Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski season 2017/2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Back from 2 weeks in Val D'isere. Week one was great with some good conditions all around. Start of week two was very promising with some nice powder dumps for Monday and Tuesday.

Then it all went pear shaped! Big storm on Wednesday meant all lifts closed after the first hour and remained **** the rest of the day due to high winds. Thursday turned in to an avalanche 5 risk so nothing open again for the day, reports of avalanches across a few roads also. it rained as well so this made Friday pretty crusty and wet below 2,000m but above that was pretty nice to finish off the two weeks :)

Now I just need to decide where to go for a few days Feb/March :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Just booked time off work, (hopefully) flying to Geneva, then probably to Chamonix for four days on the 20th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Heading to Morzine (Saint Jean d'Aulps) on the 27th.. I havnt been on the snow in two years so really looking forward to it.

Hopefully conditions keep up with a decent top up before we get there!!

If anyone is looking for flights SWISS from Dublin to Geneva were good and they take the ski/snowboards for free.

Heading to Morzine (Saint Jean d'Aulps) on the 27th.. I havnt been on the snow in two years so really looking forward to it.

Hopefully conditions keep up with a decent top up before we get there!!

If anyone is looking for flights SWISS from Dublin to Geneva were good and they take the ski/snowboards for free.

Do they fly direct?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

cormee wrote: »
    Do they fly direct?

I don’t think so this year. They did last year.
    I’m In Cham at the moment. We came over with Aer Lingus. One of the guys came with Swiss and had to go via Zurich. No fee for the carriage of the snowboard with swiss though.

Conditions here are good. It lashed rain last night in the town. Bit of snow up top. Today we were up in Le Tour. Pistes were ok. Vis wasn’t great this morning but it improved during the day. Had a fantastic afternoon laying fresh tracks off piste. There are still plenty of places with powder. Tomorrow depending on the lifts and weather it will be Brévent & Flégère.

I’m back in February for a week so it’s nice to get my legs back in snowboard mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Do they fly direct?

Yeah direct flights from Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Travelling to Austria via Munich on the 27th. Staying in Soll for 2 weeks but travelling to Saalbach, Fieberbrunn etc. Then on the 10th of March do another 2 weeks except based in Mayrhofen.

First time ever saying this but nothing is ready. Kit is all over the apartment and boards all need work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Looking like Mayrhofen from 3rd to 10th March, some accommodation craic to sort still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Travelling to Austria via Munich on the 27th. Staying in Soll for 2 weeks but travelling to Saalbach, Fieberbrunn etc. Then on the 10th of March do another 2 weeks except based in Mayrhofen.

First time ever saying this but nothing is ready. Kit is all over the apartment and boards all need work.

Very similar plan for us... Munich on 26th; Soll, St Johann, Kitzbuhel, Fieberbrunn/Saalbach then Zell Am See. Only for 10 days though :(

Did a season last year and to be honest, I think 4-6 weeks is an optimal time to go skiing for. Particularly Jan leading into Feb. The resorts are really on top of things ensuring slopes are in great nick for the mid-term. When mid-term hits though it's time to get out of there, we were doing 4-5 runs before 10am but once 10am hit and the crowds arrived it was just not worth it. You'd be lucky to get 4 runs in a day after that, queues everywhere, a lot of pushing, shoving and general aggression on the lifts and slopes. Took to splitboarding in quieter areas those two weeks of mid-term. We're planning to go back next year for a longer period and aiming for 4-6 weeks from Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm heading this weekend. I have been looking forward this since I got on the plane to come home from Soll 11 months ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just back heading again for the weekend on the 9th of March

blue note wrote: »
    I'm heading this weekend. I have been looking forward this since I got on the plane to come home from Soll 11 months ago!

Where are you going? Am heading to Chamonix on Saturday :D

Anyone got rental location recommendation for Mayrhofen and anyone know which ones include storage lockers at the top of the lift?

cormee wrote:
    Where are you going? Am heading to Chamonix on Saturday

Zell am see. Booked everything separately this year, so really hope everything is as expected. The chalet looks fantastic though, transfer it's relatively cheap and bringing us to the door. I'll be relaxed once I'm in the front door and bolting for the best room in the chalet!

I was looking at the snow forecast - due to get 18 inches between now and sunday. Now I know that on the snow site is not remotely accurate, but it would be nice if we get some of that at least!

I've heard Chamonix is a great resort. I'm sure you'll have a ball!

blue note wrote: »
    Zell am see. Booked everything separately this year, so really hope everything is as expected. The chalet looks fantastic though, transfer it's relatively cheap and bringing us to the door. I'll be relaxed once I'm in the front door and bolting for the best room in the chalet!

I was looking at the snow forecast - due to get 18 inches between now and sunday. Now I know that on the snow site is not remotely accurate, but it would be nice if we get some of that at least!

I've heard Chamonix is a great resort. I'm sure you'll have a ball!

Yeah it's fun alright, lots of great terrain, and conditions look fantastic. Enjoy Zell!

13 inches due on or first day skiing now. Am I thought in thinking that's a little bit too much snow? Might not be able to see much.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Vision is overrated in skiing, just go by feel.

Enjoy the fresh stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Spent over a week in Alpe D'Huez over the Christmas. Absolutely fantastic off-piste conditions, it snowed heavily nearly every day we were there. It did cause delays with lifts and pistes opening, and some days the visibility wasn't great. Everything was also closed on one day (my last day :mad:).

Never realised it was the biggest ski domain in the world until I was over there, but this hindered it if anything. Lots of runs, but they're spread out over such a big area, and as such there's quite a lot of gondolas that obviously require the removal of skis and whatnot. Would definitely go back for another round though, all that said.

Apres ski is also quite decent, a right few pubs and clubs for those that way inclined. If anyone wants any more info feel free to shoot me a pm.

Spent over a week in Alpe D'Huez over the Christmas. Absolutely fantastic off-piste conditions, it snowed heavily nearly every day we were there. It did cause delays with lifts and pistes opening, and some days the visibility wasn't great. Everything was also closed on one day (my last day :mad:).

Never realised it was the biggest ski domain in the world until I was over there, but this hindered it if anything. Lots of runs, but they're spread out over such a big area, and as such there's quite a lot of gondolas that obviously require the removal of skis and whatnot. Would definitely go back for another round though, all that said.

Apres ski is also quite decent, a right few pubs and clubs for those that way inclined. If anyone wants any more info feel free to shoot me a pm.

I’m heading there next month with my wife and kids. Staying over the Bergers side. Love to hear any info you have.

A foot of snow fell on my mountain yesterday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Going to Schladming next week!! EEEEEEKK. I've started packing already. Am very excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Rew wrote: »
    I’m heading there next month with my wife and kids. Staying over the Bergers side. Love to hear any info you have.

No problem. First things first, there's no need for a rental car if you were looking down that route. There are shuttle buses that are all free and go regularly enough, the timetables are found at each bus stop and online somewhere (also, the French for bus stop is Arret Navette when you're asking for directions to one, apparently 'le bus stop' doesn't cut it).

Make sure at some point you take your family on the lift AlpAuris (map linky), it's feckin briliant! Goes across a very steep valley. That side is also good for it's lack of queues, just not many slopes unfortunately. There's quite a decent green called eterlous that I imagine your kids/wife will love if they're at that level. Make sure to check the live map every morning actually! Headed up there one morning at 9 and was waiting until half 10 for a lift to open.

If any of ye are mainly looking at reds/blacks/off-piste, just head straight to the top of Pic Blanc and avoid coming back to Bergers/Les Jeux area - by far the busiest areas. I'm sure you've heard of the piste 'sarenne', at 16km it's the longest in Europe so they say, it's a lovely ski but it's only a black because of the length. Plenty of off-piste up there also. I mainly stuck to skiing from Pic Blanc down to Vaujany. It's a bit annoying having to get 3 different gondolas back up but I couldn't see a way of avoiding that really. La Fare is a good piste with opportunities for forest trails if that tickles your fancy. Tunnel is supposed to be an excellent piste but unfortunately it was closed most of the time I was over there due to the avalanche threat (was minimum 3/5 everyday). You should also know that the lifts on different parts of the mountain close at different times, although it is well sign-posted.

As for your lift pass, we booked it online before we flew over to avail of the group discount. Other than the discount there was no advantage to booking it online - there's no queue for collections. Booked the skis before we went as well but the shop we used is probably no good to you as it's in the Les Jeux area.

The town itself is lovely. There's an outdoor swimming pool on the main street (I think you can add it to the cost of the ski pass when booking online for around a fiver a day - we didn't thankfully, as it was closed everyday bar 1/2 due to the snow) and also a cinema a short walk away. The main street is Avenue Les Jeux and there you'll find most things - pharmacy, Spar, restaurants and an Irish pub! There are 2 other supermarkets in the town, including a Carrefour. Now I went over with 4 lads so I can't recommend you any places to eat unfortunately, we sort of just went wherever! Meals generally cost €15-20. Also Allo Papa Pizza do free delivery if you're ever snowed in. They feckin saved our lives there one day. Pizza is quite nice as well (€11 iirc) and they speak English.

Aside from that now I can't think of anything else. Sure if you've any questions at all feel free to PM me if I don't see/reply to them here. You'll have a great time! The people over there are lovely and there's a really nice vibe from the village. I'd absolutely love to be going back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Rew wrote: »
    Anyone got rental location recommendation for Mayrhofen and anyone know which ones include storage lockers at the top of the lift?

There is a rental location at the very bottom of the Penken gondola. It was a few years ago since I was there though and they have built a second gondola now.

There is also the most epic Apres Ski bar there called Eis Bar. Oh the memories. Would love to go back!

Currently packing for Chamonix tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

And just finished packing for a trip to La Plagne tomorrow, cannot wait:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Just back from Les Arcs 1950 last week. Awesome week with so much snow from the blizzards.. followed by blue skies. Wonderful.

Countdown on now to Sauze D'oux end of Feb. I just can't get enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Good luck ..snow is unbelievable at the moment..let's us know how it goes..I'm heading there on the 4th Feb..can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Now slightly worried by too much snow.

heading in less than two weeks.

Now 170cm in resort and 400cm up top.

Epic or not open!!

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    Good luck ..snow is unbelievable at the moment..let's us know how it goes..I'm heading there on the 4th Feb..can't wait!

I was there a week ago and it was great. I’m back out again in on the 03Feb for another week.
    Only Les Houches is open today. Everything else in the valley is closed due high avalanche risk. Houses in the higher parts of the valley have been told to leave due the high risk.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the trip report. Snow is mental there at the moment.

Advertisement