Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10,000 steps daily

Options
  • 06-10-2020 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for any advice on hitting 10k steps daily.

I play a lot of sport, but I also work in an office and commute a lot. On days I am not training or playing a match, I would be only averaging about 3-4k steps daily. I moved to a more office based role about 3 years ago, and definitely notice more injuries occurring since then.

I am 31 now and I am feeling a lot of tiredness and stiffness in the last year or so. I do stretch most evenings, but just find when I am not active, I am all bottled up.

Now that sport is finished until next year, I went to get my body back to being more mobile. I was thinking of buying a treadmill and doing 7-8k steps in the morning before work.

Has any one being in this situation before? Have you noticed much difference when you start hitting 10k steps on daily basis?
    I would prefer to be outside walking, but I live in the country on dark lanes so can be tricky going walking in the winter with no light and bad visibility at times.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

biffo2014 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for any advice on hitting 10k steps daily.

I play a lot of sport, but I also work in an office and commute a lot. On days I am not training or playing a match, I would be only averaging about 3-4k steps daily. I moved to a more office based role about 3 years ago, and definitely notice more injuries occurring since then.

I am 31 now and I am feeling a lot of tiredness and stiffness in the last year or so. I do stretch most evenings, but just find when I am not active, I am all bottled up.

Now that sport is finished until next year, I went to get my body back to being more mobile. I was thinking of buying a treadmill and doing 7-8k steps in the morning before work.

Has any one being in this situation before? Have you noticed much difference when you start hitting 10k steps on daily basis?
    I would prefer to be outside walking, but I live in the country on dark lanes so can be tricky going walking in the winter with no light and bad visibility at times.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I work in an office (or did until covid landed). I probably average 12k a day during the working week even now. Double that at the weekend. I think the Fitbit is a bit generous but I'm mostly just conscious of relative numbers...was there a difference between this week and last week or this Wednesday to last Wednesday, that kinda thing.

I don't really know if it does much for me physically. I've been doing rehab/prehab stuff most days and I find that stands to me more, IMHO. But it's to address an ongoing hip issue and a lot of injuries can stem from the hips so its probably no surprise those exercises help.

Any movement will help. It doesn't necessarily have to be steps if it's not practical to go for extra walks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The 10,000 steps target is great for getting people to be more active in daily life. If you think you will enjoy the treadmill go ahead and you might increase from walking to running for your exercise. But if you prefer cycling get an exercise bike. Anything that gets your heart rate up and that you will keep
    Doing regularly is the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Despite the bad weather in Ireland there's only a few days you can't go for a walk outside. I walk my labrador twice a day, every day. Some days you have to await a break in the weather but its always manageable. Its usually grey and overcast but we rarely get a full day's rain.

I'm guessing you drive if you live in rural area so I'd even suggest driving to somewhere a bit brighter and safer to walk a couple of evenings or do it on way home from work. Infinitely more appealing to me than walking on a treadmill during a lockdown when we are stuck in houses too much. On weekends you could walk more locally.
    Cheaper too and don't have to store a bulky treadmill anywhere. There must be some options along these lines for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

Thanks for the replies and feedback.

I do actually have a bike and was cycling regularly during the lockdown. I was hitting an average 80-100km a week, but when the GAA started back, I had to put the cycling to one side as I was training 3/4 nights a week between Hurling and Football.

The reason with the treadmill is that I am on the road early in the mornings, so it's more for convenience that I could just get up and stick on a podcast and walk/jog/run and get my steps up and the legs moving.

I could go on the way back from work and stop off, but I'd prefer to get the steps in early. I do be busy with work and other things in the winter evenings, so might not have time in the evenings.

I am going to purchase a treadmill by the weekend (hopefully) and give it a go for a month anyway and see do I notice any difference.

I will start back cycling the weekends also as I do miss heading off on long cycles and clearing the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Patsy167

https://physiotonic.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/is-cycling-really-good-for-you-a-must-read-for-office-workers-and-cyclists/

On the walking vs.cycling debate - Ultimatly whichever you enjoy is the best option. Worth keeping the above in mind if you are a desk based worker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

As you have a bike a turbo trainer may be an option easy to put bike on and off and easy to store if not in use they are not too dear cheper than a treamill i would say .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

A half hour walk at lunch time if you could would help. You would probably cover around 3k in a half hour, knock a decent whack off the steps there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rpurfield wrote: »
    A half hour walk at lunch time if you could would help. You would probably cover around 3k in a half hour, knock a decent whack off the steps there.

About 4000 steps (depending on stride length).

I have two routes to work. One is a bus that drops me practically door to door.
    The other involves switching to a train and walking to/from platforms. THe latter is a completely unnoticeable effort. It's a faster route so the time cost is zero. But it makes a huge difference to my step count for days I take that route.

WFH vrs Office days are also hugely different

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

"A 2011 review concluded that adults over the age of 18 take anywhere from 4,000 to 18,000 steps per day. Another 2011 review looked at children and adolescents. It found that those under 18 take anywhere from 10,000 to 16,000 steps per day."

So I think maybe you will feel better but start will smaller amount then add.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

OmegaGene wrote: »
    15km around a mountain yesterday was 15k steps for me
    I rented a treadmill before when I started walking and I found it too boring and it just takes ages
    I find going on a set route much better, less inclined to have interruption etc
    I use the treadmill at the gym for running in crap weather

1metre a step

• Advertisement

So just to update, I am buying a treadmill after work today.
    My plan is to walk/run/jog at least 7K steps before work every morning. I know some of you are saying about walking in the fresh air and the benefits etc.

I am one of the biggest advocate for getting as much outside air as possible, but just for these few months of very dark mornings, it suits me to use a treadmill and be active. Once the mornings start getting brighter, I will be out walking/running on the roads.

I am going to give this a go for the next 30 days anyway and see if any changes occur. I will be back in the gym in the next couple of weeks for Winter Training (GAA), but I will still be getting in my steps in the morning.

As my previous post states, I have been plagued with Hamstring/Hip injuries for the best part of 4 years. It was around this time I moved from being active in the field, to being completely sedentary in the office. The lockdown and Working from home has opened my eyes to how inactive I actually am. I would have always considered myseld active due to playing GAA, but when I break it down:

- Awaken from 7/8 hours of lying down in a bed
    - Get into a car for 45mins to get to work
    - Sit in work for 8 hours roughly
    - Get back into a car for 45 mins to get home
    - Sit at kitchen table to eat dinner
    - If I am not training I am stretching or doing some ball work off the gable end of the house
    - Sit down for the night - around 9pm
    - Go to bed around 11pm
    - Rinse and repeat

For about 80% of the day, most days, I am in a sedentary position.

My lifestyle has to change, starting with getting those steps in.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭notdarkyet

I was suffering a lot from lower back pain, especially in the mornings after 5 a side soccer. I started doing a 2 mile walk most mornings and the back pain more or less disappeared.

I'd look at doing some hip mobility stuff....pilates-style exercises at home as well. I know you'll be back in the gym but it will only enhance that and mitigate against those kinds of injuries because they work hamstrings, glutes, hips, core, etc. One of the lads I did Pilates with before lockdown played football to a high level (AI final high level) and he swears by it for preventing those kinds of injuries.

But general mobility work like that will pay off

I'd look at doing some hip mobility stuff....pilates-style exercises at home as well. I know you'll be back in the gym but it will only enhance that and mitigate against those kinds of injuries because they work hamstrings, glutes, hips, core, etc. One of the lads I did Pilates with before lockdown played football to a high level (AI final high level) and he swears by it for preventing those kinds of injuries.

But general mobility work like that will pay off

I actually am on a pilates type program the last couple of months. Have seen huge benefits with it because I took it serious this time. I would have be prescribed countless programs over the years, but only half did them :o

Hopefully being more active, along with the pilates will benefit me.

Compared to this time last year, I feel a lot better. Probably due to the working from home for those few months and not travelling or sitting at a desk as much. It made me sit back and relise how my work life has effected me physically the last few years.

Still a long road to go though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Personally, I think it's a great idea. With the thread I'll I'll you can go from zero to 100 pretty quickly. It will be a great way to wake up and start the day. With walking outside its too easy for you to skip out on it. The threadmill is more seemless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi biffo2014,

Did you get the threadmill in the end, I was wondering if it is worth or not for you?

Thanks

Hi biffo2014,

Did you get the threadmill in the end, I was wondering if it is worth or not for you?

Thanks

Hi Static,

Got the treadmill Monday and have being using it since then.

I do a 5k jog/run either in the morning or evening and I am getting out more on site during work, so my steps have been over 10k all week.

Body is a bit sore, but I know that's just down to not use to being this active.

My fitbit even flashed up that I got an "achievement" for going 5 days over 10k, so I am happy enough.

I will keep every one updated. My aim is for 30 days of at least 10k steps and see how I feel then and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'd imagine you won't feel much different. I think we overstate the benefits of exercise. Like the way we think vegetables will give us some magical properties. No, it just makes our body function as it should.

I'd imagine you won't feel much different. I think we overstate the benefits of exercise.

So it's not a great way to wake up and start the day, like you said earlier in the thread?

I did 10k steps most days during the initial lockdown having been a couch potato up to then, I felt and looked so much better but I was eating healthier and got a bit of a tan also so I suppose it was a combination of everything. I'm still doing the steps about 4 days a week but getting a walk every day even if it's only 30 mins, I definitely feel its very beneficial both physically and mentally

• Advertisement

I don't even know how to respond to that ridiculous statement from above. Everybody knows the how beneficial Exercise is to body and mind, so I'll leave it at that.

Just to update, feel a lot better the last few days. First few days were a struggle, but I knew that. I have to bare in mind that my body was use to doing roughly 3k steps a day, along with 10+ hours of sitting or being sedentary.

I have hit 10k+ steps most days since I have started. Couple of days I have only hit 8K, but I don't mind, as I am still getting way more than my average.

I am not going to get bogged down on hitting 10k a day, because as everyone knows, life isn't as straight forward. There will be days I won't hit 10k steps and that is fine. The whole point of this was to start being more active in my daily life away from sport.

Thanks for all the positive comments. Very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Fair play op. Sitting in an office after being previously active on site made me gain a heap of weight. I have a treadmill too but find it harder on the joints than running up the Canal. Went out last night in the wind and rain with a bad head on me over all this covid craic and after my slow 5k through muck and slop i felt a heap better. Out of interest is it a pilates class you do on zoom or something you got from the net?

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Fair play op. Sitting in an office after being previously active on site made me gain a heap of weight. I have a treadmill too but find it harder on the joints than running up the Canal. Went out last night in the wind and rain with a bad head on me over all this covid craic and after my slow 5k through muck and slop i felt a heap better. Out of interest is it a pilates class you do on zoom or something you got from the net?

Hi Kev. I can relate to post in a way. Although I didn't gain weight as such, I did find that working in an office can lead to bad eating habits. Very easy to get up after sitting for hours and go for lunch to a Deli, Pub food etc.

When I was working on site or being more active, I found I was more disciplined in my food approach. Learn from my mistakes.

I actually find the treadmill running easier compared to road running. I did 2 half marathons back in 2015 as a personal challenge and found the road running very hard on my joints. The only downside to the treadmill is it can be boring at times, but you just have to be mentally strong and keep going.

As for the Pilates and stretching, I have a program that was given to me from a physio from a Senior Inter County Team. This was developed to suit me and areas I need to work on. I would recommend going to a good physio, or an athletic rehabilitation therapist. They will assess you and give you a program, but its up to you to do work that they instruct you to do.

I would have neglected this part of sport through the years. Countless programs and stretches to do were given to me, but after a couple of weeks, they went out the window. I say not listening and doing my own thing has probably cost me around 2/3 years of Sport when I should have been in my prime

If you have Instagram, you can follow these guys who give out excellent advice on mobilty and are a very knowledgeable:
    @brian_movement101
    @rob_movement101

or www.movement101.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I average 10k steps per day (active job, extra walks), but it doesn't make any difference in my body composition or even the way I feel because I don't really enjoy walking that much (walking the same routes last 10 years). To feel tired from walking I have to double that. Now, if you were completely sedentary before that, you might see changes, I know I wouldn't.
    I was delighted when gyms reopened back in July and only now when I regained all my lost strength and started pushing with my diet - they're closed again. I'll have to go back to cycling that now I hate after 4months of last lockdown, plus the bad weather, I'm not in the good place esp mentally, and walking won't help me here at all. Vent over.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

j@utis wrote: »
    I average 10k steps per day (active job, extra walks), but it doesn't make any difference in my body composition
    If you do 10k everyday, how do you know what your body comp would be at 5k or 20k? You have to test that out over a month at least which would very hard to do consistently unless you change your job.

But the difference between 5-6k and 10k steps isn't massive anyway, maybe 200 cals.

I average 10k steps per day (active job, extra walks), but it doesn't make any difference in my body composition or even the way I feel because I don't really enjoy walking that much (walking the same routes last 10 years). To feel tired from walking I have to double that. Now, if you were completely sedentary before that, you might see changes, I know I wouldn't.
    I was delighted when gyms reopened back in July and only now when I regained all my lost strength and started pushing with my diet - they're closed again. I'll have to go back to cycling that now I hate after 4months of last lockdown, plus the bad weather, I'm not in the good place esp mentally, and walking won't help me here at all. Vent over.

In the Nutrition & Diet forum there was a general thread for people trying to lose weight. It was a great thread for support. I think we could definitely do with something similar because people definitely feel a lack of motivation, a feeling of being a little lost and generally just down.

Fitness is a great forum for people supporting people so I think we could look at maybe the WFH Superthread. There's a camaraderie here that we could put to good use these times.

Do you have any equipment at home to train with?

I think you have to look at it from the point of view, that you're walking 10k everyday due to an active job. This is second nature to you so you're body is getting use everyday. I am coming from a daily sedentary background (outside of sport), so my body is use to not being used during the day.

I never said anything about changing body composition. It's about getting my body active again and being mobile. If I was severely overweight and sedentary, then I would imagine I would see changes to my body composition. I am from a sporting background, so even though I am not going to see any physical changes to my body by walking 10k steps a day, I will feel the improvements in my mobility and general well being.

It's understandable to vent with the gym's closing, but you have to be keep at it. Whether its setting up temporary weights at home or just doing bodyweight exercises for time being - anything is better than nothing.

Vent away if you need to. That is what these forum's and threads are here for. Keep the head up and talk if you're not in a good place mentally.

Advertisement