Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme High Temperatures

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I once saw 40 degrees in Las Vegas, it wasn't too bad, not compared to the humidity I first encountered in Bangkok, especially jet lagged and hungover...high humidity has to be the worst feeling.
    The coldest I ever felt was in Trieste during December, the was a wind off the mountains that was so strong and would cut you in two..I wasn't properly dressed..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

jacksie66 wrote: »
    36c here in Christchurch New Zealand last December. Unbearable heat. Plus the hole in the ozone makes it seem much hotter. I've been all over the world but on a plus 30 summer day here in NZ it's excruciating..

I don't know if it's the ozone or just general differences in the atmosphere but the only time I've felt immediately threatened by the sun was walking around Sydney in about 25 degree sunshine-I was going red after 5 minutes whereas I've been out in daytime in 40+ tropical heat and just got sopping wet clothes for my troubles.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Oh you just reminded me, Tokyo in July is awful. 40+, air pollution, humidity circa 80-90%.

THAT was actually torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I went from -10 to +35 in 5 hours before.

that was a shock

Dusseldorf to Hurghada at Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

I was on holidays in Tenerife when a calima hit.
    (An easterly wind direct from the Sahara)

Screenshot_2016_05_31_20_24_19.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was in turkey one year where it was in the early 40s. Could do nothing during the hottest part of the day.

No air conditioning in our hotel room, so it dipped to mid-30s at night. Very unpleasant.

Give me 25 degrees anyday and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I guess everything growing in the glasshouse died? 1995 was a brilliant summer only 2013 matched it for me.
    LOL! Nope, river nearby and a good pump kept me in a job watering constantly! The condensation kept forming on the roof of the glasshouse away from the vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Very high temperatures in Spain today

be32cc89419deea4e82e11a975f27198.png

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I live in province of Pontevedra in Spain and they believe tomorrow's high temperatures are going to break (local) records. Its been above 40 degrees on a few occasions this summer, so I'm not looking forward to what tomorrow will bring.
    On a more positive note; At this time of year the temperatures drop considerably after sunset.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

45c being reported at Moron de la Frontera now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was watching Tenerife airport a few weeks ago and the temperature went from 31c to 40c in the matter of 30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Hottest I experienced was 46 in Mexico...on the day we decided to visit the pyramids and all...it was horrible..people were dropping like flies and no amount of water kept me hydrated..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

44c in Madrid during July and 46c for 3 days in a row in Croatia in June. Both times with scouts camping so no escaping the heat. I don't remember the Madrid heat being unbearable but my god Croatia was almost upsetting it was that hot. We had to throw all the tents in the bin when we got home as the material had stretched and torn in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm in benalmedena right now and we had over 40c today. It was heavenly!

Final figures for the 5th

58c5c30ae5b44d91898ac470ad472799.png

The temperature has risen from 15 degrees at 9am when I left the house, to just shy of 30 degrees now at 2pm.
    I live in a rural area and there's not a leaf moving on the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Vinculus wrote: »
    The temperature has risen from 15 degrees at 9am when I left the house, to just shy of 30 degrees now at 2pm.
    I live in a rural area and there's not a leaf moving on the trees.

Vinculus

Are you retired over there? I would say it is a nice place to live with proper seasons. I think I would prefer to retire there than in the baking heat of the south. Much nicer having the changing seasons.

No Tigerandahalf, I have still a few years ahead of me before I think of retiring.
    Autumn, winter and spring can be glorious here. It does tend to rain a lot during the second half of winter. I have never checked but I've a feeling it rains more here during that time than it does in Ireland. In 2005 it started raining in September and didn't stop till March. Seriously, it didn't stop, it was a nightmare.
    The part of Galicia we live in can get really hot in the summer and weeks can pass by without seeing a single cloud in the sky .
    We've had a great summer but I'm so ready for the Autumn now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Cheers for the reply. I have been in Galicia a good few times and Pontevedra is a real nice spot especially the old town.

Parts up there do get very hot. I think Ourense is one of the hottest parts of Spain due to its topography - in a bit of a basin.

Is there much snow and skiiing around there in the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well, although not extreme, it is forecast to reach 30 or 31 degrees in the south east of England on Tuesday. That will be the warmest September temperature since 1973 in England if it happens.

• Advertisement

Actually I'm a live south of the city of Pontevedra which I agree is a lovely city. We're closer to Vigo and about sixty kilometres west of Ourense.
    I love visting Ourence but at this time of the years I keep well away. There's a lot a thermal baths and springs there, one in particular in the centre has been pumping out scolding hot, sulfur stinking water for at least two thousand years, since roman times. I wonder if all the hot water underground contributes to the heat of the city.
    As for snow, we get none where we are but once you go inland, there's a lot of areas that get snowed in for a few weeks almost every year.
    The closest ski station to us is in Lugo close to the Ribera Sacra. I never been in winter but it's extraordinarily beautiful the rest of the year.

Very high temperatures in parts of Spain today, 45.1C currently at Cordoba and Grenada airports.

a71daa8368f05a0e33eb2164f6a69303.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Don't know if I could hack it! Been out in temps just above 45C but that was when I younger. Too used to the mild Atlantic air now :)

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/885581268519448578

47.3C yesterday on the aemet website data, don't know if that station is officially counted

7ac87e3b0bbf997032129205c210aa24.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Bsal wrote: »
    47.3C yesterday on the aemet website data, don't know if that station is officially counted
    Wiki says yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weather_records#Europe_.5Bnotes_4.5D don't know if that makes it official?

Advertisement