Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmet Debate - This time on a segway?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

They worked out well in the airport, makes sense to have them in the city center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Mobility scooters that the old folk use don't require any credentials.

I would classify Segways in that bracket.

I think there is a statute that specifically refers to a 'mechanically propelled bicycle', which is clearly what this is (two wheels, motor). So yeah, you can't use one of these on the footpath and you would need a license and insurance.
    Sorry, it's the law, no exceptions!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MrScootch wrote: »
    I think there is a statute that specifically refers to a 'mechanically propelled bicycle', which is clearly what this is (two wheels, motor). So yeah, you can't use one of these on the footpath and you would need a license and insurance.
    Sorry, it's the law, no exceptions!
    :)
    Most of the electric scooters on the road don't require screeds if they don't exceed a certain KW output.

I am not sure about these things, I would certainly not want to be on one of these things doing more than 15 mph if I hit a solid object on the ground or a pot hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Most of the electric scooters on the road don't require screeds if they don't exceed a certain KW output.

I am not sure about these things, I would certainly not want to be on one of these things doing more than 15 mph if I hit a solid object on the ground or a pot hole.
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1728&Lang=1

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

I wonder about their legal status too as much of our legislation "parallels" its UK counterpart. According to the Irish Times report on their introduction, they are only legal in the UK on private property where permission has been granted. It seems that EU regulations preclude their use on roads.

Step away from that Segway Guard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I think the rule with regard to ins. etc. depends on whether it's propelled or assisted.

Advertisement