Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmet Debate - This time on a segway?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Setting a good example maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If only Jimi Heselden had been wearing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

According to Segways Irish website the police version goes for €7,350 - how many bikes could the DCBA have bought for that without the Guards looking like d1ckheads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Jawgap wrote: »
    According to Segways Irish website the police version goes for €7,350 - how many bikes could the DCBA have bought for that without the Guards looking like d1ckheads!

There would be no headlines in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

Well they're wearing the high viz jackets, they're riding on footpads.

Surely then, the helmets only complete the look !!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

You can image them drawing lots down at Pearse St. Garda station not to be assigned to one of those things:
    20090129_segways_560x375.jpg
    (It's crying out for a McSavage voice over)

rp wrote: »
    You can image them drawing lots down at Pearse St. Garda station not to be assigned to one of those things:
    (It's crying out for a McSavage voice over)

Only those given the 'special training' are allowed use them - the Guards who didn't p1$$ off the inspector get to go without the training and use cars and bikes!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

I noticed one of the motorcycle cops at the marathon the other day was riding an '04 Honda.
    2004!!!

I've heard they can't even get the knackered squad cars replaced.
    WTF is going on around here!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well they're wearing the high viz jackets, they're riding on footpads.

Surely then, the helmets only complete the look !!

Came up behind a cyclist yesterday evening with no lights but a high viz in Blanchardstown, it was a garda. Maybe someone stole his lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Paid for by 'local business'.

• Advertisement

Limestone1 wrote: »

I wonder what DBCA stands for?

Limestone1 wrote: »

Could've paid for a lot more bikes than segways......

....anyway apparently the ERU got them aswell:D

segway-anti-terror_684090n.jpg

Are the baddies obliged to install the surface or is there a PreRU that has that job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

What's wrong with running after a "perp"?

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    What's wrong with running after a "perp"?

Messes up your hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

they catch the baddies as they are rolling around on the floor laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I remember the guided tours in the Phoenix Park on Segways: all hi-viz and helmets. I presume that at this stage that any activity in English-speaking countries that involves motion and that isn't walking, running or travelling in a four-wheeled vehicle is going to be accompanied by a strong recommendation to make yourself very visible and wear head protection.

I can see why in bureaucratic terms this is an attractive default position, but it's absurd quite a lot of the time.

I also think Segways are somewhat absurd as well, unless you're constitutionally unsuited to mild exercise of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

What is the Segway operator allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

I wonder what DBCA stands for?

Dublin City Business Association (www.dcba.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Remember that they are mechanically propelled vehicles and need driver's licence, insurance and tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Victor wrote: »
    Remember that they are mechanically propelled vehicles and need driver's licence, insurance and tax.

Mobility scooters that the old folk use don't require any credentials.

I would classify Segways in that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MrScootch wrote: »

I noticed one of the motorcycle cops at the marathon the other day was riding an '04 Honda.
    2004!!!

170 new cars have just been bought

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MrScootch wrote: »

2004!!!

170 new cars have just been bought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I don't see what advantage a Segway has over a mobility scooter/wheelchair thing. What kind of speed can these things do? I can see how a squadcar can be useful for getting around, and using bikes in town seems like a great way of getting around quickly when you need to. Walking the beat keeps a visible Garda presence. The Garda horses are useful for crowd control and look impressive.

What gap do these Segway things fill? Are they there to help the Guards catch perps on other mobility scooters? I just don't get it. I'm worried the next thing will be some kind of Garda Facebook addon. "Garda O'Hoolihy has set your status to 'In Custody'".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Why is this thread in the Cycling forum?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

check_six wrote: »
    What gap do these Segway things fill? Are they there to help the Guards catch perps on other mobility scooters? I just don't get it.
    According to the Segway website:
    Innovative - The Segway Patroller allows officers to create innovative community policing programs and better connect with the residents they serve
    Mobile - It instantly enhances mobility which enables officers to conserve energy and do more rounds in less time than walking the beat
    Visible - It improves visibility. Officers can oversee a larger area and be seen, which implies a stronger police presence and helps to deter crime
    Flexible – A Segway Patroller can be used both inside and outside. It allows officers to do everything from calmly manage crowds to quickly respond to emergency situations
    Green – Segway Patrollers are a leading green transportation initiative, boast zero-emissions and take up less space than cruisers or motorcycles, all with an operational cost of less than a penny per mile
    But it may be, that in the US at least, all those doughnuts haven taken their toll, and the police are no longer physically capable of patrolling on foot or bike.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I think we should split the forum - The main one (410) can be for Segway helmet debates, and everything else can go in a sub-forum ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

rp wrote: »
    According to the Segway website

Is there any of those that don't apply to a bike?

Eamonnator wrote: »

According to the Paper of Record.....

"The gardaí who will be taking to the streets with the Segways are all trained pedal cyclists, who went through a two-day training programme for the new machines."

Two days of training for a segway?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Two days of training for a segway?!?!?
    That's presumably on the basis they've already trained for a month on how to ride a bike;)

Advertisement