Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Fitzpatrick to get off Scott Free

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Charge state money for services provided. Money leaves exchequer.
    Solicitor pays taxes on the money earned for services provided. Some money returns to exchequer.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,201 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

valoren wrote: »
    Charge state money for services provided. Money leaves exchequer.
    Solicitor pays taxes on the money earned for services provided. Some money returns to exchequer.

:D

52% of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Cyrus wrote: »
    highest fees ever paid using what metric?

3 times the average not the standard,

should messi be paid the average wage for a la liga footballer?

Messi delivers on a football pitch - star player for top team and country , scoring 500 top level goals - if he does not deliver he would be shipped out to Bolton or somewhere on a fraction of his current wages - proper order.

These Senior councils did not deliver a result , my main issue is given they were paid top rates , by the State (Tax-payers) , why did they not flag the problem with the ODCE method of gaining information earlier and prevent the lengthy expensive trial continuing - as a taxpayer I want to know why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Guess how you become a senior counsel?

thebaz wrote: »
    Messi delivers on a football pitch - star player for top team and country , scoring 500 top level goals - if he does not deliver he would be shipped out to Bolton or somewhere on a fraction of his current wages - proper order.

These Senior councils did not deliver a result , my main issue is given they were paid top rates , by the State (Tax-payers) , why did they not flag the problem with the ODCE method of gaining information earlier and prevent the lengthy expensive trial continuing - as a taxpayer I want to know why ?

How do you know they didn’t

the Irish Times are running a story that Seanies barristerS fees were being paid 3,000 a day plus a 40k brief fee - record rates !!! - Was the state picking up this fee ?? - if so , I have a serious issue with this.
    3rd question, which still has not been answered.... why the huge legal fee?
    I assume it's because of the incredibly intense volume of work that was required in this case.

I happened to be in the courts on another matter one day, and popped into the Sean FitzPatrick trial hearing. The first thing that I noticed was the colossal, veritable forest of documents, all stacked in boxes and binders, which spanned the front of the courtroom.

This wasn't a standard prosecution and I assume the fees reflected that. I do agree that legal fees are absurd in this country, but I'm not at all surprised that the huge scale of the brief required higher than average fees.

How do you know they didn’t

I don't know, along with the rest of the 99.99 % of the tax-payers - but as we footed the bill , I would like to know what they did or dind't know and why it was not flagged earlier , if they actually did know. Perhaps they were kept in the dark , if not they have some explaining to do, given the amount they earned for the brief.

I don't know, along with the rest of the 99.99 % of the tax-payers - but as we footed the bill , I would like to know what they did or dind't know and why it was not flagged earlier , if they actually did know. Perhaps they were kept in the dark , if not they have some explaining to do, given the amount they earned for the brief.

you are barking up the wrong tree if you want to blame someone for the trial disappearing down the rabbit hole, there are also 1,000 other places to look in the public expenditure if you want to investigate real scandals on wastes of tax payers money

you are barking up the wrong tree if you want to blame someone for the trial disappearing down the rabbit hole, there are also 1,000 other places to look in the public expenditure if you want to investigate real scandals on wastes of tax payers money

the public have a right to know how the 800k spent on barristers - on how they performed or didn't - they were paid top dollar , so you would expect top dollar performance - maybe they did - but let the public know one way or the other , since they paid the fees - why so defensive ?

• Advertisement

the public have a right to know how the 800k spent on barristers - on how they performed or didn't - they were paid top dollar , so you would expect top dollar performance - maybe they did - but let the public know one way or the other , since they paid the fees - why so defensive ?

im not being defensive at all, but think about what you are saying, you are seeking full and accessible accountability for all public spending.

you will need to employ a lot of civil servants to administer that.

also, as i said before, this 800k is a drop in the ocean, the real scandals of public expenditure continue unabated.

im not being defensive at all, but think about what you are saying, you are seeking full and accessible accountability for all public spending.

also, as i said before, this 800k is a drop in the ocean, the real scandals of public expenditure continue unabated.

well maybe we should become apathetic to the sick system - the last thing I want is another enquiry , led by more legal eagles, producing more documentation that no one really understands , or in many instances just telling the public what we already know , making more legal luminaries even richer - I'm not cynical , actually hang on, I think I'll give up too, wish someone would give me 400k for my troubles .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

While there is undoubtably numerous other areas in which public money is being wasted, the legal profession and the free legal aid scheme in particular is one of the most shameful drains on the public purse that exists. The legal profession was one of the 3 major areas of reform highlighted by the troika and yet it was the only one to escape any actual reform after a ferocious 5 year campaign was waged by the law library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I assume it's because of the incredibly intense volume of work that was required in this case.

I happened to be in the courts on another matter one day, and popped into the Sean FitzPatrick trial hearing. The first thing that I noticed was the colossal, veritable forest of documents, all stacked in boxes and binders, which spanned the front of the courtroom.
    That shyte is all for show. You should have sat there and watched out for how many times they actually pull anything from those stacks of folders. It's rare. I'd say if you went through the folders you'd just find every scrap of paper that was around when they started the case and they've kept it like some sort of obsessed teenager.

They're printing out reams of emails and other shyte where they could have just bought the laptop and save us them fumbling through folders looking for a bill from 4 years ago.

Say anything to any solicitor/barrister and their first port of call is to fumble with some paperwork while they figure out what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

The Oirosh Oligarchy have wide and deep bench strength. Careful attention was given to selecting the investigators, prosecution team and the Judge. To jail a member of the Oirish Oligarchy you have to catch them in flagrante delicto and even then as the Irish lady economist in the Finance Dept. who had the courage to tell Bertie that the Irish housing market was tanking  found out the hard way. Bertie responded that anyone with negative thoughts on the Irish housing market should jump off a bridge. Anyone with negative thoughts on the Oirish Oligarchy should expect similar advice. Oireland oh Oireland we never thought, hard bitten, cynical bastards that we are that it would come to this.

Advertisement