Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Coming down to the wire, it’s ALL happening… unbelievable test, brilliant ending…

Pakistan need 38 from 9 overs but they are 7 wickets down…

we are seeing misfields, dropped catches, wickets…all happening…

slightly favouring Pakistan here as the NZ bowlers and fielders look absolutely exhausted and are giving up a boundary every over…

Blundell has had a good game with the bat for NZ but he glove work has been iffy.

as I type Southee picks up Hasan Ali LBW…. Advantage New Zealand

Sarfaraz caught behind, 9 down 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Plenty of time wasting from both sides at times as they are both unable to make up their mind whether they want to win.

New Zealand now the favourites with that new ball. Can't see too many overs left with the light fading.

Sarfaraz gone! Gloved to leg slip.

New Zealand just one away from victory.

Thing is Pakistan can't win here as all New Zealand have to do is bring on a pace bowler and the umpires will automatically go off for bad light.

And in the end it finishes in a draw after all the drama. That's everything you want from a test match with all results possible right until the end but can't help but feel a bit disappointed that one side didn't get the win.

Elsewhere the rain in Sydney seems to have ruined that Australia-South Africa test match. Sydney is notorious for unpredictable weather. Still almost 200 overs possible for the last two days if the rain stays away and from what we have seen from South Africa in this series, that's still plenty of time for Australia to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Tense finish to the Pakistan New Zealand game even for a neutral. I'm actually quite glad it finished in a draw, great fun.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

So frustrated by all of that. The time wasting by each team and the umpires, the lack of intent in going for the win by both sides and then going off for light.

Draw…. Pakistan save the test or rather light saves them.

strange ending… looks like the light wasn’t offered, Aleem Dar insisting that the players leave the field and bad light stops play and ends the test and series draw.

Can be no query over the decision…. Gotten very dark very quickly and Pakistani lads accept their fate and handshakes all round… which is good to see as strangly there seemed to be a reasonably animated discussion between Alex Wharf and Aleem Dar as the decision was made and as they walked away from the field…

There’s no more offering the light, it’s the umpire’s decision entirely.

Fair result the draw, both sides spent long periods of today trying not to lose it so should be happy. Second session by Pakistan in particular and Ajaz bowling so negatively

Yeah it hasn’t happened in years, brain fart…. 🤷‍♂️🫣

New South African T20 league starts today. Can’t say I know much about the teams but Archer and Curran are bowling at Buttler and Roy. Eoin Morgan is also in that team. Marco Jansen has an identical twin brother. Beautiful bright day in Cape Town, good crowd in, worse ways of spending your evening.

• Advertisement

Very good crowd isn't it. Bleurgh my least favourite man on comms.

Isn't there a T20 kicking off in UAE shortly too? I'm sure a few from the Big Bash are off to UAE (at least I think that's what they said, maybe I misheard).

Joe Root is going to the UAE one I believe. Stats of which won’t go towards the player’s list A T20 record, read into that what you will.

New Zealand in free fall collapse vs Pakistan in the 2nd ODI in Karachi.

they’ve gone from 182/2 to 220/7 in 11 overs.

340 was on the cards but 270/280 would be good going from here.

political grandstanding, but you couldn’t expect any different from the current leadership there.

the Afghan cricketers, Afghan management and coaching team, Afghan cricket supporters have zero to do with these decisions…. If anything this will serve to entrench such miserable ideas and ideals.

the matches were due to be held in the UAE…

you can flog and stone criminals in the UAE for petty offences.

both Freedom House and Amnesty International absolutely rate the UAE as one of the worse off countries as regards human rights, but …..Australia signed up to go there, again. So playing there is grand but playing Afghanistan isn’t ? Mind boggling.

Australia always seem to be the worst for this. It’s a big mess caused by the ICC though. Membership is based on having women’s teams so Afghanistan shouldn’t be even an option since Biden screwed them with his cowardly withdrawal letting the Taliban in charge.

ICC left it to the individual boards and of course they did what was best for themselves. In Australias case, play Afghanistan in their home T20 World Cup no problem and then take the moral high ground when it was easy and wouldn’t cost them anything.

Big hundred for Kohli again today in an odi against Sri Lanka. Looks like he’s well and truly out of his slump now. Which is great to see, he can rub the wrong way and it was enjoyable to see him fail for a while but he’s a fantastic player and I’m happy he is back making runs again.

Good timing as well with a big series against Australia around the corner. That should be cricket worth getting up early for.

The ILT20 UAE effort is as soulless and empty as I expected. Some very good players along with a variety of journeymen playing in front of rows and rows and rows of empty seats.

Edit: and the leading wicket taker/run scorer gets a belt that looks like they painted a couple of WWE belts they got from Argos.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Crazy stat that there have been ten double hundreds in ODI cricket and seven have been by Indians. Shubman Gill did it today against New Zealand. Bowlers doing the rest now.

Start of a World Cup year in India and they are starting to look formidable.

The whole India vs New Zealand series is live on Youtube for the UK and Ireland incidentally. No tv channel has picked it up.

In reply, New Zealand were 131-6 chasing 350 and somehow Bracewell and Santner have a partnership going which is at 160 at the moment and they now need 59 from the last 5 overs. Would be as sensational a chase as anything before it if they can pull it off.

Enjoying watching SA vs England in Bloemfontein… such a wonderfully colourful and beautifully picturesque ground.

pitch is great so plenty of runs in the offing although England have bowled with real quality and are limiting SA to around 300 or so.

have to say going back to his Channel 4 days way back I’ve always been a big fan of Mark Nicholas on commentary… he was wasted when various broadcasters used to shoehorn him into a presenting / anchor slot… far more value for the cricket viewer to have him contribute play by play…. Knows his stuff and is an easy / interesting listen.

• Advertisement

6.08 required off the last 25 for England. 9 wickets remaining… not easy but straightforward you’d say.

as I type, Duckett with a tailenderesque swipe and caught behind. Might be life in this as a contest yet.

Brook follows quickly, dreadful shot, a lazy looking prod that a tail ender would wince at…nowhere near the ball.

considering the long English tail, things have swung back around even.

plenty of bat on ball but everything is hitting the fielders.

And England hit the wall….

when your openers set you up both in terms of runs scored and the rate they scored them… but after you more or less collapse. Middle order not firing and the tail collapsing, offering nada...

Vice Captain he might be but 35 year old Moeen Ali.. not moving very efficiently in the field or scoring runs…and his overall ODI career

ODI ‘s : 123

Batting Average : 25

50’s/100’s : 5/3

Wickets : 95

If there’s a ready made replacement even just as in a batsman, I’d say thanks Moeen, we are moving on…. That’s a poor record really.

Picked as a number 6 batsman / batting all rounder….. in other words, lower middle order, not the tail so you’d expect him to make you runs. He hasn’t, wickets ? Averages far less then 1 wicket per game…in his ODI career…

he’s had his moments where he’s performed but ….

Having the World Cup in India will stand to Moeen. He has a lot of experience there and it suits his game. Jacks and Livingston will challenge for his spot though. Jacks might yet open, one innings by Roy doesn’t mean he will be on the world cup team.

Root, Bairstow, Woakes and Stokes walk back into that team and it’s a different animal completely.

Experience is one thing, he just looks physically past it. Not scoring many runs, not getting many wickets, not moving that efficiently in the field. Going on 36. I wonder… hmmmm

this is going to be tight… one more wicket and the tail is exposed, Parnell ‘can’ bat but it’s not much to come after.

if this run chase is successful I think it’s the 20th all time successful ODI run chase.

Ali drops Jansen… not an easy chance, not a difficult one either though. Catchable.

Post edited by Strumms on

England were :

14/3 and then 129/3 after 30 overs

346/7 after 50 overs

217 runs scored in the last 20.

😳

do England have the bowlers to defend on a dry pitch on a ground with small boundaries ?

On paper they do but for various reasons they’re not at their peak here. Stone was the pick in the last game and he’s not playing today.

Incredible partnership to rescue that. Nice cameo by Moeen too, after a good innings the last game as well. Not completely done for yet.

South Africa made to pay for resting their best bowlers and when they need to win to qualify for the World Cup too. Crazy. Probably resting to play in the SA2020

Going to script so far. Bored of the pitch talk to be honest, India can simply point to the scorecards and show their batsmen making runs on them.

Shocked to see Australia left out Travis Head. Never mind all the runs he’s scored but his bowling is very handy. Looked more threatening than Lyon in the last Sydney game. He’s a bit like Root bowling, can come on and make the main spinner look like the part timer.

I’d say the Travis Head omission is down to the fact he has a pretty indifferent record against the Indians, both home and away.

his overall average vs India im seeing is 29.9. He has never scored a hundred against them and only managed 2 half centuries, that’s over 10 innings

• Advertisement

Ponting should have been dropped for Indian tours on that thinking. Head was in great form and deserved an opportunity to fix those numbers.

All by the bye anyway whoever Australia select. Rohit is an animal at home and they bat so deep it’s hard to see them being too troubled.

Advertisement