Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Can somebody explain what uppers means, does -9 uppers mean higher or lower temps than that on the streets of Ireland

-9 would be about 0 at street level normally but here will feel a helluva lot colder given source of the air etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I suspect the 6z NAE is making more of the small Irish Sea LP again on the 6z.

Could increase precip/snow totals Friday.

Although i can't see the pivot point yet.

6am tomorrow NAE

13011806_1706.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Eh some people on NW expecting the snow are saying " its so unfair" the cheek of em! Have they no idea what we have been going through past few days!

Is the more westward (than anticipated) snow going to prevent the UK turning into one big snowfield and will that have knock on effects for us? I know last night much was being made of the very cold winds likely to emanate from the UK over snowfields there. In particular, from an imby perspective, I'm thinking of Sunday and onwards as I can't see us down here seeing anything before then (though GFS precipitation and accumulated snow charts suggest otherwise surprisingly). Any thoughts folks on what effect if any this might have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

6am tomorrow NAE

13011806_1706.gif

Looking very good for the East..I am still very wary of any front for later in the weekend especially with air coming from the Atlantic. It will be interesting to watch..

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

it is unfair, coastal waterford loses out again!!!!!:(

Looking very good for the East..I am still very wary of any front for later in the weekend especially with air coming from the Atlantic. It will be interesting to watch..

On that point, Evelyn at 7.55 was talking about this as a classic cold east air meets mild moist west air scenario. But isn't it a bit different this time as, certainly on Monday, it looks like cold moist western air (-4/-5 uppers, etc)? This is what I am basing most of my optimism on for these here parts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

30 hours :

13011812_1706.gif

Rain to snow line is a little further south on this run.

Looks like some areas would see snow turning back to rain. So don't expect to be making snowmen just yet!

aboyro wrote: »
    it is unfair, coastal waterford loses out again!!!!!:(

Patience. Every dog has its day. Yours should be Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

On that point, Evelyn at 7.55 was talking about this as a classic cold east air meets mild moist west air scenario. But isn't it a bit different this time as, certainly on Monday, it looks like cold moist western air (-4/-5 uppers, etc)? This is what I am basing most of my optimism on for these here parts.....

Still a long way out so will probably subject to change! I suppose its an 80's set up which did deliver snow down south on a few occasions especially inland. Interesting times anyway but we're really not in the mix until Sunday on..

6z NAE really pumping up that circulation. Some parts of NI look set for a plastering.

Coastal Dublin remains a marginality concern as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Out to 42 hours, looking good for N.I., border counties in the Republic and the Wicklow Mountains. Other areas might be rain/snow/rain without accumulations.

13011900_1706.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Out to 42 hours, looking good for N.I., border counties in the Republic and the Wicklow Mountains. Other areas might be rain/snow/rain without accumulations.

13011900_1706.gif

Can see the Wicklow mountains getting an absolute pummelling!! I suspect visitor numbers to glendalough might take a slight hit. Would be amazing to get photos up there in this type of weather event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

I live in quite a hilly part of North east Meath, should i expect much snow from this or will it rain, i'm hoping snow, cos the field next door cant hold much more rain before it comes in around the house.

How far north the small circulation moves before retreating south is going to be a real now-cast situation.

A really exciting 48hrs coming up, real knife edge stuff for many. And the bonus being somewhere looks like it will get plastered with 40mm of precip predicted to fall in some parts of the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

come on you beautiful white stuff hurry up weve been waiting since 2010 well i have lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Belfast City Centre at rush hour tomorrow evening (and not a flag in sight)
    aobRD.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Very interesting runs this morning indeed. Precip totals for the NE would be about 16mm according to the charts... so if that was in the hill areas being snow that would be roughly 16cms.... thats..... a HALF A FOOT !

OH wait... this aint the ramping thread! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Still doesnt look promising for most of us in the country , still a lot off if buts and maybes, I don't think we will ever see a repeat of 2010, people are getting the hopes up for nothing really unless everyone drives up north.
    Was there not more of a chance for us all Sunday night or is that gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sky News forecast has the snow over the east up until 9pm tomorrow, thats as far out as they go

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Here come the girls downgrades...

GFS -6 uppers at 72 hours have retreated to the east by a couple of hundred miles. Disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭arctictree

Might have to get the snow chains out for tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Sky News forecast has the snow over the east up until 9pm tomorrow, thats as far out as they go

The Dublin/wicklow mountains are going to get a pasting and the east will have heavy snow showers over the weekend and next week!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

power101 wrote: »
    Here come the girls downgrades...

GFS -6 uppers at 72 hours have retreated to the east by a couple of hundred miles. Disaster!

I wouldn't worry, these things seem to change every hour at this rate. Even forecast on BBChas snow for north and east of Ireland and they always put rain for us eve when its snowing here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Isn't the GFS rolling out now? Seems very quiet in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Everything looks good at this stage for a lot of the country but as I've said before I think it could go pear shaped, but down here we won't be getting much if at all but I do hope people in better parts of the country for snow get a good pasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Good charts from the GFS, Monday for example:

gfs-2-102_gkt4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Isn't the GFS rolling out now? Seems very quiet in here?
    Yeah looks good so far :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Good charts from the GFS, Monday for example:

gfs-2-102_gkt4.png

That's 102 hours away. What about the 'locked in' snow for tomorrow that had everyone in a tizz since last night?

Looks like rain for everywhere bar north eastern six counties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement