Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy/rent weights?

Options
  • 17-03-2020 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

I've trawled facebook marketplace/adverts/donedeal... it's all new equipment for 1000's or overpriced equipment. Is there anywhere I can get a cheap bench and about 100kg of weights that fit both barbell/dumbbell's. Is there anywhere that would rent? Has anyone anything at all lying around? I'm welding up a frame today for dips/pull ups but I still need a barbell and dumbbells. I'm based in Limerick.

I don't care what condition the weights are in as long as they work! Plastic/Cast Iron... I don't care.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Irish Lifting, Rogue, HIT Fitness. I'm sure that after a few weeks of quarantine there will be a few bankrupt gyms that will be selling off their gear on the cheap.

Either way be prepared to spend at least a few hundred quid on the bar. It's the most important piece of kit as it's the most versatile and can last 10+ years if you treat it right.

Plates are probably the least important so long as you're not planning on dropping the bar a lot. You could probably go reasonably cheap on those.

I would leave out the dumbbells if you're on a tight budget. They're great but very expensive and require you to buy at least several pairs to be able to do more than just a few exercises with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Cill94 wrote: »
    Irish Lifting, Rogue, HIT Fitness. I'm sure that after a few weeks of quarantine there will be a few bankrupt gyms that will be selling off their gear on the cheap.

Either way be prepared to spend at least a few hundred quid on the bar. It's the most important piece of kit as it's the most versatile and can last 10+ years if you treat it right.

Plates are probably the least important so long as you're not planning on dropping the bar a lot. You could probably go reasonably cheap on those.

I would leave out the dumbbells if you're on a tight budget. They're great but very expensive and require you to buy at least several pairs to be able to do more than just a few exercises with them.

Cheers for that I’ll have a look at those places. I picked up an Olympic bar today and 100kg in plates. I think the spinlock dumbbells might be the way to go, just looking online there a good set of commercial grade dumbbells are over a thousand euros. I’d be happy with spinlock ones that go up to 30 and I can use the Olympic bar for heavier exercises. I’m welding a dip/pull-up frame tomorrow and I’ll also use it as a bench press with hooks on it for Olympic bar.

Looking now for spinlock weights so I can adjust the weight as I see fit and a good quality bench. Need some of those smaller cast iron plates too from 5kg down.

I’m based in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Cheers for that I’ll have a look at those places. I picked up an Olympic bar today and 100kg in plates. I think the spinlock dumbbells might be the way to go, just looking online there a good set of commercial grade dumbbells are over a thousand euros. I’d be happy with spinlock ones that go up to 30 and I can use the Olympic bar for heavier exercises. I’m welding a dip/pull-up frame tomorrow and I’ll also use it as a bench press with hooks on it for Olympic bar.

Looking now for spinlock weights so I can adjust the weight as I see fit and a good quality bench. Need some of those smaller cast iron plates too from 5kg down.

I’m based in limerick

To be honest once you have that pull-up frame made you'll have everything you need. I'd kill for that set-up at home!

There's also a group on Facebook called Irish Fitness Professionals where people sometimes sell off equipment. Groups like that may be worth asking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Cill94 wrote: »
    To be honest once you have that pull-up frame made you'll have everything you need. I'd kill for that set-up at home!

There's also a group on Facebook called Irish Fitness Professionals where people sometimes sell off equipment. Groups like that may be worth asking in.

Cheers I’ll add them there! I’ll be working out in an 8x4 shed. It’s the height of glamour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GlobalOne

If you are stil looking for any items may be able to get them at fitnessequipmentdublin dot ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement