Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-10-2020, 18:58   #31
Shepards Delight

After a soft day today in Claremorris we face a wet scenario of flooding and any remaining leaves to come off our trees .Halloween weather will bring alot of scary night time hours of rain but i don't think anybody be able to set off any fireworks this year they be rained off .
There is basically 24 hours between each weather front coming up . Meteorologists are saying we are in for a bit of respite as we come in to the new week so finally a bit of good news . Stay safe everybody . And dont forget to wear the mask this weekend .

Last edited by Shepards Delight; 29-10-2020 at 18:59. Reason: Spelling
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 19:03   #32

Hopefully it buckets down and washes the scum off the streets who cause mayhem every year around bonfires and the like.
(3) thanks from:
29-10-2020, 19:08   #33
lab man

Lads I bought a barometer there a week ago today has rained some amount but the barometer says it's at change towards fine weather
but the weather is promised for rain till monday next ? Amid I missing something. Btw I tap the glass each morning ?can ye help please
29-10-2020, 19:15   #34
DOCARCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab man View Post
Lads I bought a barometer there a week ago today has rained some amount but the barometer says it's at change towards fine weather
but the weather is promised for rain till monday next ? Amid I missing something. Btw I tap the glass each morning ?can ye help please
Weather tomorrow should be relatively ok. I'd say that's what the barometer is getting at.
29-10-2020, 20:17   #35
lab man

Are they usually fairly accurate ?
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 20:30   #36
M.T. Cranium

I have one like that, lab man ... they are a rough guide at best, it can rain in some situations at higher pressures than the range where "fair" is indicated, and it can clear out at lower pressures if you get into a dry slot in a complex of low pressure. A better indicator is whether your barometer after a tap is on the rise, steady or falling. With a rise you should be seeing improved conditions, with a fall there is usually rain (or snow) on the way, and with a steady barometer whatever you've currently got is likely to remain in place.

Might want to check that your barometer is set to your local "sea level" pressure, what's your elevation above sea level and rough location? One of us could let you know what your barometer should be reading. There's usually a screw in the back somewhere that lets you adjust the reading. This would be a good time to check as pressure trend is not changing very quickly.

(will post more on the actual weather situation in a few minutes, just checking some recent updates)
(3) thanks from:
29-10-2020, 20:36   #37
lab man

I'm living right on the shannon estuary about 50 / 100 above sea level yes a rough guide is all I want there is a skrew on the back
Thanks for your help

Last edited by lab man; 29-10-2020 at 20:41.
29-10-2020, 20:57   #38
M.T. Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab man View Post
I'm living right on the shannon estuary about 50 / 100 above sea level yes a rough guide is all I want there is a skrew on the back
Thanks for your help
Okay so your barometer at present should be reading 1001 mbs or 29.55" ... and if you happen to check a bit later, it should be slowly rising to reach a peak around 29.8" tomorrow mid-day, then it should fall to around 29.3" late Friday night. If you seem to be in that range you don't need to adjust.

At your elevation your actual air pressure is just slightly lower than sea level pressure. All the weather stations and weather maps you might see anywhere are converted to sea level pressures. Somebody living high up on a hill could have as much as an inch or 30 mbs lower "actual" pressure but if their instrument is set at the actual pressure it will range lower than the design values for "fair, change and stormy" or whatever they show.

-----------------------------

Meanwhile, had a look at latest guidance ... Zeta was whistling along even a bit faster than yesterday's model guidance had shown, the ragged centre just left the U.S. mainland around Ocean City MD ... model consensus seems to be that the core of Zeta's energy will remain intact for 48-60 hours and zoom past Donegal Bay late overnight Saturday into Sunday morning, probably leading to a peak in wind speeds from midnight to 0600h on the west coast. Before that, the low forming up in the middle of the Atlantic now will be bringing an interval of strong winds Saturday morning, these will veer westerly for a time, and some clearing will develop later Saturday, a brief break in the strong winds could mark the passage of a very weak ridge before Zeta's remains arrive.

The supporting upper low is trying to keep up but is falling behind and will force a secondary low to form in the same zone as Zeta runs through, that second low will never totally develop and will remain a trailing wave but we need to keep an eye on that plus the final stage of low pressure dropping southeast on Monday.

Still some potential for any of these to develop an intense band of strong winds as the jet stream is quite compressed. Will probably just be a long term disturbed period of weather with mostly level one alert conditions and the occasional localized level two (or orange alert if you prefer).
29-10-2020, 21:21   #39
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Bravo View Post
Our Meteorologist's Commentary regarding the scary Halloween weather on the way has been updated and is available here...

https://t.co/ktXtWjbfIg
Is it just me or are the two streamline animations in the Howling Hallowe'en discussion not loading?
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 21:23   #40
Oscar Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
Is it just me or are the two streamline animations in the Howling Hallowe'en discussion not loading?
not loading here also.
29-10-2020, 21:34   #41
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Bravo View Post
not loading here also.
Now they're working...
Thanks from:
29-10-2020, 21:55   #42
lab man

Cranium , it was at 1010. So have it changed to 1002 so looking forward to seeing how it goes
1 thing though the black hand does seem a bit loose thanks lab man
29-10-2020, 23:09   #43
Meteorite58

The weather systems and the remnants of Zeta have to cover a huge distance at a rate of knots. A lot of uncertainty about track and strength. Gerry mentioning after the news that possibly stormy and high rainfall accumulations possible and to keep an eye on the warnings which will be updated tomorrow...

29-10-2020, 23:13   #44
s1ippy
Banned

What's after the Greek alphabet?

There really have been a tonne of storms this year.
29-10-2020, 23:23   #45
Meteorite58

Latest ICON holding track and strength similar to the last run ( a tad stronger on this run in general I would think ) .

ARPEGE starting to look more like ECM and ICON on the latest run. ICON not showing as much rainfall as ARPEGE

EURO 4 starting to take on the same track and strength.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion