. Even at that, if it were an option I'd far rather go into a Ryanair shop in town with a few notes than do the booking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

and is a pain in the hole to get a refund for a card payment

As in, when you just put your card in the machine and the money goes back into your account whence it came? Right pain alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I
    I challenge anybody to name me one "innovation" big business has made in the last 20 years that has made the customer experience cheaper, faster or more streamlined.

Internet banking. Particularly for making payments. No more queueing in branches and filling out forms.

It really isn't.

Getting a few bits in Tesco I normally have the exact amount in my hand while in the queue. Gone before the receipt can be printed.
    How long does it take to get the exact amount ready? That seems like more hassle TBH. I always hated carrying around change, so contactless is much more convenient. It literally takes a few seconds to tap a card. It would take longer to put the exact amount into a self service machine.
    Not to mention how many retailers refuse to position the machine in a place that lets you see exactly how much you are tapping for
    Not sure what you mean by this? Wouldn't you already know how much you're paying for before you tap?

Internet banking. Particularly for making payments. No more queueing in branches and filling out forms.

This is great, I dont go onto a branch much more than twice a year now and only when someone gives me one of those old timey cheques.

And card is faster, when the card machine doesnt screw up that is. Feck all that rooting for change and brown coins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Why should someone have to obtain cash to make life easier for you?

. But I won't demand someone get Revolut or something, a normal one will do me, I can wait.

If all parties dealt with decent banks, you wouldn't have to wait.

I also can't fathom people who use card instead of cash. Takes twice, thrice as long to make payment, can take days to show on your bank balance, and is a pain in the hole to get a refund for a card payment. Worst is people who insist on using them when you're out then hit you up for a lend because the pub's machine is broke, or you have to cover their taxi because the driver quite correctly refuses to have a card machine.

Frankly I actually don't respect people who no longer use cash. Tap and go is a comically bad "innovation",

Tap card/phone on machine, phone beeps, service/goods paid for, balance on banking app instantly updated, move on quickly.

Compare this to: need to plan to obtain and carry sufficient cash, root round in pockets, wallet, purse, socks to obtain cash, examine cash to ensure it is of soffievent value, cash is then examined by the provider of goods and services to ensure it is of sufficient value, value is entered in till, cash is secured in till, core t change is removed from till and returned to you, must find sufficient storage space for coins, rattle round for rest of the day, only way to check balance is to remove cash and count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

It really isn't.

Tap and go easily takes five times longer, it's an appalling archaic system for people who have little to be getting done.

Not to mention how many retailers refuse to position the machine in a place that lets you see exactly how much you are tapping for.

Tap and go is typically 21st century- businesses convince people that something they should be doing for the customer (handling cash, selling in a bricks and mortar store instead of moving online, self service machines in McDonalds instead of till staff), they somehow convince eejits that the new way is faster, cheaper, more convenient, when in truth it is slower, more expensive, more prone to error, but is cheaper for the vendor.

There aren't any*. But there are dozens that have been sold as such that only make life easier for the vendor.

*: at a push, Ryanair taking travel agents out of the equation. Even at that, if it were an option I'd far rather go into a Ryanair shop in town with a few notes than do the booking myself.

1/10.....

It really isn't.

Contactless takes 4 seconds, paying exact amout is giving yourself more work and carrying coins is a pain in the hole. I can always see how much im tapping for. Using cash most of the time belongs in the 90's like dial up internet

Fake nails. I think they're disgusting. Short-ish shellac is ok I suppose, but nothing worse than overly long fakes that harbour dirt underneath and do a clack clack clack all day on the keyboard.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    Fake nails. I think they're disgusting. Short-ish shellac is ok I suppose, but nothing worse than overly long fakes that harbour dirt underneath and do a clack clack clack all day on the keyboard.

And that weird gap that's alway left as the base of the nail. Looks like it hasn't been stuck on in the right spot, or it's been on so long that the nail underneath has grown and moved it up

Woeful things.

Lucozade. Awful tasting stuff.
    No idea why people like it.

People who like cracking their knuckles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

When they're using the till in the shops and the tap tap on the screen

The same cohort that "celebrate" i.e. dress up for Bloomsday every year, who've probably never read Ulysses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭FrankN1

People who are excited to work on certain projects at work. Or have a "passion" for it...really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Using cash most of the time belongs in the 90's like dial up internet

It's also much less hygienic...and IMO, results in lost business. I encountered a few places while on holiday in Clare a few years ago where we turned up to places to avail of services or buy stuff only to be told, "Oh, we don't take cards, sorry." Our reaction was not to drive miles to find an ATM and then return.

Thankfully COVID seems to be helping immensely with eliminating this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,526 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

SAMTALK wrote: »
    When they're using the till in the shops and the tap tap on the screen

its not the same since they stopped selling it in the bottles with the crinkly plastic wrapping. It has lost its medicinal properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

FrankN1 wrote: »
    People who are excited to work on certain projects at work. Or have a "passion" for it...really?

Why not? What's wrong with really enjoying your work? I'd put myself in the enjoy certain projects, passion might be a bit strong but I really do enjoy projects I work on.

I'm "passionate" about not ending up on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

its 2021 fyi

storker wrote: »
    It's also much less hygienic.

Do you know how tapping your card works? With card i dont touch the card reader but with cash i get change that could of been anywhere, card is clearly more hygenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Why not? What's wrong with really enjoying your work? I'd put myself in the enjoy certain projects, passion might be a bit strong but I really do enjoy projects I work on.

Oh you definitely can if you work in a job you like, sports science, doctor, etc anything really. Moreso the people in business who talk ****e most of the time and spout on about how they love working on FS banking regulation work etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Do you know how tapping your card works? With card i dont touch the card reader but with cash i get change that could of been anywhere, card is clearly more hygenic.

Er...yes, that's exactly what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Sparkling water. It's like drinking ash.

• Advertisement

I see no problem if people want to use apple pay or other apps versus cash,
    I prefer to use the self scan machines rather than wait in a queue
    Some apps also give you a discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't get why anyone would want to carry cash. Handed a pile of shrapnel every time you buy something? I'd rather burn money than deal with that.

It's also handy to log into your account and see where your money has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

I don't get why anyone would want to carry cash. Handed a pile of shrapnel every time you buy something? I'd rather burn money than deal with that.

Cash is also coated with all kinds of bacteria and filth.

I used to put all my small coins into a jar and then bring it to one of those coin machine things. I was been charged money to convert money into money. Load of shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Easier to trace your money and your activities digitally, cash isn't going anywhere for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I used to put all my small coins into a jar and then bring it to one of those coin machine things. I was been charged money to convert money into money. Load of shíte.

Easier than counting them into bags , plus as I have a mixture of sterling/euro the machines are a handy way of sorting it.

Sakana wrote: »
    Cash is also coated with all kinds of bacteria and filth.

I remember counting hundreds of coins after a fundraising drive and your fingers would be black from handling them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Dont get that either. I assume most of it is fake to make the upper tier hear what they ned to hear. Quite possibly the upper tier are sort of the same. We're all trapped in having to play the game and some do it more convincingly than others.

Having said that. Since I'm getting paid for it and I'm going to be at it for 35-40 hours a week anyway I might as well relish it when I work on something somewhat interesting or challenging over mind numbing boredom.

But ye the excited/passion lingo is mostly bullsh1t I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just unload them into the self service checkout at Tesco etc. No commission and it feels like a free shop.

• Advertisement

As in, when you just put your card in the machine and the money goes back into your account whence it came? Right pain alright :D

I was in Sports Direct the other day stuck behind a lad looking for a card refund. It required so many managers to come down I thought Mike Ashley himself might appear. A good 10 minutes it took.
    riclad wrote: »
    I see no problem if people want to use apple pay or other apps versus cash,
    I prefer to use the self scan machines rather than wait in a queue
    Some apps also give you a discount

It's hard to believe something even clunkier than tap and go exists, but Apple Pay is surely it. I feel like actually assaulting anybody infront of me paying for a can of Coke with it, it takes forever.

While the apps are handy the AIB one hasn't worked properly in about four months.

Not sure what you mean by this? Wouldn't you already know how much you're paying for before you tap?

Yes. But most vendors keep the machine behind the counter. If I'm in the Chinese I'm blindly tapping something I can't see- I could be paying 48 euro for an 8 euro meal for all I know.

Advertisement