Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

How the hell did you find that Colm? Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

long time lurker on this thread and it's predecessors. in the market for a bit of bangernomics now, looking around at the likes of these Rav4's. I'm undecided whether a diesel or petrol would be more suitable, as i'll be hitting around the 18k miles per year range.

petrol

diesel

There are quite a few out there, anything in particular i should look out for in models of that vintage? Also, does anyone know if these have ISOFIX harnesses in the rear seats?

That generation diesel RAV4 is best avoided. The 1.8 2wd isn't far off fuel economy wise and doesn't have the huge chance of expensive repairs that's pretty much a given with the diesel ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Renault Laguna Diesel Privilege

NDk4MTI5ZDdlMGYzMTA4ODExYzE5MzQ2MzRhMjI3NjiInDvLK1xvXO2MKisPBhxJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MjE0MjI2NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Mileage 214,378 mi
    Fuel Type Diesel
    Transmission Manual
    Engine Size 2.0 litre
    NCT Expiry Feb 2018

Road tax might be 700 spons or thereabouts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

€570 tax for Laguna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

plys wrote: »
    long time lurker on this thread and it's predecessors. in the market for a bit of bangernomics now, looking around at the likes of these Rav4's.

Hi Plys,

What car will you be coming from?

The Petrol you linked looks like its from the 01-03 range - there was a facelift for the 04/05 models.

I have been driving an 05 petrol for well over a year now and it has been completely hassle free. It has ISOFIX in the rear seats.
    When I was buying I elected to not go Diesel for reliability. My mileage is 15k per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Hi Plys,

What car will you be coming from?

The Petrol you linked looks like its from the 01-03 range - there was a facelift for the 04/05 models.

I have been driving an 05 petrol for well over a year now and it has been completely hassle free. It has ISOFIX in the rear seats.
    When I was buying I elected to not go Diesel for reliability. My mileage is 15k per year.

Thanks Angelica Faint Union. planning to buy as a second car. have been struggling on with one car in the house for a good while, with the missus driving it to work, and me on public transport... but the bus eireann strike finally broke me! Other car is '08 Honda Accord ctdi so will be a change going back to petrol.

whatever about fuel, tax, insurance costs, i'm a big fan of no maintenance surprises..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,733 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1-owner-vw-passat-taxed-and-nctd-like-new/15287801

YWE1YmQ2MDBkZGQyNDg3ZjdhNmMwYmU1N2Q3NDc2MTQBQmVnTEspVcy1ttAjmQyAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MjU4NDE5NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A one owner Passat for 1k with full history with Air Con.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,733 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Renault Laguna Diesel Privilege

NDk4MTI5ZDdlMGYzMTA4ODExYzE5MzQ2MzRhMjI3NjiInDvLK1xvXO2MKisPBhxJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MjE0MjI2NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Mileage 214,378 mi
    Fuel Type Diesel
    Transmission Manual
    Engine Size 2.0 litre
    NCT Expiry Feb 2018

Road tax might be 700 spons or thereabouts...

Only a brave man would buy from there, and to make it worse it's a bloody Renault :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

KC161 wrote: »
    Only a brave man would buy from there, and to make it worse it's a bloody Renault :rolleyes:

A Laguna 3 is a solid car. But I would be very cautious about the Laguna 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

plys wrote: »
    long time lurker on this thread and it's predecessors. in the market for a bit of bangernomics now, looking around at the likes of these Rav4's. I'm undecided whether a diesel or petrol would be more suitable, as i'll be hitting around the 18k miles per year range.

petrol

I've been driving myself around in

There are quite a few out there, anything in particular i should look out for in models of that vintage? Also, does anyone know if these have ISOFIX harnesses in the rear seats?

I've been driving a 2001 petrol one for almost 2 years now. Put it in for in nct this time last year all it needed was a wiper blade. Can't beat it for reliability, it's the second car in the household also, my wife's diesel focus gets more family use. As already stated they are certainly not heavy on juice.

I'm tinkering with the idea of a change at the minute, have my eye on a 2005 Honda CR-V with 240k miles on it, a whole 100,000 more than my Toyota .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

grogi wrote: »
    A Laguna 3 is a solid car. But I would be very cautious about the Laguna 3.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Super sexy looking Volvo C70 with tax/nct and a gas conversion. Surely could be got for under 2k...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo/15222158

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Can someone explain to me the significance of the Ferrari stickers? I've seen em o a few Volvos

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Can someone explain to me the significance of the Ferrari stickers? I've seen em o a few Volvos

They are 'prancing moose' stickers, there's a guy in the US called Dave Barton who sells them. They are kind of a p!ss take but cultish among Swedish car drivers. Debatable whether they add/detract from the look of the car. They would look pretty ridiculous on a 340 I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fiat Panda E950
    Tax out soon but NCT until May 2018
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/fiat/panda/2004-fiat-panda/12706052

Nzk5YzFmZWM1NzgzYWY3YjdkOGZmYjU2NDA0ZTdjYTEiQbJbAySSM73AwckRLbp0aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNWI3ZjFiNmI1NTU0ZjExYTc5NzY3MzBkZWZmNjU0MzU2MDgxNWU2ZjZhMDkyYTczMzc5OTA5MTdhYTA4MDc3Yi5qcGd8fHx8fHwyOTV4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Advertisement

Hmmm, German plates aside that's a lot of car for a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

NCT to 5/18 for €999[/quote]

Nct to 5/17
    Needs a windscreen to pass ,

• Registered Users Posts: 64,925 ✭✭✭✭unkel

NCT to 5/18 for €999

Whoa. Brand new NCT till 05/18? Thought it was too good to be true. Read the ad again. It just failed the NCT, but comes with a fail sheet. Also needs a new windscreen.

Edit: jharr100 beat me to it :D

If it does only need a windscreen to pass, it's still a very nice find!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

unkel wrote: »
    Whoa. Brand new NCT till 05/18? Thought it was too good to be true. Read the ad again. It just failed the NCT, but comes with a fail sheet. Also needs a new windscreen.

Edit: jharr100 beat me to it :D

If it does only need a windscreen to pass, it's still a very nice find!

I priced up a windscreen earlier (350) and then went down to view the car.
    It's a lot rougher in person, the front bumper is hanging off on passenger side, rear bumper was used to bump things, the paint in general looks like it belongs on a car worth 1000.

Still, these things are going for 3000.

The test drive told a bit more, very lumpy on idle (when cold and warm) a lot of hesitation when pulling in low range. A little bit of smoke behind me when pulling off from lights(while it was cold).
    I'm not sure what those engines are like but the oil cap was covered in white goop, could be nothing. No trace of oil in reservoir.

Edit, windshield has to be replaced, huge crack going from left to right.
    The interior was a bit worn but respectable for 90,000km

• Registered Users Posts: 64,925 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Christ. I hope you ran a mile :p

I like them. Rare now

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement