18-01-2021, 00:29   #271
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Lets hope the next test doesn't have a green flame. Could mean boron or copper in the exhaust. And it isn't boron.

Copper is generally used for it's good thermal conductivity not as a propellant.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-01-2021, 14:50   #272
Westernyelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight
Copper is generally used for it's good thermal conductivity not as a propellant.

Engine rich exhaust 🀣
Thanks from:
18-01-2021, 15:00   #273
jogdish

Static Fire possible for today, ugh all aboard the excitement abort frustration excitement repeat train again
18-01-2021, 22:00   #274
jogdish

no static fire today

and true again today - Wednesday.

Last edited by jogdish; 19-01-2021 at 21:27.
Thanks from:
21-01-2021, 12:04   #275
Shlippery

Many many static fire aborts yesterday...one of them potentially for a range violation where a lad and his boat just zoomed by the launchpad.

Really really wanna see SN9 fly but feel like there's always one or two minor setbacks! Watching live streams is always nicely disappointing when you're a minute or two away then..abort abort abort!

Last edited by Shlippery; 21-01-2021 at 12:11.
Advertisement
21-01-2021, 12:10   #276
jogdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlippery View Post
Many many static fire aborts yesterday...one of them potentially for a range violation where a lad and his boat just zoomed by the launchpad.

Really really wanna see SN9 fly but feel like there's also one or two minor setbacks! Watching live streams is always nicely disappointing when you're a minute or two away then..abort abort abort!
Yup, so annoying.
Part of me thinks the aborts might be planned in some cases - there just seems to be so many getting so close to the wire.
21-01-2021, 23:54   #277
jogdish

Another bad static fire, seems odd. Imagine we were all thinking there was a possibility of a late December 2020 hop
22-01-2021, 01:11   #278
Shlippery

At least SN10 is more or less ready to go as well...still - if you look back to Feb 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UsCCRGLP0Q - they've progressed a ridiculous amount in that space. We're spoilt really. That being said...it's so damn impressive. People think i'm crazy when I mention what's going on at Boca Chica!!
22-01-2021, 19:57   #279
jogdish

Managed to catch the static fire on sn9 today, around 2/3pm odd time - sounded good and seems to be all systems go for a 10k 'hop' now i guess.

I watch most of this stuff with NSF on youtube, it's amazing how much coverage those guys get, turned on today to find a stream of an Oil rig being floated into port that spacex bought, and they have a second near Boca. It really is nuts.

How on earth do NSF support having a crew/camera almost everywhere? The super chats can't be doing everything.
Advertisement
23-01-2021, 16:28   #280
Shlippery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogdish View Post
Managed to catch the static fire on sn9 today, around 2/3pm odd time - sounded good and seems to be all systems go for a 10k 'hop' now i guess.

I watch most of this stuff with NSF on youtube, it's amazing how much coverage those guys get, turned on today to find a stream of an Oil rig being floated into port that spacex bought, and they have a second near Boca. It really is nuts.

How on earth do NSF support having a crew/camera almost everywhere? The super chats can't be doing everything.
LabPadre too are the other guys who have even more cameras at other angles. They had a good one of the foggy Static Fire!

Elon said there they're hoping to attempt SN9 early next week..so could be Monday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycyWcxWTcY <- saw this excellent video on Twitter which shows the plumbing behind it!
23-01-2021, 18:01   #281
jogdish

Ya that's a great render of the fuel, whenever I see these i am always struck by how simple the whole things is, two barrels of fuel and the thing to set it on fire and exhausts it - yet it's clearly not simple at all. A simple photo of the raptor shows the amount of pipes etc.

Fleix on whataboutit says bad weather for next week, so could be another few delays but hopefully a hop soon, to start the hype train all over again with SN10, they really must be pumping those raptor engines out at the factory.

The super heavy booster will need more, it's crazy to think we will have seen a Starship land from a hop and a booster small hop by mid year probably. I think the next big but not exciting thing will be to get everything nailed down so that aborts etc mean hour or two delays and not day delays or heck even minutes. Really puts SLS into perspective - I like SLS just it's so much easier to get excited about starship. However starship is at stage one - it will slow down massively when they start to look for certifications for being considered as a launch provider.
25-01-2021, 14:28   #282
jogdish

Might be a launch of SN9 today,25/1 seems to be likely from 6pm irish time onwards - but could be called off at any stage.
25-01-2021, 16:48   #283
Shlippery

Yup, up to 1am or there abouts I think. They've attached the flight termination thing that means they can blow it up if anything goes wrong..which I think is an indicator they can't do any more static fires... so fingers crossed it gets up and down gracefully.

Exciting!
25-01-2021, 20:03   #284
jogdish

booooo, no flight today booo
Thanks from:
25-01-2021, 21:16   #285
AMKC

Why did Space X name there rockers SN? Does it stand for something?
Space Neatral maybe.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion