Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sleeper cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

tedpan wrote: »
    That 550i is nice, but if it shot off in front of me from the lights I wouldn't be shocked. Not really a sleeper in my opinion.

Not sure how a regular 5 series with a 5 litre V8 under the bonnet wouldn't be classed as a sleeper.
    Stick a 520d badge at the back and you wouldn't look twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bear1 wrote: »
    Not sure how a regular 5 series with a 5 litre V8 under the bonnet wouldn't be classed as a sleeper.
    Stick a 520d badge at the back and you wouldn't look twice.

The only thing is the twin exhaust which those in the know will assume it's a 535d at the very most. And us in the know would get some surprise from that.

I have a 2.5 petrol e36 with a single exhaust and it's debadged. I've had a few laaaads in tdi pisshats and the like take me on thinking it's a 318is and I've eaten them up and spit them out. Maybe not a sleeper but enough to surprise people.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

Going back a few years I used to have a Ford 100E 2 door Popular in red oxide (I kinda liked the colour so just left it!)
    Externally, apart from the Mk IV Cortina steels it looked like a bog standard grandads Sunday motor.
    Internally it had a Pinto 2 litre breathing through a Weber twin choke on a 2L Capri axle and front clip. It used to fishtail like a startled dolphin and at 'ye olde traffic lights grand prix' it would absolutely devastate any XR3i or Golf GTi. Much fun was had with that one.
    THAT is what a sleeper is and is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

The only thing is the twin exhaust which those in the know will assume it's a 535d at the very most. And us in the know would get some surprise from that.

I have a 2.5 petrol e36 with a single exhaust and it's debadged. I've had a few laaaads in tdi pisshats and the like take me on thinking it's a 318is and I've eaten them up and spit them out. Maybe not a sleeper but enough to surprise people.

That's a great sounding engine. Particularly with the original exhaust around 4k rpm.

That's a great sounding engine. Particularly with the original exhaust around 4k rpm.

Once the roar kicks in after 3.5k revs there is nothing like it! A nice change when used to the narrow band of a diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I'd consider my own car a sleeper. An ordinary looking Highline Passat TDI with 290bhp, 600nm torque( was 240 standard but got a slight remapp) Easily does 0-62 5-5.5 secs and top speed 150-160mph. It just blends in with the rest of the 1.6s, insurance reasonable on it too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

MAJJ wrote: »
    To continue the Lexus theme

The power in these for similar reason as the 450H really surprised me and the look shape of car never gave it away.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-lexus-rx400h-massive-spec-nct-2019-unreal-value/14943145

I met a guy on the M7 a few weeks ago in one of them who tried to play the sleeper card , i guess he figured he'd show the little white TDI A3 who was boss.

600nm?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

600nm?!

They're 500nm stock.

Not doubting it just a massive amount of torque.
    It's the bi turbo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Got to be honest here, that paragraph - ****ing cringe.

bidiots wrote: »
    Got to be honest here, that paragraph - ****ing cringe.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I have a cx-7 for farting round the wife and kid and shopping
    It's a 2.3 MPs running gear and engine defined for torque at 244bhp
    Its got funny in gear acceleration

Tigger wrote: »
    I have a cx-7 for farting round the wife and kid and shopping
    It's a 2.3 MPs running gear and engine defined for torque at 244bhp
    Its got funny in gear acceleration

As in the ratios?

It's the same in the 3 sport, sitting at 120kph in top gear and it's revving somewhere between 3.5 and 4k

As in the ratios?

It's the same in the 3 sport, sitting at 120kph in top gear and it's revving somewhere between 3.5 and 4k

The three sport is a beast I'd say
    Think I'd like a 6 on decent suspension

The 3 mps is something else, had a lend of one for a couple weeks a year ago.
    The 3 sport is only 150/160bhp, it's no slouch but it's nothing like the mps.

Very strange gearing in the 5 speed gearbox, it's really not made for motorway driving.
    It's great fun on windy B roads, I don't know if it's standard but the one I picked up has very subtle negative camber on the front wheels. Just enough to notice as you really push it through a corner.

The 3 mps is something else, had a lend of one for a couple weeks a year ago.
    The 3 sport is only 150/160bhp, it's no slouch but it's nothing like the mps.

Very strange gearing in the 5 speed gearbox, it's really not made for motorway driving.
    It's great fun on windy B roads, I don't know if it's standard but the one I picked up has very subtle negative camber on the front wheels. Just enough to notice as you really push it through a corner.

Yeah it's the 3mps or 6 mps I was meaning
    The cx-7 is very easy to drive fast but you could lose the run of yourself very easily going into bends too fast cos you don't feel it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

They're 500nm stock.

Eh no.. I had the 170BHP Passat, that was 350nm stock

http://www.parkers.co.uk/volkswagen/passat/saloon-2005/20-sport-tdi-(170ps)-4d/specs/

Which Passat are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wasn't that your old car?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Wasn't that your old car?

Similar - I had the Elite spec rather than the SRi spec. Same engine. Great car to drive, very comfy and very quick.

Oddly enough the reg numbers are very similar given there would not have been many of these engines in the country - mine was 08D69205 vs the above 08D69201

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably Opel Ireland launch cars I'd say.

Colleague has one and the petrol costs drive him to tears.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Colleague has one and the petrol costs drive him to tears.

Can't be that bad on petrol, surely? What mpg?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Can't be that bad on petrol, surely? What mpg?

Think he said he struggles to get less than 11 per 100km.
    The though you surely couldn't expect it to sip petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Think he said he struggles to get less than 11 per 100km.
    The though you surely couldn't expect it to sip petrol.

I averaged 11.5l/100km so about 20mpg.

On a long motorway run, it would drop to about 9l/100km or 26mpg.

Very heavy car on petrol.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

IrishZeus wrote:

IrishZeus wrote:

IrishZeus wrote:

What car have you owned that's not heavy on petrol?? :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

IrishZeus wrote: »

That's not too bad compared to some of the 'petrol' cars I've had, one would struggle to get to 21mpg on a motorway run lol (didn't last long - lovely car though).

Advertisement