Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland at the 41st World Chess Olympiad Tromsø 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 prey

lineups and board order per chess-results site

62. IRL (RtgAvg:2448, Captain:O’CONNOR Jonathan)
    Bo. Name Rtg FED
    1 GM BABURIN Alexander 2502 IRL
    2 IM COLLINS Sam E. 2488 IRL
    3 IM HEIDENFELD Mark 2382 IRL
    4 IM ASTANEH LOPEZ Alex 2419 IRL
    5 FM DALY Colm 2333 IRL

89. IRL (RtgAvg:1840, Captain:O GRADY Gary P.)
    Bo. Name Rtg FED
    1 MIRZA Diana 1799 IRL
    2 WCM UI LAIGHLEIS Gearoidin 1848 IRL
    3 WFM MENON JAYADEV Poornima 1918 IRL
    4 WFM LOWRY-O`REILLY Hannah 1731 IRL
    5 WCM KRUK Karina 1795 IRL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

When does the round 1 draw go up? Or has it been made already?

I see Colm doing his best for team spirit by having yet another huge rant on his blog, about team captain this time.

Also, Sam really is tantalisingly close to that GM title. Could he do it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

cdeb wrote: »

I see Colm doing his best for team spirit by having yet another huge rant on his blog, about team captain this time.

Also, Sam really is tantalisingly close to that GM title. Could he do it here?

If he gets a GM norm here, his rating should also go above 2500 which would give him the title

Or so I am told

Yeah, I'd be fairly sure that'd be the case alright. (I know it's theoretically possible; I was more wondering if he actually will be a GM in a fortnight's time)

Even going above the 2500 mark at any stage in the tournament would be a huge boost. So a good start would be very nice; tick off the 2500 requirement for once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Ciaran

If it's just done on the seedings here, we get Chinese Taipei I think. They're pretty weak so maybe Sam would be rested for that one?

• Advertisement

I guess Sam should probably get rested for the first round anyway, as it's going to be someone around that level. A 1900/2000 wouldn't be a great start when average rating is a factor for the norm alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 prey

board order now amended
    62. IRL (RtgAvg:2450, Captain:O'CONNOR Jonathan)
    Bo. Name Rtg FED
    1 GM Baburin Alexander 2502 IRL
    2 IM Collins Sam E. 2495 IRL
    3 IM Astaneh Lopez Alex 2419 IRL
    4 IM Heidenfeld Mark 2382 IRL
    5 FM Daly Colm 2323 IRL
    89. IRL (RtgAvg:1824, Captain:O'GRADY Gary)
    Bo. Name Rtg FED
    1 WFM MENON JAYADEV Poornima 1935 IRL
    2 MIRZA Diana 1734 IRL
    3 WFM LOWRY-O`REILLY Hannah 1731 IRL
    4 WCM UI LAIGHLEIS Gearoidin 1830 IRL
    5 WCM KRUK Karina 1795 IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Opening ceremony about to start...

316786.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

1st Round in the Open is Ireland versus Chinese Taipei. Alex Baburin has been rested so Sam Collins has white against a 1920.

Videos from Tromso are going up on youtube as well...

• Advertisement

Live feeds (with live stockfish analysis) for the Irish games here. That's one nice web interface. Puts the default DGT stuff to shame.

Ireland's women's team up against Azerbaijan. Unseeded, so really anything other than a whitewash would be a good result.

Interesting to see Sam playing. Up against a 1920 - what does that mean for his GM chances? Isn't there some quirk around games against players significantly lower than you?

Games start at 2pm Irish time.

Here's the women's team games.

Hannah rested for the opener.

I know women's titles are almost two a penny, but is this the most number of titled players we've ever sent in the delegation? (Nine of the ten)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

You can round up 1 opponents rating for norm purposes.

IM - can round up to 2050
    GM - can round up to 2200

I would guess the Chinese Tapei team could be very young and as a result underrated but you would expect 4 -0. For the rest of tournament tho should Ireland try and give Sam the best chance possible of getting over 2500 and a GM norm by giving him as many whites as possible?

I am guessing Diana is board 2 to make it easier to pick up a title as she is surely the strongest player on the team!?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

It's quite surprising Taiwan are so weak given that China are so strong now (8th seeds). I wonder why that is?

Magnus Carlsen is taking a rest this round too.

EnPassant wrote: »
    It's quite surprising Taiwan are so weak given that China are so strong
    Feck, don't say that where anyone from either of those two countries can hear you, you'll start a riot :D

I am guessing Diana is board 2 to make it easier to pick up a title as she is surely the strongest player on the team!?
    Is there an equivalent of the LCU's 150 point rule at all?

Poormina's FIDE rating is 201 points higher than Diana's. That might explain board order.

I'm presuming there has to be some regulation around the order you can select.

Livetream coverage up here now...

Everyone's been told to take their seats apparently, so it's about to get underway.

That video is running in the top corner of the main site as well.

Not entirely sure why things aren't underway yet? Bit strange!

• Advertisement

1. h4 on board 4 against Colm Daly FM. Can't imagine he was prepared for that!

Edit - board has changed now; it seems a normal Sicilian was played instead. Gremlins in the works.

Don't think there's a single opening I play among the eight games.

Sam's rating is listed as 2495 - wow! It must put a lot of pressure on these games. He might go up a point if he wins (+0.8) but losing would drop him (-9.2) right back down. That 2500 mark isn't an easy task. Let's hope he brings his form from the Irish Championships.

Two curious sacs have us in big trouble on both the white boards in the women's match against Azerbaijan. Not sure what Diana in particular saw. Gearóidín also a fair bit worse; only Poormina level.

First result in - Diana loses. Looking like Gearóidín, Karina and Colm's opponent could follow shortly.

Sam's opponent has finally blundered on move 24, dropping a pawn to a tactic. Hopefully Sam can take the point home from here; looks like quite a frustrating start to the tournament. Can't imagine it's nice to be thinking about a GM norm and then a 1900 puts up a good fight against you.

Colm's opponent could follow shortly.

Computer's first recommendation for white is to give up a knight for nothing, second choice is to give up a queen for nothing! I think that game is over.

Edit: mate in 2 now.

Nice little smothered mate on Gearóidín's board; 2-0 down there now. Almost certain to end 4-0.

Colm missed the mate in 2, surprisingly, but his move was mate in 15 - involving giving up stupid amounts of material - and his opponent resigned anyway.

How is the scoring done? Is it team points or sum of individual scores?

Match win = 2 points
    Match draw = 1 points
    Match loss = 0 points

Doesn't matter if you win 4-0 or 2½-1½; you get two points.

Really daft system. Though I think the leagues here are one of the few remaining to use game points.

Alex Lopez a pawn up with a strong attack.

• Advertisement

Azerbaijan 4-0 Ireland is a result.

Mark Heidenfeld the only game stopping a 4-0 win against Chinese Taipei, it seems.

Advertisement