Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Rose window is almost certainly lost. :( A thousand years gone up in smoke. Thankfully we have a scary level of information about every piece in the place and it can be rebuilt and will even reignite old skills mixed with the latest as it is being rebuilt.

Completely laser mapped a couple of years ago wasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Rose window is almost certainly lost. :( A thousand years gone up in smoke. Thankfully we have a scary level of information about every piece in the place and it can be rebuilt and will even reignite old skills mixed with the latest as it is being rebuilt.

The skill of working in stained glass is still very much in plentiful supply. The only thing that would stop them being restored would be the cost and I don't think that will be a factor for this particular building.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Bollocks, they should just throw up a shopping mall or a mega starbucks there.
    Understandable reply as one suspects those would be more your speed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

touts wrote: »
    Unless someone saw it start and was able to say precisely what happened it's too early to say. I'd imagine there has to be an investigation which will take some time. All they can do for tonight is keep saying it was probably an accident to stop idiots burning down every mosque in Paris.

If it was Jihadi Arson, it would drive a civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Even when it is restored, it won't be the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

Anteayer wrote:
    I'd say it's almost definitely an accidental issue. Sadly those buildings tend to go up very quickly because of the huge open space and the structures being so dependent on the roof.

Nothing confirmed obviously, but on the tv they are speculating that its related to the ongoing restoration work on the roof.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

branie2 wrote: »
    Even when it is restored, it won't be the same

No, never.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Understandable reply as one suspects those would be more your speed.

Come on, it's AH.
    No one was killed!

It's not a tragedy, really.
    a lot worse has happened in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I'm sure it will be restored to its former glory.

One of the things being reported a lot on French media is that quite a lot of the artworks and even the external statues had been temporarily removed for conservation work. So a lot of the artwork has been inadvertently saved.

Incredible to think it was an iconic place in the early 1400's and we lost it tonight.

DT738.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Come on, it's AH.
    No one was killed!

In fairness I don’t think you need someone to die before a tragedy can be declared. Looking at the history of Notre Dame and what it not only means to the French people but people around this planet, it’s one of the most historically significant and loved buildings on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Come on, it's AH.
    No one was killed!

Read the thread and gauge people’s reactions to this. It was a tragedy.

You’ll see that you are a mile off with the tone of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,446 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Anteayer wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be restored to its former glory.

One of the things being reported a lot on French media is that quite a lot of the artworks and even the external statues had been temporarily removed for conservation work. So a lot of the artwork has been inadvertently saved.

Here is a piece from the New York Post on what was removed before the works started.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/11/work-begins-on-notre-dame-cathedral-restoration/slide-1/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Bear in mind Notre Dame has been restored and altered multiple times over its history.

It was even turned into food and animal storage space during the revolution.

The spire itself was added between 1844 & 1864.

I'm very confident that if anywhere can restore a 800+ year old cathedral, Paris can.

Strumms wrote: »
    In fairness I don’t think you need someone to die before a tragedy can be declared. Looking at the history of Notre Dame and what it not only means to the French people but people around this planet, it’s one of the most historically significant and loved buildings on the planet.

Everyone dies, there are some things that transcend normal human frailty and foibles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The skill of working in stained glass is still very much in plentiful supply. The only thing that would stop them being restored would be the cost and I don't think that will be a factor for this particular building.

To add another bit of positiveness, there is a team that works pretty much year round on fixing and cleaning the Tower of London which was built during a similar time period. They use much the same materials and methods of that period so the knowledge and skills are not lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The French very sad about the collapse of the spire itself. Anyone else think that it was rather unimpressive, and a bit of a puny, tacked on piece, that many wouldnt have recognised in isolation, or even noticed it not there if it had be carefully removed ? Its the twin towers and the flying buttresses that are the glory of ND.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do we know the cause?

Such an iconic historic building and I assume would have many celebrations planned for Easter holy week

There were no workmen working today, and there was nothing on in the cathedral, but footage was released of a person in black with a yellow gilet walking across one of the towers half an hour after the fire started. I am guessing that person is being looked into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Do we know the cause?

Such an iconic historic building and I assume would have many celebrations planned for Easter holy week

Someone had the hump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It is a sad day. The only positive thing I can say is that there are no confirmed deaths from the Notre dame fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

Suckit wrote:
    There were no workmen working today, and there was nothing on in the cathedral, but footage was released of a person in black with a yellow gilet walking across one of the towers half an hour after the fire started. I am guessing that person is being looked into.

I really hope it was an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Suckit wrote: »
    Do we know the cause?

Have you any source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭thomil

To add another bit of positiveness, there is a team that works pretty much year round on fixing and cleaning the Tower of London which was built during a similar time period. They use much the same materials and methods of that period so the knowledge and skills are not lost.

Most cathedrals will have similar teams. I caught a documentary on Cologne Cathedral a few years ago where they stated that once you've reached one end of the cathedral with your repairs & restoration work, you can go right back to the beginning. These things, particularly romanic & gothic cathedrals, are a permanent work in progress, so the talent and know how should definitely be there.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Yes. There will be no issues with any of the skills necessary.

For Forks Sake shared this in another thread. Might be useful to you.
    https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1117861813369155584

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

typical work wear

You may be trolling but it is showing a deep problem.

Infowars? Why denigrate this thread.

• Advertisement

typical work wear

The way this thread can go I think he's implying it was a cyclist wot dun it.

Advertisement