Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland at the 41st World Chess Olympiad Tromsø 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭brianhere

Sam's opponent, fortunately for him, swapped queen's so now its anybody's game. Baburin has so many attacking options now its crazy, although there is no material advantage he has nonetheless destroyed his opponent really. Mark has become a sacrificeaholic, this time a pawn, I guess it will work but risky? Colm is motoring nicely and I think might win alright.

http://www.orwellianireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Look like Colm will drop the extra pawn and it should be level. Sam's game looks level too.

Baburin and Heidenfeld look like they will win.

Women's section: I'm not sure why Poornima didn't take the free pawn on move 21. She seems to be drawing but has chances.

Seems level for Hannah though I prefer her position.

Gearoidin and Karina seems like they will lose. So hopefully Hannah and Porrnima can pull a win and Gearoidin or Karina can get some points too!

I think Colm might come up with some way of saving that pawn, or attacking another one in exchange, yet? But yes I think Mark will win and I guess Sam will draw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Baburin and Heidenfeld confirmed as having won; 2-0 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sparks wrote: »
    That makes even less sense - an unrated FIDE player getting a fool's mate on a 1900 rated FIDE player?!?!?! Someone check if the leads on that board are all plugged in :D

Checking the site again, it seems they had the sides reversed originally; it now shows the 1900 FIDE player delivering Fool's Mate rather than receiving it which makes slightly more sense. Maybe the leads really did need jiggling!

• Advertisement

Yes and I still think Colm could add another win although I admit its tricky and I dont understand his last knight move (which is probably because its too deep for me!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

brianhere wrote: »
    Yes and I still think Colm could add another win although I admit its tricky and I dont understand his last knight move (which is probably because its too deep for me!).

The site says Colm's opponent ran out of time..

Did he win? or is this another site error?

If his opponent still has time, it does look like he dropped a pawn.

Sparks wrote: »
    Checking the site again, it seems they had the sides reversed originally; it now shows the 1900 FIDE player delivering Fool's Mate rather than receiving it which makes slightly more sense. Maybe the leads really did need jiggling!
    Still surprising though. You don't go to the Olympiad without knowing Fool's Mate. Certainly not on board 2. I remember in 2010, a Benildus player played against the Seychelles' board 4, who didn't seem to be aware what capturing was. Here's what happened. Good fun!

reunion wrote: »
    The site says Colm's opponent ran out of time..

Did he win? or is this another site error?
    It does that every now and again. I think it gets confused around the 40-move mark in particular (because of the added 30 minutes)

I'd imagine they're still playing.

Edit - two big blunders from Colm, it seems. Must check into what he missed exactly. Moves 39 and 40; maybe time trouble played a part.

Draws for Poormina and Sam.

Rook endings is hard.

• Advertisement

Presumably Colm agreed a draw too so that's 3-1 to us, a great result and hopefully they will go on from there!

Colm has a clear advantage now; should be a 3½-½ win.

Sorry spoke too soon so, then his opponent must have spent absolutely ages on that move or it was a glitch again?

Glitch around the extra 30 minutes, I think. Seems common enough for some reason. Adding 30 to things must be complicated

Might get a 1-3 defeat in the women's, though looking more like ½-3½. Depends if Karina can hold on a pawn down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Zugszwang

Daly is winning. As regards his "blunders" on move 39 and 40, that's technically correct given the Stockfish evaluations, but the position was very tricky to play for both sides and I think his finishing is quite smooth.

Poor Sam. His plan culminating in the Bxg2 tactic looked like it would give him wriggle room to play for a win, but it didn't. It's just not been his tournament so far.

Karina takes a draw by repetition; 3-1 the final result against Chile. More or less according to ratings.

It's up now, Colm won so 3 1/2 to 1/2 and a great result! Colm's was the same as the last day in that he wobbled a bit about the 40 mark I think, meaning he could have kept pressing at that point but retreated a bit too soon? Whereas the final few moves were inch perfect. Sam must be suffering from déjà vu at this stage because his games seem to end much the same way!

So far Colm and Sam, the current and former Irish champions, remain unbeaten.

Another weak team in round 5; Jamaica, whose top board is 2164. Really should be a 4-0 (and I know whitewashes are hard!)

Palestine for the women's team; also weak, with a 1410 on board 1. So hopefully looking at two 4-0s to start moving us up the table.

Aims at this stage really have to be getting Sam back to breakeven in terms of rating points, and a title for Diana. The latter requires just a 50% score I think?

It may be blasphemy to say this but I don't think that getting norms for an individual should even be a priority for an Irish team? There are other competitions they could go to to get that aren't there whereas this is the biggest, and only every two years, Irish team chess event? I think it should only be about the team and getting the best overall result that they can...

You could look at it that way alright.

I just guess that as we're a fairly mundane, stuck in the middle, nation in these things, a good 50th place finish isn't much different to a poor 70th place, whereas a title is more notable. I'm unbeaten against titled players I think. A draw against a CM and a WCM, and a win against two WCMs.

(Actually, you can add in a win against Poormina, a win and draw against David Fitzsimons and a 60+ move defeat against Sam Collins, all before they were titled.)

In conclusion - yay for more titled players I could maybe sneak a result off! :)

• Advertisement

Coming home with the first Irish-born GM would be the best result the team could have gotten. I mean, they're sixty-second in the seeding and the top ten teams are entirely composed of GMs whose lowest rating is higher than our team's sole GM's rating. A measure of pragmatism and realism is called for here. If they pushed as hard as they could competitively, and moved up twenty places from seeding (and I think we're into the realm of fiction there), then on their return home, outside of the chess community nobody would notice (seriously, they don't know they're gone, why would they notice their return?).

But you come home with Ireland's first native GM and you're on the six-one news and that raises awareness levels and that makes funding easier to find and makes it that bit easier to get ISC recognition and so on. That's worth more than being ranked forty-second, in just about every way.

Brief bit on the Fool's Mate game here (in Norwegian; let google translate the page), but no real answers as to what happened. It seems the arbiters are looking into the game to see if anything untoward happened - either the player was messing (possibly helping someone get a step closer a title?) or throwing the game for another reason.

Can't imagine board 2 of Zimbabwe v Togo in the Women's Chess Olympiad draws huge bets down the bookies.

But you say its about the grandmaster title etc but any Irish Olympiad I have been following has gone the same way with all the talk of shuffling boards around so x or y can get a norm and I think its a mentality that is devaluing the Irish effort here. Can you get a norm even at Bunratty these days? Why use this competition like that, I don't see other teams talking that way?

I think they should stamp it out completely and say you cannot change boards, as in play people and not others, for that reason fullstop. I think its a team event and you are trying to get the best result.

The Olympiad is definitely the standard that everybody uses to judge where Irish chess is at, what other one is there? I don't think having an Irish grandmaster is going to be six-one news to be honest, whereas if we ever beat a leading team at the Olympiad I think it would be a headline event and its always possible someday.

Thats of course while I hope, and expect, Sam to get the title soon enough.

I think its a team event and you are trying to get the best result.

Exactly, and the best result here - for Irish Chess - would be Sam getting his title. If that means the rest have to take one for the team on this outing... well, frankly, that's why the only I in team is in the A-hole.

7466436208_b5859e43da_z.jpg
    I don't think having an Irish grandmaster is going to be six-one news to be honest
    In the middle of silly season.
    When they're desperate for any good home news at all.
    Yeah, I'm gonna disagree with your assessment there.
    whereas if we ever beat a leading team at the Olympiad I think it would be a headline event and its always possible someday.
    Shy of picking a fistfight with Magnus Carlsen in front of the cameras, I don't think we're beating any of the top teams for the next few years at least...

Well even if winning the GM was going to be headline news it would probably be bigger news if it happened at somewhere like Bunratty where RTE could film it hence we can wait till then. Messing around this team like that I think is devaluing Irish chess a bit, we are going to be judged on this result. For the next two years Irish chess is 50th in the world or 110th or whatever and yes I think that does matter.

Well even if winning the GM was going to be headline news it would probably be bigger news if it happened at somewhere like Bunratty where RTE could film it hence we can wait till then.
    Yeah, if we could predict it that well, we wouldn't be talking about a competition, would we?
    Messing around this team like that I think is devaluing Irish chess a bit, we are going to be judged on this result.
    By whom, exactly?
    For the next two years Irish chess is 50th in the world or 110th or whatever and yes I think that does matter.
    Jump off the top of the empire state building, then jump off the 50th floor and tell me if there's any real difference between 100th and 50th :)

Unless we're in the top 10 or so, it's not news. A new GM on the other hand, especially the first one born here, that's news. And if you want to grow Irish Chess, instead of just pushing one or two people, that's something to seek.

Can you get a norm even at Bunratty these days?
    Not in the main tournament anyway; never could. It's not FIDE rated if nothing else. Think it's possible in the Classic though.
    I don't think having an Irish grandmaster is going to be six-one news to be honest, whereas if we ever beat a leading team at the Olympiad I think it would be a headline event and its always possible someday.
    I don't know if either are likely to make the news tbh. Did Sam's draw with Grischuk make it four years ago? That was one of the biggest results ever for Irish chess.

I'll blaspheme too and say I don't think titles are a huge deal either way for Irish chess. If someone's interested, they can find their local club very easily on the internet now. But I think - in Leinster anyway - there's still a huge disconnect between various sections of the game. The Schools' leagues have no link with the Leinster Junior Championships that I can see, and neither have a link with the Leinster leagues. There's no beginners tournament for adults looking to take up the game. There's loads of parents standing around rooms during junior tournaments when they could be being encouraged to play as well. All that's silly (and why I wanted to run for LCU committee, though I've just gone through the Junior Committee to try bring about changes there instead)

Don't want to come across like I'm dismissing your view outright btw! Just two slightly different way of looking at things. Obviously finishing as high up as we can is always nice.

For the next two years Irish chess is 50th in the world or 110th or whatever and yes I think that does matter.
    Actually, this is one thing I will disagree with you on. Where did we finish in the last Olympiad? I can't remember. In fact, on this thread, I referred to Sam's draw with Grischuk and got the year wrong (it wasn't 2012, it was 2010). Hasn't affected my game or that of anyone else I know.

I do agree news coverage can make a difference to the game alright. Fischer v Spassky is the best example, when the LCU went up to eight divisions and 100+ teams I think (per Denis Dempsey at the LCU AGM this year)

cdeb wrote: »
    I don't know if either are likely to make the news tbh. Did Sam's draw with Grischuk make it four years ago? That was one of the biggest results ever for Irish chess.
    Yeah, but it's hard to sell a headline like "Our best (native) player got a draw with this really successful Russian grand master - no, not Kasparov, a different one you haven't heard of before".

If the general public knew much about chess and its history and the current people playing it, then yeah, you'd make the news with that story but you also wouldn't need to. Instead they know of names like Fischer and Kasparov, but they probably heard of Kasparov for the Deep Blue matches and thought he was still the world champion until they heard of Carlsen and they probably heard of Carlsen through the GQ modelling contract first and only remember him because he looks like he can't grow a beard yet :D It's a heavy understatement to say the scene surrounding the game is not all that well known outside of those playing it (and to be fair, its not even that well known inside those playing it, it's only a small core of people who really know the scene - I had to google Grischuk and I'll bet I wasn't alone).

On the other hand, "Ireland's first grand master" is a headline everyone can at least pretend to understand and they'll know what you're talking about (even if it's a bit of a slap for Baburin). And in the middle of silly season, with everything down to the Healy-Raes yelling impotently at burglars making it into the papers, that headline would be eaten alive by the media at this time of year, and even after silly season ends, it's still a fairly easy sell.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, today's games are (allegedly :D ) up here...

Advertisement