Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

carsfan wrote: »
    Did you test drive the golf r before ordering?
    Are you getting any/many extras?
    I will have to make my mind up this week as have to order before the end of the month to avail of vw 151 upgrade offers and I am getting a good deal on trade in for a golf. Think will go gti as I feel it will be much more fun driving.
    Why did you go r over gti? Besides the obvious 300 bhp and 4wd!

I am also considering upgrading to a GTI. My annual mileage is around 28000km so it is borderline diesel territory.

Think i'd regret a GTD as it would just not be as much fun as the GTI and for the ~10-15mpg benefit, would not be worth it to me (At least that's how i'm trying to justify it in my head!).

Do you mind me asking what dealer you are considering going with?

Will have to do some legwork this week and see what trade in offers they'll give me on my i40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

I live in the mid west so have dealt with dealers in munster.
    They are all keen to do business and after a lot of haggling I think are giving me very good trade in and combined with the VW upgrade offer of tech pack and 3 services I will go ahead I think.the dealers all are within a couple of hundred euro.
    in the last couple of hours after reading previous posts I am looking at the r on the configurator but think gti performance is all I need.
    The Irish times motoring supplement described the gti performance as a 5 door porsche and said the r was not worth it.
    PM me if you want more specifics re. dealer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Casati

I am also considering upgrading to a GTI. My annual mileage is around 28000km so it is borderline diesel territory.

Think i'd regret a GTD as it would just not be as much fun as the GTI and for the ~10-15mpg benefit, would not be worth it to me (At least that's how i'm trying to justify it in my head!).

Do you mind me asking what dealer you are considering going with?

Will have to do some legwork this week and see what trade in offers they'll give me on my i40.

It sound like you want to go for the R! If you are going with PCP then the difference per month to step up will be minimal - I'm sure you don't need 300 bhp but the R looks amazing value for the performance on offer. As the tax is still reasonable on it & and the carafes will pay a premium for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Did you test drive the golf r before ordering?
    Are you getting any/many extras?
    I will have to make my mind up this week as have to order before the end of the month to avail of vw 151 upgrade offers and I am getting a good deal on trade in for a golf. Think will go gti as I feel it will be much more fun driving.
    Why did you go r over gti? Besides the obvious 300 bhp and 4wd!

Lapis blue
    5 door dsg
    Sat nav and rear view camera standard and a service pack thrown in if you order before end of November .
    For the extra 5 grand over the Gti I think you will,always be kicking yourself you did not go the extra mile to get the R.
    Never drove one !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

The recession must be over if we are all thinking of getting out of our diesel 520s and into petrol gti/r golfs.

Carsfan,
    Think your right. We were down in a nice hotel in Wicklow for the weekend and when I came out to get my car in the morning, 2 other Gti's were parked side by side (so 3 in total), mine white, others Carbon and the silver..

I waited for 10 minutes wanting to strike up a conversation with the other owners, but nobody turned up...

• Advertisement

Now trying to decide on final spec for the car.
    Any body opinions on the options. I would like leather as that's what I have and think it improves the look and feel of the interior.
    Anybody have it in theirs?

I got the DCC, the Panoramic Sunroof, and the Discovery Pro sat.

I use usually leave the DCC in comfort mode, rather that anything more extreme. I do get tired of sport rather quickly driving on normal roads. But it is nice to have the option to change at will.

The sunroof, is a nice touch, it just makes the whole cabin and more present place to be, obviously brighter. Also nice when the roof is fully retracted, if going for a country drive.

Almost never use the Sat Nav or Media player, probably could have saved some money here, In saying that, when im waiting for the kids to finish football, its nice to put on a movie...

Meant to say that I stayed with the tartan, leather would have been a stretch to far...

My other query is dsg or manual.
    I'm used to auto for last 8 years and like the ease of use.
    My wife says an auto gti is an oxymoron and may as well not bother.
    The manual on the demo I drove was very nice however.

Just went for the Manual, and have no idea about the DSG.

I would like to try one at some point, possibly when I replace this GTi...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Now trying to decide on final spec for the car.
    Any body opinions on the options. I would like leather as that's what I have and think it improves the look and feel of the interior.
    Anybody have it in theirs?

Leather is lovely - but it's very expensive and VW leather quality isn't the best from what I've seen. How about a (cheaper) compromise. The half-leather / alcantara option. I spec'd this and it's very nice, and it's less than half the cost of full leather.

null_zps365b6001.jpg

Keyless entry is another very useful option, definitely one I'd glad I spec'd.

• Advertisement

That half leather/alcantara looks lovely.
    Can I ask are the arm rests covered in leather/leatherette and is the centre portion of the seat alcantara or the normal fabric.finally are the back of the front seats leather or fabric?
    It looks lovely as you get to keep the check pattern. Any more pics?
    I'm deffo going keyless option too.

Think you might find a manual hard to go back too after diving an auto for 8 years. It would be allright initially but I think the novelty might wer off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

I had the dsg + paddles in my last gti. It's a bit marmite, but I think it's incredible and is perfect for the car.
    If you happen to drive a lot of back country roads, perhaps the manual is better initially, but once you get used to the paddles it's just as good there too.
    The other 95% of my time dsg was better without doubt. Requires strict maintainence intervals too.
    The gear change and engine blipping are the best around.
    Personally, I wouldn't dream of getting any VAG without it.

Is anyone driving the mk7 gti or R without the dcc? I'm thinking its probably necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

blingrhino wrote: »
    Lapis blue
    5 door dsg
    Sat nav and rear view camera standard and a service pack thrown in if you order before end of November .
    For the extra 5 grand over the Gti I think you will,always be kicking yourself you did not go the extra mile to get the R.
    Never drove one !

I've also ordered similar spec, 5 door dsg, Lapiz blue, leather. Lots of other bits and pieces come as standard. Didn't bother with the DCC or upgraded professional nav. Test drove the one Keanes had a couple of months ago. Didn't think it was worth the "old" premium over the GTI but with the price and spec changes it makes a lot more sense now.

You guys really make me feel like a miser!
    There I was fretting over fuel economy between gtd/gti when all these R buyers come out of the woodwork. the dealer did tell me he has more R's on order than gti.Now I am fretting over spending money on extras.

That half leather/alcantara looks lovely.
    Can I ask are the arm rests covered in leather/leatherette and is the centre portion of the seat alcantara or the normal fabric.finally are the back of the front seats leather or fabric?
    It looks lovely as you get to keep the check pattern. Any more pics?
    I'm deffo going keyless option too.

Yes, armrest, door cards, seat backs, backs of headrests, are all covered in leather (or more likely "leatherette"). It's pretty much the same coverage as full leather except for the centre of the seats (fabric) and the inside of the bolsters (alcantara).
    The centres of the seats are the normal check-pattern fabric.

Here's another pic:
    null_zps7f7b6774.jpg
    null_zpsd2ae79a9.jpg

Thanks for putting up those pictures.
    I think that does lift the interior a lot.
    I will go manual with carbon grey metallic, keyless and either leather or alcantara/leather combination.
    The car is very well equipped as it is.
    l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Ah jesus, was hoping with my R on order I'll be unique, but seems to be an invasion coming!! (brace yourself!)

What build week are ye all getting? I have build week 51 which is quite good seeing I ordered it 2 weeks ago. UK guys are seeing up to 6months waiting time.

Hi joe
    Are there any issues with keeping the suede/cloth or is it wipe able with damp cloth?
    Thanks

Joe,

I do like that alcantara trim, if I go again, im ordering that...

What do you use as mats ? Just the standards ones supplied with the car, or do you have additional on top of that ?

Also do you find any scuffing on the GTi kick boards / sills, if so have to you keep them in order ?

• Advertisement

No issue with keeping it clean. Mine is as spotless as when it left the factory, but then again I am very particular about minding the car. That could change when our baby arrives in the new year!! I do very occasionally wipe the alcantara on the bolsters with a slightly damp cloth, but other than that, nothing. The alcantara on the drivers side lower bolster is a little "loose" compared to the passenger side but nothing very noticeable really.

I replaced the driver's mat with an OEM style one from Micksgarage. It's identical in fit to the standard mat except it has an extra "heel scuff" mat in the middle of it, so it's much more hard wearing than the standard one.

The sills are fine... maybe very light scuffing on the drivers side one, again barely noticeable.

damo86 wrote: »
    Ah jesus, was hoping with my R on order I'll be unique, but seems to be an invasion coming!! (brace yourself!)

What build week are ye all getting? I have build week 51 which is quite good seeing I ordered it 2 weeks ago. UK guys are seeing up to 6months waiting time.

Didn't get a build week but I'm presuming Feb, Mar delivery. What spec you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Went for the 5dr, DSG, winterpack, tech pack (free), cloth, discover pro nav (only because the normal standard nav is frustratingly slow), keyless entry, sunroof, adaptive suspension and dyna audio. Going to keep the car a long time thats why I have a load of extras.

Should have mine in Jan the dealer said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Hi joe
    Are there any issues with keeping the suede/cloth or is it wipe able with damp cloth?
    Thanks

When i got my golf this year i went for the Autoglym lifeshine package for interior and exterior although it cost 290 euro it was worth it . Car still looks good after 25000 km. I compared a gti performance against the R on the configurator ticking a lot of boxes for the gti .. cost more than the R .. if i could afford it ... it would have to be the R a extra 70 bhp plus four wheel drive for 9500 less than the original asking price .. I had a spin in a gtd even with 180 bhp it didn't feel that exciting and it costs more to buy over gti ..

damo86 wrote: »

Ordered last Thursday , salesman tells me 10 weeks so probably mid feb at the latest - I hope !
    Anybody go for 19" (€1120 extra ) . I'm sticking with the poverty spec 18" :)
    Also could nt justify the leather .
    Are the standard seats heated ?

blingrhino wrote: »
    Ordered last Thursday , salesman tells me 10 weeks so probably mid feb at the latest - I hope !
    Anybody go for 19" (€1120 extra ) . I'm sticking with the poverty spec 18" :)
    Also could nt justify the leather .
    Are the standard seats heated ?

19" Cadiz are standard now. Don't think the standard seats are heated unless you select the winter pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

As bazman said, you need the winter pack, it's not expensive at all, in the scheme of things.

I'm holding off till the demos arrive in Jan for a proper test drive. Sounds like the price change has attracted plenty buyers,which is great

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

My 2 cents

Mk7 GTD 24,000km 21/2/14

Long term Mpg has dropped below 40mpg :eek: Maybe 60% motorway at 132km/h

Extras
    Deep pearl black...............love the understated black, I don't wash the car enough to justify the pearl effect over the plain black
    DSG.................................last car had it, would never go back to manual
    Sport and sound pack............Love the fake external exhaust note explains why mpg is so bad
    19" santiagos.........................Ride is perfect in my opinion I would never shell out on dcc
    Alcantara seats........................love them, no problem keeping them clean
    Reversing camera......................a cheapish gimmick semi useful
    Tinted windows............................now standard
    Xenons..........................................now standard
    Adaptive cruise control .....................brilliant, now standard

Extras I didn't get but would like
    Auto Aircon............now standard
    Parking sensors......now standard
    A Golf R :p

Extras I don't have but don't miss
    DCC
    Keyless
    Heated seats

Loads of mk7 info and pics @ http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/

Best of luck with the new orders

PS I have the VCDS cable, Pm me if anyone wants a hand to do a few tweeks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had DCC in my old Passat CC and it was a great feature given our roads. I'd say it's well worth specing it in something like a GTi or R too. DSG is other extra I'd spec too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 kearneyrob

Hi all, new to this thread but just ordered 151 golf GTD with the following:

a) solid black (debated about deep black pearl but felt solid black is ok in the event of small repairs, e.g. stone chips). Any views on this versus deep black pearl or other colours ?

b) DCC;

c) leather seats;

d) navigation pro;

e) pan sunroof;

f) dynaudio;

g) park control.

Considered winter pack but as I have heated seats and headlamp washer system the only added features I would get is heated washer nozzles (and low water washer level warning or is this standard ?). The rest is standard spec to current GTD including reverse camera / light assist (free tech pack).

Coming from 09 quattro Audi A5 so intend to keep this baby for a while - considered replacement A5 but design / features are quite dated plus Audi wanted €1,750 for adaptive cruise control alone !!!

Would welcome your thoughts on the above spec - anything else I should consider ?

Thanks, Rob

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement