Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Gemma O Doherty go batshyt crazy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

She's going to find out one thing: this isn't Trumpland. There isn't a critical mass of gullible fools who'll vote for someone like her unquestioningly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Sharia law has already been recognised in UK courts. And it's not uncommon for it to be enforced on the ground within predominantly Muslim areas of Britain. We've already seen cases of FGM here in Ireland. Why would you not expect to see a push for it over here? There's a moral vacuum now that the Catholic Church has been virtually stripped of it's powers.

Any form of Sharia literally has to remain within the remit of the law in the UK, basically a non legal route more than anything. FGM is more cultural than religious and more often than not predates Islam in regions that use it. Nobody is gonna sign off on the use of FGM and there have been pretty strong opposition to it from all corners in both the UK and Ireland.

You're assuming morality comes from the Catholic Church. It pushed a warped morality on us but there's absolutely no indication in some decline in "morality" as a result of their diminished status. (entirely of their own creation btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Sharia law has already been recognised in UK courts. And it's not uncommon for it to be enforced on the ground within predominantly Muslim areas of Britain. We've already seen cases of FGM here in Ireland. Why would you not expect to see a push for it over here? There's a moral vacuum now that the Catholic Church has been virtually stripped of it's powers.

FGM is not a Muslim thing, it's an African thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPY0pCTbduA

Sharia Law in the UK applies only in very certain specific instances of family law.

There has been no indication that this will happen here, or that our very small Muslim population even wants it to.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Also Gemma, it's probably not a good idea to insult people and make wild accusations and assumptions about them just because they didn't want to talk to you.
    Any good politician knows that.

Sharia law may indeed be recognised in the UK courts, however, what is really important, is that it cannot overrule a UK court.

https://fullfact.org/law/uks-sharia-courts/

In fact, one could argue that priest penetance privilege is much worse, as they cannot be compelled to give evidence in the UK or the united states

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/amp/news/why-priests-cant-break-the-seal-of-confession-despite-uk-lawyers-recommendation-99725

Catholic church and moral vacuums have always existed, except in the not so distant past it was a lot more hypocritical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Lads do you think she will continue with the mad videos after the election? Because to be honest we do have a great bit craic going over her tweets and videos everyday ... I showed the wife a few videos yesterday and she genuine taught the videos were satire from a comedy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'd like to think that Gemma, a once creditable reporter, is in fact conducting a social experiment to garner background for a book she intends releasing on the effects of Social Media and how it can be manipulated at it's extreme ends.

As part of that study she's currently plying the Alt-Right end of the scale now but some day in the future she'll flip and become an outraged vocal Alt-Lefty. The results of her studies, based over years of social media manipulation will be used as the basis for her PhD... or as a work of fiction about a woman who fools everyone into making her President.

I have to hope the above is true because the alternative is that she actually believes all of what she says. That would be kinda heartbreaking, seeing the spiralling decent of someone who had such potential rapidly sink to the levels she is now trawling.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There's a moral vacuum now that the Catholic Church has been virtually stripped of it's powers.

Let the rapings resume to keep us all in check.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

harr wrote: »
    Lads do you think she will continue with the mad videos after the election? Because to be honest we do have a great bit craic going over her tweets and videos everyday ... I showed the wife a few videos yesterday and she genuine taught the videos were satire from a comedy show.

Ah yeah, she'll find some other bandwagon to jump on no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

...this would be the shower than abused its power and those in its care for decades? An "immoral" vacuum maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

There's a moral vacuum now that the Catholic Church has been virtually stripped of it's powers.

You're.... you're joking right?

Right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...this would be the shower than abused its power and those in its care for decades? An "immoral" vacuum maybe.

I wouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. Some bad things happened, but far outweighed by the good. I don't recall dead bodies being left in hospital corridors in the old days.

I wouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. Some bad things happened, but far outweighed by the good. I don't recall dead bodies being left in hospital corridors in the old days.

No they were just thrown in to septic tanks.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Also Gemma, it's probably not a good idea to insult people and make wild accusations and assumptions about them just because they didn't want to talk to you.
    Any good politician knows that.

Jesus, what am I saying, any bad politician also knows that.

No they were just thrown in to septic tanks.

Lol. You don't honestly believe that surely.

Are you saying it's a conspiracy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Well they weren't given coffins, a Christian funeral and buried on consecrated grounds, as you would expect from a religious order... you can argue the septic tank part all you want, those babies were treated inhumanely.

GTF.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Well they weren't given coffins, a Christian funeral and buried on consecrated grounds, as you would expect from a religious order... you can argue the septic tank part all you want, those babies were treated inhumanely.

Why would there began argument over the septic tank? It was confirmed that never actually happened. The Church were just trying to clean up other people's mess.

Why would there began argument over the septic tank? It was confirmed that never actually happened. The Church were just trying to clean up other people's mess.

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Your mask has fallen off!

You are doing a despicable rewrite of how the church treated women, children and survivors of abuse. You are an absolute disgrace.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Source?

The report from the Commission of Investigaion. It's worrying, but not surprising, how many people still believe the batshyt crazy narrative in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,430 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You're seriously using the RCC as your moral guidline?

The same religion thay enslaved women in work houses? that sold children to Americans? who buried babies in a sceptic tank?

The report from the Commission of Investigaion. It's worrying, but not surprising, how many people still believe the batshyt crazy narrative in this.

Again - source (source being the specific quote and a link)

Looking at report. The archaeologist concluded its possibly purpose was for cesspool or tanks into which waste would be deposited. This was in addition to the septic tank. Think that improves it in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The report from the Commission of Investigation is damning:

"The combination of an institutional boarding home and commingled interments of juvenile remains in a sewage treatment system is a unique situation, with no directly comparable domestic or international cases." ~ https://www.dcya.gov.ie/documents/mother_and_baby_homes/20171212MBHExperttechGroupReport.pdf

(See - quote and source. It's not hard.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

You're seriously using the RCC as your moral guidline?

The same religion thay enslaved women in work houses? that sold children to Americans? who buried babies in a sceptic tank?

Seriously enslaved women in work houses??
    I think you will find it was the women's family's who sent these women to the laundries.
    Unwanted children had to be adopted give it a rest with Catholic basing.
    The church has done a lot more for Irish people and shouldn't pay for the mistakes of a few bad apple's

Seriously enslaved women in work houses??
    I think you will find it was the women's family's who sent these women to the laundries.
    Unwanted children had to be adopted give it a rest with Catholic basing.
    The church has done a lot more for Irish people and shouldn't pay for the mistakes of a few bad apple's

Wow.

You have done NO research in what happened in a Magdalene laundry.

I have interviewed women who have been incarcerated there. They could not leave. They could run away,but they could not leave of their own volition.

Was it the families that made them change their first names? No, it was the nuns.

They went hungry, they weren't allowed to talk to each other, they worked all the time for no money.

I remember one woman who told me that when she was ironing the expensive linen set for the top hotels, she used to imagine judges and official people sleep on the pillows that she was ironing, and whisper "help" into them.

I strongly encourage you do some research from first hand accounts and you will see how wrong you are to defend the church in this matter.

As for the slave trade of Irish children, that's exactly what it was. Wealthy (usually American) families paid the church for the child. I think you'll find exchanging money for a human life, (not to mention it was done without the consent of the parents) is pretty much the dictionary definition of a slave trade, regardless of how well the child was reared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Am I the only one a tad uneasy in how this woman is being treated?

I mean that in the sense that she clearly has problems and making fun of her might not be in good taste at this stage.

Just my 2 cents.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement