Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The first four person launch of crew dragon will happen at 12:49am Sunday morning Irish time on a six month mission to the ISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Anyone been keep up with SN8 starship, seems to be a minor delay but seeing the 15k hop will be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The first four person launch of crew dragon will happen at 12:49am Sunday morning Irish time on a six month mission to the ISS.

Any chance we might be able to see it in the Sky?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

AMKC wrote: »
    Any chance we might be able to see it in the Sky?

we only see rockets in the sky because the sun is reflecting off them. Not going to have much chance at 1am.

• Advertisement

It’s been scrubbed until the same time but Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

SpaceX Crew1 launches tonight at 00:27 Irish time

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

Losing a bit of altitude around the 200km mark.
    Went from 201 to 197.
    Why is that?
    Velocity is increasing beyond 15,000kph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Went off clean as a whistle, nailed the Stage 1 landing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

We ran outside when they mentioned it was over Shannon in the hope we might catch a glimpse of it.....didnt though.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Losing a bit of altitude around the 200km mark.
    Went from 201 to 197.
    Why is that?
    Velocity is increasing beyond 15,000kph

Levelling off according to the commentary to get into orbit. Launch went off sweet as a nut it seems. Another first for nasa and space x in that tonight’s launch was the first time an American capsule(not a shuttle) had four astronauts on board. It couldn’t happen before on a non space shuttle launch because Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, or Vostok or Soyuz have had more then three.

We ran outside when they mentioned it was over Shannon in the hope we might catch a glimpse of it.....didnt though.

It wasn’t over Shannon. Shannon is the orbit call out replacing Zaragoza in Spain should an issue happen down range of Florida.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It wasn’t over Shannon. Shannon is the orbit call out replacing Zaragoza in Spain should an issue happen down range of Florida.

So I got wet feet for nothing! hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Methane is an interesting fuel. You need bigger tanks because of it's lower density so it's not half way to hydrogen. It's much better at regenerative cooling on reusable engines because it doesn't create as much gunk at high temperatures, as it's much easier to purify than RP-1.

It really is a great clean burn compared to the earlier rockets. I'd really like a walk around that pad and a look up at it before a launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So glad I caught this last night. Nearly forgot about it but switched on Sky News and there it was so went on You-Tube them as well. It's crazy but amazing how far it has come in the last decade. It was such a faultless even perfect launch. I think the progress over the next two decades will be immense and great. Can not wait till we are all watching the rocket that will be going to Mars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What a sight looking down at Dragon from the ISS as Earth whizzes around below, just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

Remembered this just after launch as well, and went viewing online. Kept an eye on it all the way through docking at 4am and hatch opening at 6am.

I hadn't realised that Dragon is going to stay attached to the ISS for the entire next six months. I assumed they'd be doing a crew rotation and bringing people back immediately. Though I suppose none of the guys already on the ISS would have any training in Dragon ... not that it seems to need much human control. So does that mean they're going to continue to intersperse Russian crew rotations via Soyuz with Dragon ones?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ps200306 wrote: »
    Remembered this just after launch as well, and went viewing online. Kept an eye on it all the way through docking at 4am and hatch opening at 6am.

I hadn't realised that Dragon is going to stay attached to the ISS for the entire next six months. I assumed they'd be doing a crew rotation and bringing people back immediately. Though I suppose none of the guys already on the ISS would have any training in Dragon ... not that it seems to need much human control. So does that mean they're going to continue to intersperse Russian crew rotations via Soyuz with Dragon ones?

The capsule that brings you up, brings you home. That's the way it works with the Soyuz. There are always multiple capsules docked at the station.

The plan for the next rotation is that the three current crew (two Cosmonauts and a NASA astronaut) will return to Earth in April and be replaced by 3 Cosmonauts. So from now on it looks like Russians will launch exclusively on the Soyuz and Americans will launch exclusively on Dragon or the Starliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The first high altitude test flight for starship SN8 has just been aborted.
    Seems that it experienced a raptor engine abort in the last second before takeoff.

I was watching the live feed on it and was looking forward to seeing how they got on with this one.
    Hopefully it won't be too long before they can make another attempt at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Was watching the stream. Sickened it was aborted with 1 second to go. Looking forward to the next attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Was watching the stream. Sickened it was aborted with 1 second to go. Looking forward to the next attempt.

Yea I was too, I've been keeping tabs on when the launch might happen, I was glad to catch the stream just before the attempted lift off.
    Hopefully we won't have to wait too long until the next attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

Next attempt will be today, as long as the weather holds. The Spacex feed was glorious when it went live, but the three other top feeds to watch it on are,

Whataboutit with Felix. This guy is good as he talks less bull**** plus uses NasaSpaceFlights feed. I found him excellent.

NasaSpaceFlight. Multiple cameras in the area. The lads go off topic way too much though. Plus the Americans cannot understand Chris's Yorkshire accent. ..and I quote " that Texan accent is weird man..."

EverydayAstronaut. Normally very good, when his equipment actually works. Quite technical. Musk follows him.

Flick between these feeds for the next attempt. Which should be today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Covid19 wrote: »
    Next attempt will be today, as long as the weather holds. The Spacex feed was glorious when it went live, but the three other top feeds to watch it on are,

Whataboutit with Felix. This guy is good as he talks less bull**** plus uses NasaSpaceFlights feed. I found him excellent.

NasaSpaceFlight. Multiple cameras in the area. The lads go off topic way too much though. Plus the Americans cannot understand Chris's Yorkshire accent. ..and I quote " that Texan accent is weird man..."

EverydayAstronaut. Normally very good, when his equipment actually works. Quite technical. Musk follows him.

Flick between these feeds for the next attempt. Which should be today.

Good round up, my own opinions:
    Nasa Space flight - Really good set up, but the 'banter' gets a little too grating at times. would be happier with just Das and uk Chris. Some of the one field guys are similar to Tim (everyday astro) in their over waxing of how great everything is.

What about it - Yet to watch his live stuff, always find his weekly videos the 'humor' and delivery is odd, but he is good - you rock.

Everyday - far too happy over amazed and positive American for me, his single topic long form videos are excellent.

Fair play to all of them really got me into all the above over the summer. One thing I don't like is the Elon love, which all the above seem(?) to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

SpaceX feed about to go live so take 2 coming up :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-BkkrRg-o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I love the angry astronauts YouTube channel, plenty of very interesting ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

haven't been following so what's SpaceX testing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

irishgeo wrote: »
    haven't been following so what's SpaceX testing now?

Take off and landing of starship, SN8. Up to 12.5km altitude

First attempt called off 30mins ago. Now trying for launch at 22.40

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Thanks for the heads up, caught the stream just in time it seems.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

4 minutes...

Advertisement