Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I.S. 10101 - The replacement for ET101:2008

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

Prove dead and isolate locally

Avoid direct contact

Not much else you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 41 somebodude

Q about IS10101

I'm just looking up prices of stuff, in advance of getting an electrician to do it properly, but there are few things I might misunderstand

• RCBO-type-AC - are these not still recomended for showers, immersion heaters and induction hobs ?
    • 1-pole versus '1P+N' - is that the new recommended thing, to cut off both the live and neutral when theres's a fault? is there and implications for eejits like me occasionally rewiring a socket or light fitting ? (the 1P+N cuold be twice the price it seems)
    • cable specs - what should I be looking up the prices of, in terms of (a) fusebox to shower, immersion heater ; (b) to socket loops (c) lighting loops. Lights are of course these days all low power, and conversely there's lots more going onto sockets than a few decades ago.
    • - heavy socket cable, IIUC, is supposed to be three insulated cores now, rather than two insulated plus bare earth.
    • - also the specs for plastic have changed, low halogen or something. What should I be looking at the prices of ?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Type AC rcds work on mains AC fault currents so is ok for resistive loads only

1P+N rcbos means solid neutral pole afaik, only live is switched

Electrical wholesalers will be up to speed on cables etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My understanding is that RCD’s and RCBO’s must break both poles to be compliant with IS10101. However I can’t seem to find where it states this.

Regarding "cable specs" the lrequirement is that cables shall as a minimum meet the requirements of Class Dca s2, d2, a2 or higher in accordance with I.S. EN 50575. In addition, cables shall be tested in accordance with I.S. EN 61034-2.

That's the way it should be imo , break both poles

• Registered Users Posts: 41 somebodude

FYI I'm apparently able to ask ChatGPT questions about IS10101

me> are wago-type lever clamo wire connectors acceptable in IS10101

bot> Yes, Wago-type lever clamp wire connectors are acceptable under IS10101. The standard does not specify the use of a particular brand or type of connector, but rather focuses on the requirements for the electrical installation as a whole, including proper connection of conductors. Wago-type lever clamp wire connectors are a widely used and accepted type of connector in the electrical industry due to their ease of use, reliability, and safety features. However, it is important to ensure that the connectors being used meet the appropriate standards for electrical safety and performance.

I wonder if it's true ... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Handy little chart there last time I was researching it .Can't say i understand fault currents much

Type A trips for pulsating AC and isn't blinded by <6mA smooth DC

Type B operates on smooth DC fault currents

B and F do everything an A and AC does

Advertisement