Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-11-2020, 23:41   #46
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
It would affect an aircraft's actual altitude above obstacles. If flying from high pressure to low, your actual altitude is decreasing despite your altimeter reading the same. If not careful, you could inadvertently fly into an obstacle which would have been well below your altitude when you were in the higher pressure zone. Every hPa is a difference of around 27 feet, so that difference of 26 hPa means you'd be flying 700 ft lower in 999 hPa than you would in 1025 hPa.

The saying goes "Flying from high to low, watch out below".
Thank you. Such skills needed up there. Deeply awed!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-11-2020, 23:44   #47
Graces7

Easing pleasurably.

This is the third gale/wind -loud night in a row here.
N./NW sounds quite different from S/Sw.

west mayo offshore
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2020, 01:29   #48
highdef

Had to travel to the office in Dublin earlier in the evening. Left around 23:00. Was breezy but nothing out of the ordinary. Got back home to North Kildare about half an hour later. Wind a little stronger as I am exposed to a westerly (sheltered from most directions bar anything with "west" in it). Was windy but certainly not a gale. I'd say gusts were up to force 8 with the odd one up to force 9. Winds have eased off a good bit now. Mean speeds would be at higher end of strong breeze with gusts generally around near gale force, the odd one maybe touching gale force 8.

My nearest weather station is Dunsany (Meath) and average winds for the 00:00 report were force 5 with gusts of force 7 (high end of). It's fairly sheltered there so looking at the 01:00 reports at Dublin Airport (where it's very exposed) the average winds were touching force 7 with gusts at the high end of force 8. This Dublin report would be fairly similar to the conditions at my north Kildare location around the same time.

In short, it's a fairly typical windy late autumn strong Atlantic low scenario but the lack of stronger than average winds for the past could make it seem stronger than it is for some people.
Case in point: Across the whole country there are currently 6 ESB breakdowns showing up on the ESB Power Check website with about 400 customers in total affected. If this was an actual storm (with storm force winds), we would have dozens upon dozens of power cuts affecting thousands or tens of thousands of customers.

Last edited by highdef; 19-11-2020 at 01:35.
19-11-2020, 02:51   #49
Pops_20

Not a puff of wind all day in Cork City. I was waiting all night for the wind warning only to learn that it was already over.
Thanks from:
19-11-2020, 04:46   #50
Graces7

Petering out nicely out here but still snarling strong winds, and a bitter, winter chill biting.

west mayo offshore
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-11-2020, 10:00   #51
OldRio

We lost electricity in the area at about 2130hrs for 20mins. Very Windy evening indeed.
South Leitrim.
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2020, 10:56   #52
pauldry

Top Gusts were

Mace Hd 102kph
Newport 100kph

Sligo about 80 to 90kph

Back Garden 51.5kph
(3) thanks from:
19-11-2020, 12:55   #53
axe2grind

East Wicklow, lost power last night (back this morning) and trees down. It seemed to be NW winds instead of the usual S or SW and this seemed to have more of an impact than some stronger winds earlier this autumn
(2) thanks from:
20-11-2020, 05:10   #54
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe2grind View Post
East Wicklow, lost power last night (back this morning) and trees down. It seemed to be NW winds instead of the usual S or SW and this seemed to have more of an impact than some stronger winds earlier this autumn
Yes the wind direction affects differently.

Most of the houses nearest northern facing Atlantic shore here are either " back to the north", or where I live, gable end to the north ( built 150 years ago many of them. )

What they call " vernacular architecture"

They even(!) set the chimneys for the prevailing winds. Getting the stove to light in a northerly....
Because although most of the winds are s/sw, when the northerlies come in they are stronger and fiercer. And colder...

Wish I could measure wind speeds out here .
Advertisement
20-11-2020, 05:20   #55
bassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Yes the wind direction affects differently.

Most of the houses nearest northern facing Atlantic shore here are either " back to the north", or where I live, gable end to the north ( built 150 years ago many of them. )

What they call " vernacular architecture"

They even(!) set the chimneys for the prevailing winds. Getting the stove to light in a northerly....
Because although most of the winds are s/sw, when the northerlies come in they are stronger and fiercer. And colder...

Wish I could measure wind speeds out here .
What time do you rise grace
20-11-2020, 05:53   #56
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassy View Post
What time do you rise grace
;lol... I am up when I wake which tends to be very very early. Free agent so can sleep etc when I want. (Family in Canada so live by their time for phone calls eetc)

The wind woke me tonight... Back to sleep now. Still snug abed anyways
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion