Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

This might be a stupid question but are people wearing suits to the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

Elliot192 wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but are people wearing suits to the medical?

I'd say jeans and a shirt would be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 48 beaker4133

df14 wrote: »
    I'd say jeans and a shirt would be grand

Ah yeah, definitely not a suit needed for the medical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bigdizzle92

Hey, what are people wearing down to the open day? Jeans and a tshirt? And then just a change for going into the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ashley7777

Has anybody had there medical yet? Or does anybody have any idea when the physical will be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Hey, what are people wearing down to the open day? Jeans and a tshirt? And then just a change for going into the gym?

Hit the nail on the head.

What yous all.think.of the open day?

RedmondHR wrote: »
    What yous all.think.of the open day?

Good to get a go of the obstacle course, push up and sits ups will be the killer for me

It was great to go down and get a feel for it. Would recommend everyone in the next batch to do it if you can.

For those who couldn't make it - it's not the end of the world. Watch the videos on youtube. There will be a talk on the day before you do your PCT, so if you've any questions ask them then.

I don't know if we are supposed to post this, so someone feel free to delete if necessary. But for those up in June who couldn't make the day I'll give you a quick breakdown of what we were told.

PCT day starts with a talk. Then it's bleep test in groups of roughly 8. Test has a built in warm up - Level 1 starts off at 8kph and has 6 shuttles, think he said level 2 had 6 as well. Some groups practicing this started out at too fast a pace. Take your time. Otherwise you'll be knackered by the end of it. They call out the shuttles for you starting from 6, so , 6, 6.1, 6.2 etc You only need to run as far as the mark you need plus one ie if you've to reach level 8.8 listen for the 8.8 and complete one more shuttle. If you miss a beep don't worry. Put your skates on and reach the next one. You'll get a warning but you're only out if you miss two consecutive beeps. Only one foot needs to hit the line, so don't waste time on two feet or big mad turns. Instructor recommended practicing the test indoors in a sports hall - not on a treadmill or on a pitch. Once you're finished you move straight into a side room for sit ups then push ups. So practice doing them fatigued! You'll be tested on this in private so don't worry about spectators. An instructor will stand on/hold your feet for the sit ups. Hands must remain on your temples. Elbows have to pass your knees on the sit up and shoulders have to touch the ground. You're lying on a mat for them. Feet are off the mat about a foot from your arse. Oh and if you are struggling on a sit up ie moving abs from side to side to bring yourself upright - it doesn't count. As soon as you've finished the sit ups it's on to the push ups no break -except maybe to shake out the aul muscles. You have to start off from the ground ie push yourself up. Hands under shoulders, arms/elbows tilted back slightly -so not at a 90 degree angle from your body. Need to keep back, arse and legs in a straight line - any bends and it doesn't count. Knees hit the floor and it's test over. Need to bring your chest down to about fist height off the floor. Can rest on your arms but instructor said it's fatiguing so wouldn't recommend it. That's unit one over. If you fail any part of it you will need to repeat that section. There is a possibility to redo one section of the PCT in 3 months. But don't bank on it. Mini break - the example he gave us was if beep etc finishes at 10.30 next section could start at 12. Again don't count on a massive break. Then it's on to the obstacle course followed immediately by the push pull. That is unit two. Again fail either component and you will need to redo entire section. Instructor said most people finish one lap of the obstacle course in about 50 seconds. Take your time on the balance beam (it's red with yellow spot at the start -need to start from the yellow), dipping under the bar (knock it off and you've to go back and do that section again). Things to watch out for are: green cones, go around them. Don't knock any cones down. Leave the tire hanging over the edge so it'll be easier to lift on your next lap. The mannequin weighs about 7 stone. If you have small hands you'll need to get a good grip on his ankles or try for his boots. Wrists won't be a problem. You can make up time on the sprint sections. Can take stairs two at a time. It's quite do-able. There will be an instructor talking you through the course so don't worry about getting mixed up or having to remember it all. You have 3mins 20secs. If you do it under 3min it knocks 10% off what you need to register on the push pull. Could come in handy for shorter people doing the push pull. Tips for the push pull. USE your entire body not just your arms. Use the legs to generate force for yourself. Don't look at the slider. Focus on the wall in front of you and listen for the beeps. Push til you hear a beep then pull back til you hear a beep etc. Again all this is done in private so no worries about nerves in front of others. Best of luck lads!

Great advice, someone must of been taking notes :p Where you group that done the obstacle course first and how did you find the stff yourself?

• Advertisement

It was good to get a go of the push pull and the beep. Think with some training I should be grand. How bout yourself?

It was good to get a go of the push pull and the beep. Think with some training I should be grand. How bout yourself?

Yea great to have an idea of what the push pull machine was like, and the weight of the dummy. I would he be pretty confident about more or less everything but the push ups and sit ups. I'm just worried about form for those. When I practice them I can do them buy I have no idea on if my form is good or ****.

Where exactly do you go for the medical at hq? Do you just go to the main entrance?

Main entrance and they direct you.

Main entrance and they direct

Do you have any idea when the physical will be?

Ashley7777 wrote: »
    Main entrance and they direct

Do you have any idea when the physical will be?

They're on at the minute plus 11th and 18th June and throughout the summer.

Ashley7777 wrote: »

They're on at the minute plus 11th and 18th June and throughout the summer.

OK cool thanks. Did you have yours yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 confuseddude

Anyone know of a suspected start date for those who have medicals in the coming month, assuming all goes well of course!

Anyone know of a suspected start date for those who have medicals in the coming month, assuming all goes well of course!

Late September was mentioned at the open day saturday

Can anyone find the actual beep test that we will be doing, all I find online just say beep test and I don't know if they are the same

• Advertisement

If you have an android download this
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.aspectica.bleep&hl=en

If not you can install it on the your laptop.

Wonder if anyone who done the medical could go through what happened and just give an account of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

Wonder if anyone who done the medical could go through what happened and just give an account of it ?

Go in nurse will meet you take a urine sample, do height weight and body fat % measurements. Then get you to blow into a tube for your lung capacity. Into a booth for a hearing test lasts 5-10 mins.

Up to the doctor who gives an eye test and a basic enough once over.

Tells you on the day if you passed or not.

Go in nurse will meet you take a urine sample, do height weight and body fat % measurements. Then get you to blow into a tube for your lung capacity. Into a booth for a hearing test lasts 5-10 mins.

Up to the doctor who gives an eye test and a basic enough once over.

Tells you on the day if you passed or not.

Cheers! Two more questions.
    Do they ask you much questions or is it literally just like a ln assembly belt in and out.
    How long did it take you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

Cheers! Two more questions.
    Do they ask you much questions or is it literally just like a ln assembly belt in and out.
    How long did it take you ?

They have you fill in a form when you first arrive just a few personal details and tick the box if you had any of a list of things wrong with you otherwise not many questions.

An hour if even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bigdizzle92

Anymore people get a phone call about meeting their local super? I still haven't heard anything

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Anymore people get a phone call about meeting their local super? I still haven't heard anything

Met my Sergeant last Thursday and met the Super yesterday

Haven't heard anything myself

Anyone been called this evening about meeting the sgt and super? Have a missed call from local number but they won't answer now

• Advertisement

Got my physical date, anyone else ?

Advertisement