Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Big thunderstorm here in ballaghaderreen,lots off fork lighting and thunder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

lolie wrote: »
    Looks like the west is the place to be again today.

storm central.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

storm central.

Yep. Looking bit better for my side tomorrow.
    Could hear distant thunder from that cell that's heading up the middle of cavan now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

Could some people watching all this fork lightning maybe take a few vids for the rest of us.
    All the action the past few days and nearly nothing to show from it.

im on standby with my camera should anything happen.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭chris2007

anything happening for dublin today sometime?

something approaching from the south east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

chris2007 wrote: »
    anything happening for dublin today sometime?
    its been years since I've seen lightning and heard thunder in Dublin (yes years!) I can't even remember the last time! Apparently there was a big thunderstorm last July (at night too!) but I wasn't in Dublin that night so missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

something approaching from the south east

Looking exactly the same in South Mayo, sky approaching from the south [Galway].

Could hear distant rumbles while outside earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Pouring down now in Castlebar, can hear some rumbles in the distance as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

its been years since I've seen lightning and heard thunder in Dublin (yes years!) I can't even remember the last time! Apparently there was a big thunderstorm last July (at night too!) but I wasn't in Dublin that night so missed it.

The best thunder I ever saw in dublin was November 03 when we got mountain snow & lots of hail with lightning for 2-3 days straight.
    I think it was about 10 years ago now, November 2003 I would say. (Which is really years ago now!) It was a streamer setup from a cold north easterly, but it brought some amazing lightning & thunder & hail.

I do think Galway gets alot more lightning than Dublin overall. Dublin gets more snow though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Thunder in Galway heard two large rumbles, did not see the lightning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The last proper one I remember in Dublin was the Thunder Snow of 2010, awww the memories...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Amazing storm just west of Bremen at the moment. Numerous strikes per second.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Thunder rumbling in south mayo now with heavy shower. Just had power drop out briefly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Amazing looking storm all right, probably more lightning in 60 seconds than I've seen in the past decade!

Looking for live webcams in Bremen but no luck finding one that'll work on my phone

dacogawa wrote: »
    The last proper one I remember in Dublin was the Thunder Snow of 2010, awww the memories...

That was a good one but there was no sound / thunder with it. Not that I ever heard, but great colours of blue purple etc.

Very loud rumbles in Castlebar now.

Harps wrote: »
    Amazing looking storm all right, probably more lightning in 60 seconds than I've seen in the past decade!

Looking for live webcams in Bremen but no luck finding one that'll work on my phone

Just a static picture but you can see it approaching.

http://www.brekom.de/img/cam.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Just a static picture but you can see it approaching.

http://www.brekom.de/img/cam.jpg

Just clicked on that and it looks like the middle of the night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

That was a good one but there was no sound / thunder with it. Not that I ever heard, but great colours of blue purple etc.

You missed out, I've never heard anything like it! one bang right over the house, everything white for a second & made every hair stand up. At least you got the colours, they were special

Harps wrote: »

That's a great link Harps. Funny how the german sensors never seem to pick up the Irish lightning very well. I suppose were too far away.
    That site is missing most of the irish strikes but the Icelandic site always detects the irish ones. I wonder what the difference is?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 forrest gump

Here is a link to a live feed in Bremen. hotel-bremen.dorint.com/en/pictures-videos-and-webcam/live-webcam/
    I haven't seen any lighting yet from it.
    sorry can't post links yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Met Eireann have a status Orange warning :

STATUS ORANGE

Thunderstorm Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan

Thunderstorm activity is expected this evening, overnight and again during the day tomorrow. Some intense thundery downpours are likely at times, with possibly some flash flooding in places. Connacht and west Ulster will be most at risk this evening. But all areas will be at risk later tonight and especially during Tuesday.

Issued:
    Monday 09 June 2014 16:00

Valid:
    Monday 09 June 2014 16:00 to Tuesday 10 June 2014 21:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah slow moving nature of storms could bring big enough rainfall totals in a short period of time. Definitely something to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That's an impressive enough CAPE forecast for Ireland tomorrow afternoon. If the sun can get to work there could be a few nice cells.

Rtavn3011.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭highdef

OK, so it's not this country but I would be fairly confident that this webcam will be showing an amazing light show in a few hours time ;)http://www.wetter.com/wettercom-live/koeln/5977288734b55/

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭savj2

Check out the Belgium/Germany border near Liege. Incredible lightening storm. Strikes going off constantly.

Looking at tomorrow, LI is up to -6 and CAPE up to ~1,300 J/kg so a good chance of thunderstorms breaking out as the Met Eireann warning shows. Of course nothing comparable to continental fireworks though. :p

16oRkeG.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So frustrating, all thunderstorms have been just west and North of me. Alot of them are passing right over me before coming to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

looks like sat24 is down... they're based in france aint they? probably insane power outage around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hows it looking for tomorrow morning in the north west. Flying into knock airport in the morning and trying to see if we'll have,

a.) delays, or
    b.) the opportunity to take videos from above. :)

thanks in advance ;)

Will Dublin see any thunder storms later tonight tomorrow what do you all think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You can see the train of instability on radar to our south heading for the southeast and east coast later tonight. Great angle of attack for storms later on. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few sparks reported soon after midnight.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Taken at a festival in Holland.

0A7C4C97ABAC41519EB5DFD782E0A5FD-0000324468-0003582584-00600L-386CE6F50A3B4BA891AE5258F741C32B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭savj2

Mesoscale Discussion from Estofex

2014060920_201406091803_-_mesoscalediscussion.xml.png

Bow echo?? A derecho??

Will Dublin see any thunder storms later tonight tomorrow what do you all think?

I'd say a slight risk in the early hours of the morning but a more realistic chance tomorrow.

savj2 wrote: »
    Bow echo?? A derecho??

Bowing presentation on radar.

http://www.meteo-info.be/en/weather/radar.html

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mankyspuds

That is the coolest website in the whole world. Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Some fantastic flashes of lightning in Sligo earlier today and feels like there's more potential for some later.

• Advertisement

Any reports of any sparks around the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yep, it's back again, wind seems to have eased off a bit.

Any reports of any sparks around the country?

Been none in nearly 2 hours and they were only in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

Another one

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2014060922_201406091933_-_mesoscalediscussion.xml

Mesoscale Discussion
    Valid: Mon 09 Jun 2014 19:00 to Mon 09 Jun 2014 22:00 UTC
    Issued: Mon 09 Jun 2014 19:33
    Forecaster: PUCIK / GROENEMEIJER

Convective storms are intensifying across NW and N France. Their environment is characterized by strong 25-30 m/s deep-layer (0-6 km) shear and about 500-1500 J/kg CAPE, the highest values in the southeast of the area.

Per numerical guidance and observed N to NE surface winds, these storms will experience a strongly helical low-level flow across far northern France and Belgium. There, LCL heights are very low with T/Td spreads typically around 2-4 degrees C. This suggests that tornadoes will be possible with the best organized storms in northern France and Belgium. Some large hail and severe winds will probably occur as well. The threat for large hail is highest in the south of the MD area, where the lapse rates are the steepest.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Loads of rumbles around Cavan today. Mainly passed to the NE of us but you could still hear it in the distance. Hopefully more after dark. Its always better in the dark!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

http://www.muenster.de/en/webcam_aasee.html

great view from this Múnster webcam a the storm approachs from Dortmund

Edit: this was what i saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Savage lightning and thunder in south Kilkenny. Worst I've seen in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cell has broken out North of Waterford City. Sferics associated with it

pad199207 wrote: »
    Cell has broken out North of Waterford City. Sferics associated with it

Wasn't sure if it was wheelie bins or thunder. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Air quickly Destabilising from the South. Altocumulus Castellanus visible to my South

Cell over Waterford still producing sparks. Heading for Kilkenny City now

• Advertisement
Advertisement