Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-06-2020, 10:12   #1
curious minds

Eviction Ban extended

Eviction Ban has been extended until July 20th

and possibly will be extended further ......due to political interests and games

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-39302355.html

What does this mean for the future of renting in Ireland?

Personally I have rented my house out for 6 months only as I went travelling and was planning to return and go back to my job in August.

Now this is no longer possible. I am a homeless homeowner.

It is the first time I am renting out.....I never expected to not be able to have my home back. Tenant has been a nightmare since the beginning and is refusing to leave. I do not want to evict illegally but I don't want to be homeless either.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-06-2020, 10:16   #2

Finally, long overdue!

When it comes to your situation, you made an investment/bet, it didnt pay off. Why where you betting in the first place?
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 10:24   #3
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by frw5 View Post
Finally, long overdue!

When it comes to your situation, you made an investment/bet, it didnt pay off. Why where you betting in the first place?
If investors don’t “bet”, where do you think rental properties would come from?
22-06-2020, 10:26   #4

I am not saying not to bet but If I made a bet I wouldn't cry afterwards why have I lost the bet.
The situation here is very clear.
And yes I would empathise with someone doing this to cover medical expenses but cant empathise with someone renting to go do something which clearly financially was out of their reach.
22-06-2020, 10:29   #5
JimmyVik

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious minds View Post

and possibly will be extended further ......due to political interests and games

Personally I have rented my house out for 6 months only as I went travelling and was planning to return and go back to my job in August.

It is the first time I am renting out.....I never expected to not be able to have my home back. Tenant has been a nightmare since the beginning and is refusing to leave. I do not want to evict illegally but I don't want to be homeless either.

I understand your frustration.

This is where they have been headed for years now.
Covid just gave them the excuse to do it.
This will be permanent soon enough.
And also you will not be able to sell a property with a tenant in it unless the tenant can stay during and after the sale.

I was looking at property investment for a few years now and it is just toxic in Ireland.
People are mad to rent out their property in Ireland, even if they think it will only be short term.

There may be a window between when Covid measures stoip and when they bring in permanent legislation that you can get your house back, but you probably should start the ball rolling and get a solicitor to show you how to prepare to get your house back right after covid.
Advertisement
22-06-2020, 10:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVik View Post
I was looking at property investment for a few years now and it is just toxic in Ireland.
And paying humongous rent because you havent inherited a fortune isn't toxic?
22-06-2020, 10:35   #7
Elessar

Quote:

I'm sorry for your troubles OP. Not to add to the bad news but you can bet your bottom dollar the ban will be extended until well into the new year, as it will be seen cruel not to so close to christmas.

It's a rock and a hard place for people like yourself. What does it mean for the future of renting? Most likely that REITs will be the vast majority of landlords as many smaller landlords will just leave the sector - well, that's if they can, the Green party's manifesto will be removing the grounds of selling a property as a valid reason for terminating a lease.
(4) thanks from:
22-06-2020, 10:36   #8
marieholmfan

Did your tenants sign a six month lease?

Quote:

Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 10:42   #9

I am by no means against a landlord profiting from renting, but they have went to an absolute extreme, they've overplayed their cards, they've pushed a large portion of people living in this country over the edge by insane high rents based on few bad experiences instead of making efforts to better control the bad tenants, something similar what was done with the car insurance industry.
It's about time they feel a strong push back.
Advertisement
22-06-2020, 10:49   #10
JimmyVik

Quote:
Originally Posted by frw5 View Post
And paying humongous rent because you havent inherited a fortune isn't toxic?

Whats that got to do with someone who rented out their house to someone for 6 months and cant get their house back after the 6 months?
I think you are being a bit toxic there yourself.
I dont know too many people who bought houses who have inherited a fortune, or anything for that matter.
Why do you think rents have been going up?
Would it be to do with it being uneconomical and toxic for landlords who are supplying them by any chance? Well they are being forced out. And that means rents wont be getting any cheaper. The opposite in fact. Be careful what you wish for. Youve got it.
22-06-2020, 10:50   #11
Graham

Mod Note

frw5, take the off-topic landlord bashing somewhere else.

Do not reply to this post.
22-06-2020, 10:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVik View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Youve got it.

You are right there, my rent got decreased, and look and behold the landlord is still alive and not generating loss.

I think I am on topic because this is a perfect example on how someone tried to use the situation to rent a property to go on a spending spree. It is a perfect example where this type of investment only reflects negatively on society. Luckily it seems we are slowly coming out of Dark Ages. Over and out.
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 10:58   #13
Xterminator

Quote:

Hi Op

first and foremost it is done to arrest tenants being made homeless. And that is not primarily political or games , they are people - each case is individual.

the covid situation is unique, and shutdown of the economy was a unique reaction to it. Due to covid. there are a lot of people not working - with only a basic income provided by the state.

Landlords business has been affected by covid. At least your business is 'open'. What about barbers and publicans etc. Often self employed, or small businesses with zero income. Forbidden to open their business doors.

I sympathise with your personal circumstance, but try a little social awareness.
22-06-2020, 11:01   #14
theteal

OP, what do you mean by you "do not want to evict illegally"? How do you think you could get them out?

If they're still paying the rent, you're not actually in a bad position. They could easily stop and it'll still take you an age to get them out. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
22-06-2020, 11:02   #15
Graham

Mod Note

frw5, do not post in this thread again.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size