Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

MisterDrak wrote: »
    I should know this (as I have DCC ), but I assumed without you still get the driving modes (Normal, Sport, Eco, Individual) but just don't get the ability to change the suspension setting as part of each mode ???

See image for ref.

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/43431382+q100+re0/2015-volkswagen-gti-driving-mode-selection.jpg

The Leon FR gets driving modes without DCC but I don't think you can option it without DCC on the GTI.

On cars without DCC isn't it part of the sound pack? Into sport mode and the actuator comes on with it? On the Leon/Octavia there's a button for switching modes on versions without DCC.

Saw that pack on the UK configurator btw.

Sport and sound pack is only available on the GTD afaik where there is a resonator in the exhaust that makes it louder. I think the calipers are also painted red (like the gti) with this pack.

All gti's have a soundaktor but it will only get louder if the car comes with DCC and is switched to sport mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Munurty

Sport and sound pack is only available on the GTD afaik where there is a resonator in the exhaust that makes it louder. I think the calipers are also painted red (like the gti) with this pack.

All gti's have a soundaktor but it will only get louder if the car comes with DCC and is switched to sport mode.

You're on the ball.

I have a GTD with sport and sound.
    It gives me 4 driving modes. Sport, Eco, Normal and Individual. I don't have comfort mode because I don't have DCC.
    The modes are activated by a button to the left of the gear stick.

The pack brought the red calipers and the resonator in the exhaust too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

I started this thread initially when trying to decide whether to get the GTI or GTD.
    Decided on GTI performance in the end and so here it is.
    I have to say that the car has easily met my expectations and more.
    Very easy to get along with in that it can be docile just pootling around and then great fun when you want to hustle a bit.It is quick but it's no rocket. Grip is amazing and it clings and clings. You wouldn't know it was front wheel drive most of the time.
    I always thought the gti would come in a bit under peoples radar but I've had people come over to look at it in car parks and craning their necks to get an eyeful while I'm driving.
    It feels like a more expensive car than its price to me too in terms of quality and fit and finish.
    Not missing an auto box at all either which surprises me.
    Those waiting won't be disappointed and I am sure the R is all this and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Well wear, it's gorgeous. I was so tempted to get that colour myself. Next time maybe...!

Well wear!

Looking very well indeed. :cool:

Glad to hear that it is exceeding your expectations. If the performance is not what you expected, you could always remap it in the future (maybe out of warranty if you keep it that long). Apparently 300 bhp is achievable easily with just a remap.

I got a call from my dealer yesterday, apparently mine is almost in the country and should be available for collection within the next couple of weeks.

Congratulations again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

any current MK7 GTI owners

My car is set to fold the mirrors in when locked, fold-out when the engine is activated (I have push button and keyless). I noticed only last week, that I also have the heated mirror option, so when I was driving along I turned the mirror control from bottom left option to bottom right (see pic below). Parked up as normal and the mirrors folded in.

OEM-Chrome-Side-Mirror-Switch-With-Fold-Function-For-VW-Golf-7-MK7-.jpg

Now my problem is if I turn the mirror control back to the bottom left option, the mirrors fold in regardless. So this means I'm driving with heated mirrors on all the time, which I don't need.

Anyone work this out I'm sure its something stupid :o and I don't want to RTFM :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Put it in the L, R or 0 position.

cheers - was just about to update this thread. I'm an idiot :) Put it in the "L" position and all is right with the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

On some VAG cars you can set L to drop the mirror when reversing. I have my car set to it and it's handy way to make sure you don't kerb a wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

On some VAG cars you can set L to drop the mirror when reversing. I have my car set to it and it's handy way to make sure you don't kerb a wheel.

Cool, after 18 months Im still learning things about my car...

Cool, after 18 months Im still learning things about my car...

Yeah I usually leave it in the "L" position, that way the passenger door mirror will dip down to whatever position you'd set it the last time you were reversing. Definitely handy when parallel parking but sometimes I switch it off as the mirror dipped down doesn't suit all parking situations ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

I notice a few R7 owners replied to the thread. I have one ordered since Dec. 18th but due to error by dealer I had to re-order on Feb. 26th. Wondering how long orders are taking as I have lost faith in the dealer. Hope to have 3dr White DSG pan roof by end of April at least. Also wondering what fuel economy is like.

I notice a few R7 owners replied to the thread. I have one ordered since Dec. 18th but due to error by dealer I had to re-order on Feb. 26th. Wondering how long orders are taking as I have lost faith in the dealer. Hope to have 3dr White DSG pan roof by end of April at least. Also wondering what fuel economy is like.

bbeeforsalmon,

Much the same thing happened to me, ordered the car and was left waiting an extra 4 weeks due to a dealer error, and then a delivery error... Anyway its good when it arrives. I have a white 5 door manual, with the Pano, and its a great option.

I keep an accurate record of the mileage with my phone app "Road Trip". But as iv said here before, most of my mileage is short city trips and the performance suffers as a result. See below.

http://i.imgur.com/FgKL0Ni.png?1

Average for the last 18 months driving the Manual is 30.59 MPG.

10-12 weeks would be the average order to delivery time. What did the dealer mess up the first time?

• Advertisement

I haven't been keeping quite a close eye on the mpg stats - but seem to get around 500km+ from a tank - also really only do small trips with the odd recreational drive. Mine is a 5 door DSG in oryx white with the pano roof also.

ondafly wrote: »
    Mine is a 5 door DSG in oryx white with the pano roof also.

How do you find the DSG ?

I've been thinking about changing to the DSG from the manual... A DSG or a Performance pack is the real question ???

How do you find the DSG ?

I've been thinking about changing to the DSG from the manual... A DSG or a Performance pack is the real question ???

Or both? :p Or an "R"?!

I ordered an R last week. 5 door, DSG. So I'll let you know in July how it compares :)

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Or both? :p Or an "R"?!

I ordered an R last week. 5 door, DSG. So I'll let you know in July how it compares :)

Bast*rd...

When I specked up the GTi with the DSG, the Pano, DCC, and Discovery Pro, it was 2K more that the R...

Thinking !!!!

Lapiz Blue ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Took dilivery of the "R" 3 march ,lapiz,5 door,DSG,19" cadiz.
    Averaging 26.4 mpg but i would expect that to rise after the novelty of travelling at warp speed wears off !

Original order date was 24th november but compared to UK delivery times i was fairly happy.

DSG is the only way to go.

Lapiz Blue ???

Yes! I was a bit undecided on the colour but having ruled out white (I've had 2 white cars in a row already), the selection beyond that isn't great. So I went for "the" R colour.

Also spec'd:
    - Wheel upgrade (the standard wheels look good but I wanted something a little different and I'm trying to get away from that diamond cut finish)
    - leather (The cloth interior looks a bit low rent IMO)
    - Keyless (have it in the GTI and would not be without it)
    - Driver Profile selection
    - "Free" Technology pack (includes Nav, rear camera, light assist)

Build Week 22 is also introducing upgrades to the media units (larger screens) so I'm hoping to get that too.

When you start spec'ing the GTI and the R side by side, the price differential can actually narrow. For example, 19" wheels are €800 on the GTI. Standard on the R. Keyless is €800-ish on the GTI and half that on the R (as the R has a standard alarm).

Wow joe that's a lovely spec you've ordered.
    Has the gti held its value well for you to trade to the R?
    I'm enjoying the gti. It's a great package I have to say.

carsfan wrote: »
    Wow joe that's a lovely spec you've ordered.
    Has the gti held its value well for you to trade to the R?
    I'm enjoying the gti. It's a great package I have to say.

Yeah, I did get what I think is a very good trade-in for my GTI. The dealer knows my car well and knows it's absolutely mint, so I think he went that little bit extra for me!

Agreed, the GTI is a great package. I only started looking to change because I have a 3-door and a recent new arrival makes the 3-door a pain in the arse. So I started looking at GTI's and then the R...

Congratulations on your new arrival.
    Did you notice a big step up in power in the R over your gti?

carsfan wrote: »
    Congratulations on your new arrival.
    Did you notice a big step up in power in the R over your gti?

I haven't driven an R... Yet! I've taken a chance, as there's no demo locally available but I'm confident it'll be a big step up based on the multitude of reviews I've read and watched ;)

Yeah, I did get what I think is a very good trade-in for my GTI. The dealer knows my car well and knows it's absolutely mint, so I think he went that little bit extra for me!

Agreed, the GTI is a great package. I only started looking to change because I have a 3-door and a recent new arrival makes the 3-door a pain in the arse. So I started looking at GTI's and then the R...

It's a no brainer Joe with the recent price drop in the R!

I would have considered an R only i'm currently doing too much mileage to justify it.

Have to say that i'm enjoying my GTI so far.

I had a low speed "run in" with a dog less than 24 hours after collecting it which damaged the lower mesh grill and number plate surround (luckily no damage to the ACC).

I also found a couple of sets of noticeable marks on two of the Austins (halfway up two spokes after first washing it) which i'm still attempting to get resolved.

The dealer is trying to get VW to resolve it but it has been going on for a few weeks now.

Anyone have any advice about how to get wheel issue resolved?

It's a no brainer Joe with the recent price drop in the R!

I would have considered an R only i'm currently doing too much mileage to justify it.

Have to say that i'm enjoying my GTI so far.

I had a low speed "run in" with a dog less than 24 hours after collecting it which damaged the lower mesh grill and number plate surround (luckily no damage to the ACC).

I also found a couple of sets of noticeable marks on two of the Austins (halfway up two spokes after first washing it) which i'm still attempting to get resolved.

The dealer is trying to get VW to resolve it but it has been going on for a few weeks now.

Anyone have any advice about how to get wheel issue resolved?

What kind of marks? Do they look milky and wormy? This is a severe example of it:

RED_MonzaWhiteWorm.jpg

If it's like that or starting to look like that, it's commonly known as whiteworm and it's a problem that affects these wheel finishes. If the wheel ever gets a nick or kerbed and the lacquer is broken, moisture gets in under the lacquer and that's the result. There's no stopping it once it starts. If your wheels has this already I'd be insisting on them being replaced under warranty. VW should have no problem replacing them so long as they are happy the damage didn't start after a kerbing.

If it's not whiteworm and just slight scratching or marring from a sponge or something then you'll probably have to live with it!

Cheers Joe,

No its not whiteworm. I know firsthand from my old MK5 what that looks like:(.

Basically, on giving the car its first wash (using lambswool mitt), I noticed some scratches on a single spoke on two wheels (both passenger side).

Took it straight to the dealer and had the aftersales manager take a look at them. He agreed that it wasn't kerbing or anything like that given the location of the damage.

He has been in contact numerous times with VW with no recourse so far. The problem is, the damage could have happened during transit or at the dealership. I assume that they were OK when leaving the factory.

I guess that I should be pushing for a warranty claim?

I wan't sure initially that a warranty claim was the way forward given that the damage had occured before I took ownership of the car.

I guess that it is something that should have been picked up during the PDI but wasn't.

So it's hairline scratches / marring? Have you tried a bit of polish on them, something like Autoglym paint renovator or ScratchX might be worth a try. I know these wheels are so easy to mark and with the shiny diamond cut finish every mark stands out like a sore thumb. This is the main reason I've spec'd the Pretorias on the R rather than the diamond cut Cadiz.

As you say it could have been caused in transport or at the PDI or in a subsequent wash. Have you seen the cars on the car transporters? The wheels are often strapped down, those straps may have scratched the wheels. I'd still push them for warranty replacement. Be insistent. I've found VW good on warranty issues in the past.

• Advertisement

MisterDrak
    I would be happy with that mpg. My focus rs was doing 25 on short runs.

JoeA3
    The dealer ordered the R without DSG but got the colour and 3dr correct.

Yep, they are really only scratches but I can feel them when I run my nail over them. That's the thing with the diamond cut alloys, any marks on the lacquer show up straight away.

I haven't tried to rub them out yet as I'm still waiting on an answer from my dealer.
    Good point on the transporters having the wheels strapped down.

Think you are right to choose the Pretorias...apart from not being diamond cut, they also look better imo.

I haven't driven an R... Yet! I've taken a chance, as there's no demo locally available but I'm confident it'll be a big step up based on the multitude of reviews I've read and watched ;)

You will be laughing like a mad man when you take it for that first spin...

After the obvious increase the performance the second thing you notice over the Gti is that that everything seems to be built 20% better, more solid, and insulated from external noise. Its just a more mature car all told...

Work must be going well Joe :D:D:D...

You will be laughing like a mad man when you take it for that first spin...

After the obvious increase the performance the second thing you notice over the Gti is that that everything seems to be built 20% better, more solid, and insulated from external noise. Its just a more mature car all told...

Work must be going well Joe :D:D:D...

haha, I'm not so sure about that! (The work part I mean!).

Interesting that you thought the cabin felt more insulated than the GTI? Perhaps that was just cos it was so new and it hadn't loosened up and started it's first rattle yet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hey folks,

So I had a Type R which I loved dearly but sold as we have an addition arriving in and around May and a 3 dr with bad mpg was no longer really an option.

10k in the bank, ready for the next car.

Flirted with the idea of the Diesel Ford ST but decided against it.

Went in the end and ordered the GTD (Typhoon Red), 5 dr and spec'd out up to 42k, inc leather, Santiago Alloys, tech pack, sport and sound etc.

(Incidentally, someone here mentioned that the red calipers come with the Sport and Sound - can they confirm as my garage said that it didn't!?)

Ordered on the 2nd week of Feb, expected 8-10 weeks. Found out yesterday production slot is week 27! Absolutely fuming!!

Waiting on garage to come back to me with their explanation/solution but I have little or no confidence in them at this stage.

I've located a black one in a different garage and have that option.

I considered the GTI, and even the R, but I do a lot of motorway driving and cannot help but see the appeal of some fuel economy.

However, someone mentioned the FR 184bhp Leon. Not to be sniffed at, what with the same engine and 10k cheaper.

Any thoughts?

everlast75 wrote: »
    (Incidentally, someone here mentioned that the red calipers come with the Sport and Sound - can they confirm as my garage said that it didn't!?)

Ordered on the 2nd week of Feb, expected 8-10 weeks. Found out yesterday production slot is week 27! Absolutely fuming!!

Yes it'll have the red calipers.

That's very unusual re the production date! Irish cars generally get delivered within 10-12 weeks, I've never heard of them taking much longer than that. I wonder what the story is? Did the dealer mess the order up or something...

Yes it'll have the red calipers.

That's very unusual re the production date! Irish cars generally get delivered within 10-12 weeks, I've never heard of them taking much longer than that. I wonder what the story is? Did the dealer mess the order up or something...

thanks Joe. I'm a stickler for details and asked about even ordering them to fit.. but was told they are exclusive to the GTI.

I'm not sure what the problem was re delivery. I explicitly advised of the urgency and what has p'd me off even more was the email yesterday notifying me did not contain an apology or explanation :-/

thanks Joe. I'm a stickler for details and asked about even ordering them to fit.. but was told they are exclusive to the GTI.

I'm not sure what the problem was re delivery. I explicitly advised of the urgency and what has p'd me off even more was the email yesterday notifying me did not contain an apology or explanation :-/

I'd push them for an explanation - for all the good it'll do. Someone has messed up somewhere. I'm actually hoping that my car build is delayed until week 22! I'd fully expect it to be built sooner than that if I didn't ask for it to be held back.

Sport and Sound definitely gives you the red calipers. Sure I even picked up a GTD brochure in the dealers last week and all the brochure photos have the car with red calipers :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd push them for an explanation - for all the good it'll do. Someone has messed up somewhere. I'm actually hoping that my car build is delayed until week 22! I'd fully expect it to be built sooner than that if I didn't ask for it to be held back.

Sport and Sound definitely gives you the red calipers. Sure I even picked up a GTD brochure in the dealers last week and all the brochure photos have the car with red calipers :pac:

I have and quoted his email on the 25.02.15 telling me the initial production slot was week 18, but that other GTDs ordered that week were week 14, so it was expected mine would more than likely be earlier than 14. That was in Feb.. until the email yesterday said week 27. I've no confidence with them re an explanation. They didn't even offer to ring around and see if they could source another GTD or apologise.

Fancy a swap with yours and mine ;)

Re the red calipers - it is on the brochure and I pointed that out but was told that was a mistake :confused:

Anyhoo, my options are
    1) to wait (not really a good option considering the soon to be addition)
    2) go for the black which isn't kitted out as much as the one I ordered (no sport and sound pack :( )
    3) investigate the Leon FR 184 as an alternative

I have and quoted his email on the 25.02.15 telling me the initial production slot was week 18, but that other GTDs ordered that week were week 14, so it was expected mine would more than likely be earlier than 14. That was in Feb.. until the email yesterday said week 27. I've no confidence with them re an explanation. They didn't even offer to ring around and see if they could source another GTD or apologise.

Fancy a swap with yours and mine ;)

Re the red calipers - it is on the brochure and I pointed that out but was told that was a mistake :confused:

Anyhoo, my options are
    1) to wait (not really a good option considering the soon to be addition)
    2) go for the black which isn't kitted out as much as the one I ordered (no sport and sound pack :( )
    3) investigate the Leon FR 184 as an alternative

I'd sit tight and wait... or at least find out what's going on. If you re-ordered the car with a different dealer today I'd expect it to be built sooner than that. You could probably manage with the 3 door for a few weeks? Are you a one-car household? It's also the reason I am changing - we had our first a few weeks ago and while the 3 door is a pain, it's manageable while the baby is still not overly heavy!

I'd sit tight and wait... or at least find out what's going on. If you re-ordered the car with a different dealer today I'd expect it to be built sooner than that. You could probably manage with the 3 door for a few weeks? Are you a one-car household? It's also the reason I am changing - we had our first a few weeks ago and while the 3 door is a pain, it's manageable while the baby is still not overly heavy!

Well the black GTD is ready and waiting, so no lead time there.

The Seat may be immediately available, plus 10k cheaper - same engine as the GTD too.

I don't know if I trust any answer coming from the garage I dealt with on my ordered GTD, so if they came back and said May I don't have any confidence that they are telling the truth tbh.

My civic is gone, so I am car-less and my wife has hers, but she's on maternity leave in 2 weeks and I don't fancy leaving her without a car for the weeks until the arrival.

PS - congrats on the baby!

Well the black GTD is ready and waiting, so no lead time there.

I don't know if I trust any answer coming from the garage I dealt with on my ordered GTD, so if they came back and said May I don't have any confidence that they are telling the truth tbh.

My civic is gone, so I am car-less and my wife has hers, but she's on maternity leave in 2 weeks and I don't fancy leaving her without a car for the weeks until the arrival.

PS - congrats on the baby!

Cheers!

I'd go into the dealers and ask them to show you the computer screen with your order and it's status. They have a direct link to the factory. My dealer sent me a screenshot yesterday of mine, after he'd just submitted my order. It actually shows the build week slot as well as all the options / packs you've selected.

Cheers!

I'd go into the dealers and ask them to show you the computer screen with your order and it's status. They have a direct link to the factory. My dealer sent me a screenshot yesterday of mine, after he'd just submitted my order. It actually shows the build week slot as well as all the options / packs you've selected.

That's one way of verifying the delivery date alright, but if it is (as suspected) week 27, that still leaves me in a massive predicament in the interim!

That's one way of verifying the delivery date alright, but if it is (as suspected) week 27, that still leaves me in a massive predicament in the interim!

It does but there's always a workaround. Don't do anything rash and saddle yourself with a car that you had to compromise on. It'll spoil the whole experience. Would the dealer give you the lend of a demo car for a few weeks, even if it's a Polo or something, it'd do for a short while? I'm sure if you spin the new baby story they will not say no ;)

• Advertisement

Appreciate that advice and completely understand, but 3 months without a car is above and beyond. I've had a loan of my dad's for the last two weeks and have to hand that back this week.
    I will definitely wait until they come back to me (in reality, call out as they never do return calls/emails) and see where we are at, but its shocking customer care and I'm loathe to hand over the cash (in July!!!) knowing that they'll get a tidy commission on the sale :(

Appreciate that advice and completely understand, but 3 months without a car is above and beyond. I've had a loan of my dad's for the last two weeks and have to hand that back this week.
    I will definitely wait until they come back to me (in reality, call out as they never do return calls/emails) and see where we are at, but its shocking customer care and I'm loathe to hand over the cash (in July!!!) knowing that they'll get a tidy commission on the sale :(

On the upside, you'll have a 152 reg and you'll get the spec tweaks that are supposedly due in BW 22 (larger screens on the radios, etc).

If I was in your position I'd call in there and demand to see the dealer principal, explain your case, tell them you are suspicious of what's going on as you know (from the likes of me!) that VW delivery rarely takes more than 10-12 weeks. Explain the new baby on the way... if they can't get the build week pulled back, they'll surely sort you out with a demo car in the interim.

I also know it is possible for them to swap build weeks - e.g. say they've another GTD on order and it has an earlier week, it could be possible to swap your spec onto that car.

If they say no to all that then I would go elsewhere tbh.

Got news on R today. Ordered dec 18th due March 10th. Dealer error no DSG so reordered feb 25 delivery late April or earlier but I never believed that. Now told it will be June. Yours ordered earlier but production week 27????? I could be looking at August

Going to email dealer and request screen shot to confirm. Thanks for the idea

Going to email dealer and request screen shot to confirm. Thanks for the idea

test drove the FR Leon at lunch. 150 bhp but didn't do the business for me. unfair comparison perhaps to the golf when it's 10k cheaper.

I got a big standard reply from VW today so I've given them 48 hours to get back with solid info.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement