Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall Warning : Heavy Rain and Potential Thunderstorms Thurs 8 - Fri 9 Aug 2019

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Knocked the power out for a second, followed by a rumble. Nothing showing on lightningmaps tho. Hoping for more, gone very still outside all of a sudden

Showing on met eireann radar and blitzortung though, moving east unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Few decent flashes and loud thunder here in East Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Showing on met eireann radar and blitzortung though, moving east unfortunately

Fortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Incredible downpour here a few miles outside Nenagh in North Tipp approx. 30 mins ago and some thunder too.

Never seen such water buildup on stone and gravel driveway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Posters are reminded to adhere to the Forum Charter.

Post deleted , see No. 1 Please refrain from direct personal attacks on any person whether they are members of boards.ie or not.

• Advertisement

Still plenty of moisture sitting in the Atlantic waiting to come in as the night passes and tomorrow morning. Rivers are still very high here following the events of last weekend and BH Monday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Was hoping for some more sparky action down here.

Can't complain I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The two houses that were hit by lightning in Cobh last night were in adjoining estates what would you make out of that , something in the area attracting the lightning or just bad luck

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Was hoping for some more sparky action down here.

Can't complain I suppose!

Don't be greedy now.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The two houses that were hit by lightning in Cobh last night were in adjoining estates what would you make out of that , something in the area attracting the lightning or just bad luck

Just both in the path of the storm?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Storm 10 wrote: »

Could have been up on the hill?
    Dunno.

Frightening experience anyway, the poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

That lightning strike in cork harbour seems to have been the cause of the light flickering around the entire country around 23:40 or so which is similar to when reports came in around the country. Damaged a lot of machinery in the pharma plants here in cork for the second it dipped etc.

Amazing really how it's all connected!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That lightning strike in cork harbour seems to have been the cause of the light flickering around the entire country around 23:40 or so which is similar to when reports came in around the country. Damaged a lot of machinery in the pharma plants here in cork for the second it dipped etc.

Amazing really how it's all connected!

Ah here...one lightning strike affecting the whole country? I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Zillah wrote: »
    Ah here...one lightning strike affecting the whole country? I find that hard to believe.

If you scroll back to around that time on this thread you see the multiple simultaneous reports, even some from Dublin including myself. There was no lightning activity anywhere else away from the Cork/Kerry area at the time, and I'm pretty sure we weren't all imagining things at the same time.

The electricity grid is connected around the country so it's not that outlandish of an occurrence.

Advertisement