Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

• 29-03-2016 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Seriously. Between questions being asked that are idiotic and usually answered in the item description, and ridiculous offers

Typical interaction:

Gold bar €1000 ono

"Offer 50e and and a used dvd of under siege starring Steven segal. "

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Fortunately, here in "After Hours" you will find an altogether more serious ethos and grown-up interaction.

As evidence of same, see the following :-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Seriously. Between questions being asked that are idiotic and usually answered in the item description, and ridiculous offers

Typical interaction:

Gold bar €1000 ono

60e plus the Segal dvd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Swap for my ad's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Typical interaction:

Gold bar €1000 ono

Under Siege is class, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Still for sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Selling on adverts is difficult, find done deal much easier and quicker.

Buying is the opposite, you can get great deals on adverts if you're not taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I can get a brand new gold bar, still in the wrapper, for €150 on ebay.
    www.ebay.com/link-to-slightly-similar-but-lesser-quality-item

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Typical interaction:

Gold bar €1000 ono

Serious answer: yes
    After hours answer: no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Any interest in a sound system for the car?

Will swap + cash my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

People should be banned from it if they ignore explicit requests for No Swaps in your ad description. Or stupidly lowball offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just think of it like an auction. Consider the asking price to be an undisclosed reserve price, and that people are bidding on the auction, and that the person is not obliged to accept the reserve price as a minimum.

Just like ebay the first bidders will give stupidly low bids/offers in case the seller is desperate and in case nobody else bids/offers.

If people did this it would cause a lot less upset.

People will often put a very high reserve/starting price in case they have greatly undervalued it, or some oddball idiot does come along and pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I've never heard anybody complain about this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,480 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Swap for 1997 Honda Civic? No NCT but will fly through..LAD.

Lad?

Lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Or indeed, complain about people complaining about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

The lowball offers on ads I don't mind too much, it's just people chancing their arm, sure you might as well, eh? The worst is people who make an offer, get it accepted then disappear. Why did they make an offer if they didn't want it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Offer €1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Still available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Have Nokia 3210, new in box. No swaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Oh yeah... that one...

"NCT expired 11/08"
    "Serviced recently (2013)"

Seller notes:
    "Will fly through NCT".....

Well then you do it you tart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Not like you to complain about nonsense posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Swap for X-BOX & money my way?
    Comes with FIFA 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ruu wrote: »

€10 offered. Can collect today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ruu wrote: »

What about my PS One? Hardly used, like new apart from the tape to keep the lid closed.

Can you deliver it to Tralee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Offer 1e

for pm ;)

€50 cash tonight lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I've bought a few things off it and had a generally positive experience

But this is my first time selling and it's a joke. I think people enjoy sitting on it in the evening asking questions and being tyre kickers and test pilots

How hard could it be to do some spring cleaning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Old Testament like new, signed by Author. Will swap for hot dog guy, cash my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

€50 cash tonight lad?

Deliver it to costellos?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

I have a shop with fixed prices, and very competitive prices

Do you have this ring in a size K and €20 is a great price for sterling silver

yes I do

how do I buy it

hit the button that says buy now

I can't I do not have paypal or that new credit card thingy

do you want to send me a postal order?

what is that?

cash via an post

oh no I am not sending cash

it is not cash it is a postal order you buy in the post office, I cash it

...............nothing for 6 weeks then

negative feedback, where is the ring I ordered 6 weeks ago but did not pay for????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I swapped GAA programmes on it with a man, I could have easily took the programmes and sent him nothing back but I am a man of morals and a man of Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

*lives in Dublin, selling for 20 euro*

" I'll give u 5 for it and I'll meet you in Kildare"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Gold bar €1000 ono

€12 offered.

You ever in outer Mongolia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Worst is getting an offer and user has made dozens of €100+ offers on similar ads in the previous ten minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

In fairness, the sellers can take the piss too.

'1985 VCR, lid won't shut, play button missing, eats tapes, E50'

'I can get one new in box for E51 online'

'Yeah, that's why there's a discount'

Deliver it to costellos?

I'll post for €150 lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

kylith wrote: »
    In fairness, the sellers can take the piss too.

'1985 VCR, lid won't shut, play button missing, eats tapes, E50'

'Yeah, that's why there's a discount'

Hey usually reply with "then off you go to get it online so bud"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Or yer one who turns up an hour late at 21.30 to buy a like new chrome towel rad. Loves it, the best rad she has ever seen, exactly what she wanted and at such a good price, what a lovely home you have. Then you offer to put it in her car she says no, and drags it down the driveway.

A week later she's texting saying she wants a refund because she has bought a cheaper one somewhere else. When you explain you're not a shop and she scratched the fook out of it, she threatens coming back with big brothers and then the Gardaí.

Last time I used Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

kylith wrote:

I hate that thread spoiling lark too though. Move on if you aren't interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

That can work the other way too though. I've seen people quote the lowest prices from ebay auctions as counter offers on Adverts despite the fact that Adverts.ie is more of a Buy It Now price. Sometimes ebay auctions attract little interest & the item sells for an extremely low price. A few weeks later the same item could have bidders crawling over one another to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I've sold a good few items over the last couple of years on adverts. Just random items here and there. Alot of people are indeed sound but there are also alot who aren't.

But you meet some spacers off there. I mean proper few screws loose type of people. I was selling some V for Vendetta masks a couple of years ago and met this guy up. Starts going on about how "we have to protest, man" then goes on for a 10 minute spiel. Was not just what he said but the mannerisms out of him. You'd swear there was going to be a riot on and he wanted first row seats.
    But of course me being too polite or a thick (take your pick) I didn't say "Do you want the masks or not?" - in the end he didn't buy them. Wouldnt you know.

• Advertisement

I've sold a good few items over the last couple of years on adverts. Just random items here and there. Alot of people are indeed sound but there are also alot who aren't.

But you meet some spacers off there. I mean proper few screws loose type of people. I was selling some V for Vendetta masks a couple of years ago and met this guy up. Starts going on about how "we have to protest, man" then goes on for a 10 minute spiel. Was not just what he said but the mannerisms out of him. You'd swear there was going to be a riot on and he wanted first row seats.
    But of course me being too polite or a thick (take your pick) I didn't say "Do you want the masks or not?" - in the end he didn't buy them. Wouldnt you know.

I've a feeling selling V for Vendetta masks was your first mistake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I've a feeling selling V for Vendetta masks was your first mistake...

:pac:
    you are probably right. See I got given some by a friend a few weeks before Halloween (I wonder now why he gave me them lol. I had about 20) But to be fair most people who bought them were just normal, decent people. Sound like.

But then I had a couple of them left over and would you know the water protests were kicking up a few months later. But this guy was something else. You're probably thinking "I bet he was some early 20s bloke in college" - But no, a guy in early 40s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

-- Spoon: €2

- Great, i wont even make an offer, how much in total with postage to my place.

-- Be €30 lad

- Eh? How can it cost you €28 euro to send a spoon in the post?

-- Courier fee lad!

:pac:
    you are probably right. See I got given some by a friend a few weeks before Halloween (I wonder now why he gave me them lol. I had about 20) But to be fair most people who bought them were just normal, decent people. Sound like.

But then I had a couple of them left over and would you know the water protests were kicking up a few months later. But this guy was something else. You're probably thinking "I bet he was some early 20s bloke in college" - But no, a guy in early 40s.

Can we please have a transcript? I need a good laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Boater123 wrote: »
    Or yer one who turns up an hour late at 21.30 to buy a like new chrome towel rad. Loves it, the best rad she has ever seen, exactly what she wanted and at such a good price, what a lovely home you have. Then you offer to put it in her car she says no, and drags it down the driveway.

A week later she's texting saying she wants a refund because she has bought a cheaper one somewhere else. When you explain you're not a shop and she scratched the fook out of it, she threatens coming back with big brothers and then the Gardaí.

Last time I used Adverts.

So what happened ? Did you have to refund ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

1. Put a min price on your item. always.
    2. Ban everyone who try to circumvent it by commenting instead of making offer or offering swaps when "no swaps" mentioned.
    3. ...
    4. Profit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Offer asking price but can you hold this for me until September of next year? I will defo buy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

I sold off my retro games console collection on adverts last year...... The aggressiveness of the responses was ridiculous. And people take it as a personal insult if you don't accept their "€50 can collect today, accept now" for items that were worth triple that.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Item for sale: €400.

Potential buyer: €200, but only if it is working 100%.

Me: I hate my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

2. Ban everyone who try to circumvent it by commenting instead of making offer or offering swaps when "no swaps" mentioned.

But how can I be sure someone won't accept a swap unless I ask? Maybe they selected the no swaps option by accident and also didn't mean to type it in the description.

• Advertisement
Advertisement