Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikepacking: Routes, queries, gear, etc.

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm looking to do some bikepacking, I have a Trek 1.7 road bike and a Bakfiets Cargobike. The Cargobike is out because its e-assist and I want a normal bike, its also 45kg before you put anything in it. I might be wrong, but I'm not sure the road bike is suitable for a few reason.

• I plan on taking back roads, greenways and blueways. Some don't have great surfaces so at very least I'd have to switch out tyres with something more suitable (provided I have clearance to do so). But at the same time I don't want a mountain bike.
    • Before I do anything with the road bike its going to need around 250e put into it to sort issues with it.
    • Road bike riding position is very far from comfortable for me, doing hours in the saddle on it is not something I'd be looking forward to. This is why my cargobike has a upright riding position.

I'm looking to do this on a budget but at same time try future proof with idea of doing other trips to UK or Europe over next few years so I'd like to keep this in mind for holding bags on the bike, particularly having the ability to hold stuff on the front forks (which my road bike can't).

Anyone have any suggestions for a suitable bike that is less then 700/800?

Advertisement