Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit: Threat to the Integrity of the Single Market

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

jelem wrote: »
    oh really - i thought i lived in a eu cash dustbin on atlantic coastline which can see companies move to cheap
    low cost new eu countries leaving unemployed behind and after eire tax given to those same companies for
    start up and provide jobs in eire. did eu give dell grants for moving to low cost poland and provide jobs there?.

Perhaps you do live in an EU cash dustbin but I don't know what that is or what it has to do with the integrity of the single market.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Hermy wrote: »
    Perhaps you do live in an EU cash dustbin but I don't know what that is or what it has to do with the integrity of the single market.
    eu is\will force border -
    what i get\pick up is the irish are constantly thinking and stating it is uk that is
    the one at fault. when the eu is\has its agenda as once voiced by some that uk
    will suffer\pay for leaving and hence deter others such as italy\spain.
    All the rest is sovereignity issues for which eu has to step back from ie fishing waters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

eu is\will force border...
    Sadly, we may have to do this to protect the Single Market.
    what i get\pick up is the irish are constantly thinking and stating it is uk that is the one at fault...
    Given that they've lied through their teeth about the true nature of Brexit it is very much the UK's fault.
    when the eu is\has its agenda as once voiced by some that uk will suffer\pay for leaving and hence deter others such as italy\spain...
    Again this is all on the UK - by their deeds and misdeeds they will suffer and pay for their decision to leave the EU in the manner that they have chosen to do so.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yes the EU and its members need to maintain the integrity of the single market and keep it protected from whatever garbage the UK might let in to itself to get trade deals done quickly with other countries.

FYI Ireland is the EU so talking as if they are separate entity somehow is a bit ignorant of the situation at this stage
    what i get\pick up is the irish are constantly thinking and stating it is uk that is
    the one at fault.

They voted to change the status quo, they voted in governments who have lied repeatedly and the current one signed up to an agreement that would ensure no border and within 12 months is reneging on it but you think the EU is at fault?
    when the eu is\has its agenda as once voiced by some that uk

Evidence please of any person in a position of prominence in the EU saying this like the council president or president of the commission etc and not just a random MEP.
    All the rest is sovereignity issues for which eu has to step back from ie fishing waters.

Why? Do you understand how trade and negotiations for agreements work in any way?

Here's a good starter i like to show people like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Won't: reality forces the border as a consequence of UK actions. Where in history or the world is this mythical no border outside of the single market?
    And why if it was so easy did the UK not implement it until they joined the single market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

when the eu is\has its agenda as once voiced by some that uk
    Please: are you honestly saying that the EU should give the UK all or most of the benefits of the single market but none/almost none of the obligations?
    Are you honestly suggesting that the EU should damage and give away its businesses and industry for the benefit of the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

Its great to see this thread looking at alternative routes out of this mess, really interesting discussion.

With all the possibilities unraveling its looking like moving to a hard border, despite how depolable that idea is to the majority of people on the Island. We wont leave or impact in any way our membership of or access to the EU. For some posters to suggest that we can "speed up" to a referendum to change this just shows no understanding of how "European" Ireland is.

Nobody wants a hard border or to destroy cross border trade, agri processing etc. but the UK voted for this - not us and we cant fix it for them. They cant have the Brexit that the English want and keep the status quo in the North, but thats really is up to them. Do they want a full Brexit at the expence of society in the North? it looks that way, why else persist with the IMB...

Jelem - We arent the economic basket case you think, we have no isssue paying for a border IF needs must - the UK's actions will determine that.

Advertisement