Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

darkman2 wrote: »
    Im gonna take a more cautious approach I think(since no one else will!). Don't be going OTT with it. Nothing is nailed yet.

The charts look good, a couple of nagging issues from Monday night for the East coast. Things look like getting a bit marginal. Still good charts and hopefully something actually materialises this time.

yeah the uk met office only show for monday/tuesday any weather warning for the east of the uk and not further west. not great at the reading charts but why are people so confident we will be effected?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

yeah the uk met office only show for monday/tuesday any weather warning for the east of the uk and not further west. not great at the reading charts but why are people so confident we will be effected?

I'd guess because most of southern England looks to be in the warmish sector of the low tracking over them on Monday, thus likely to be mostly rain/sleet there. The same cannot be said for Ireland though. That said the exact track of these things is very hard to forecast accurately. Also the main precip from the low may only be in the SE of the country but its likely to be snow on the northern edges and on high ground.. Literally anything can happen, its all very exciting :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Well, it is not the UKMO's business to be giving warnings for here but we have a similar effect off the Irish sea.

The GFS shows lying snow actually from Monday to Wednesday

132_35.gif

Alot of snow in parts of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

^^^ hmmm not much snow for ireland on there, more green than white.

Good ECM to 120 hrs

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1201.gif

After that im not sure. Don't think it will be as good as this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Oh this looks too good to be true!Its been so long, is this time different to the so many close calls in the past? Will the snow that hopefully falls will it lie and freeze or will it thaw away quickly? It will be interesting to see how met eireann deal with it although there are still 3full days before the first flakes fall on sunday evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 deromalley

Im sorry but I gotta ask the question - why do all you people post the weather in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

deromalley wrote: »
    Im sorry but I gotta ask the question - why do all you people post the weather in your area?

Why not?

I find this stuff v interesting even if I don`t post here a lot.

Can`t wait for this cold/snowy spell :D

Have you any suggestions as to why Eveyln Cusack said cold dry and sunny first few days of february on RTE just now ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 deromalley

Fair enough. Everyone to their own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Èvelyn is still not my friend.she just says no precip at all for the first few days of feb.she wants a good slap:mad::mad:

redsunset wrote: »
    Èvelyn is still not my friend.she just says no precip at all for the first few days of feb.she wants a good slap:mad::mad:

Did she :D Wrong she will be .Might be try in the west mind for Monday and some of Tuesday mind.

Lads no worries the charts this evening have never looked better :D:D

deromalley wrote: »

Its the weather forum, whats the weather like in your area :D ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Why do I have the feeling this forum is going into utter meltdown next week when snow starved Dubliners go wild!! :D:pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

hey sc is there something we're missing.cause evelyn is not seein any precip.or are they being just plain silly

Better inject a dose of realism

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ecmwf/run/ECM0-120.GIF?29-0 Tuesday

:/

GFS is much better but very marginal on that evidence above for the East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

darkman2 wrote: »
    Better inject a dose of realism

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ecmwf/run/ECM0-120.GIF?29-0 Tuesday

:/

GFS is much better but very marginal on that evidence above for the East.

I trust GFS more than ECMWF fortunately;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

Have you any suggestions as to why Eveyln Cusack said cold dry and sunny first few days of february on RTE just now ?

I think she's just erring on the side of caution. And to be honest, most of the country will probably be dry and sunny. (Except the east coast!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    Lol, sure!, these charts are looking rather special. I'm frankly starting to worry that I wont be able to make it to the airport on February 9th!!

TBH, if these charts come true then next week we will have a full week of ice and snow days. Temps around 2c will be sub zero here for you and me. Could be very treacherous conditions coming up. I am keep a close eye on it as my wife is due mid February. We may have to move out for a few weeks if the forecast gets really bad!

A

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    TBH, if these charts come true then next week we will have a full week of ice and snow days. Temps around 2c will be sub zero here for you and me. Could be very treacherous conditions coming up. I am keep a close eye on it as my wife is due mid February. We may have to move out for a few weeks if the forecast gets really bad!

A

Congrats mate, delighted to hear it :)
    Hopefully by mid February we will all be looking back at that incredible winter weather that was....
    I think after the initial stuff that the roads here should be treated hopefully. though the back roads may be a bit dodgy, do you still have that 4x4?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that rte forecast was very dissapointing especially after the fact they were starting to come around to our way of thinking this morning, also just saw the sky news forecast and they have snow plastered over most of the uk for next week with dazzling sunshine in western areas, wales and all of Ireland. Neither channels are taking into account that the Irish Sea can produce showers over eastern Ireland, but what are the chances of this happening? could we see excellent lake snow conditions or will it just end up with nothing materialisng over the Irish sea? Its sure gonna be cold but im just a bit worried that there may not be a whole lot of precipitation around?

wow just realised it was only thursday ,monday is a long way away when we are talking about models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I think most of these lads are getting excited becasue they are predominantly all in the east. I've been sitting in the west watching all these cold spells and everyone seems to think we've been getting hammered all winter, I've seen 1 shower of snow. The North got the best of it last time and the East looks like it'll get it this time. This country's location seems to always put us on marginal snow events... stupid Atlantic, so any sign of anything and ye're all gone mad.

But continue I'm enjoying it :D

This is the ECM precip forcast for Monday which Met Eireann use

090129_1200_102.png

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Gonzo wrote: »
    that rte forecast was very dissapointing especially after the fact they were starting to come around to our way of thinking this morning, also just saw the sky news forecast and they have snow plastered over most of the uk for next week with dazzling sunshine in western areas, wales and all of Ireland. Neither channels are taking into account that the Irish Sea can produce showers over eastern Ireland, but what are the chances of this happening? could we see excellent lake snow conditions or will it just end up with nothing materialisng over the Irish sea? Its sure gonna be cold but im just a bit worried that there may not be a whole lot of precipitation around?

yeah there seemed to a lot more optimism earlier today re snow amounts..i'm nearly glad meteireann are not predicting a lot of snow at this stage..usually they have warnings out for significant falls 2 or 3 days id advance and they never materialise. so heres hoping they underestimate things this time around.

Hopefully we will get some Icycles like this ;)
    28 Dec 2000
    2dkiy50.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Yeah I found that strange and Sky's long range also the same.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

@ Pangea - nicicles! :)

I am concerned about the potential lack of precip! Although the chart D'man2 just posted is good as the northeast wind for Dublin has the longest fetch over the Irish Sea but you tend to get snow streamers (hit & miss).

This is actaully mad - it's 5 days away! I'll wait until Sunday to go negative. :p

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    @ Pangea - nicicles! :)

I am concerned about the potential lack of precip! Although the chart D'man2 just posted is good as the northeast wind for Dublin has the longest fetch over the Irish Sea but you tend to get snow streamers (hit & miss).

This is actaully mad - it's 5 days away! I'll wait until Sunday to go negative. :p

Well really just 3 days away, this time 3 days we will be seeing the cold push in the 850hpa temps dip to -10c and dewpoints drop like stones, then snow showers should begin to be created in the Irish sea. All going well.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement